California Children voters 2004

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 10:22 AM

Nikki peeks in OT, having been left with a job to do by Rov.  She's not sure where to place her "sign," so she tacks it up to the main wall quickly and rushes out!!  :blush:  ;)

Californian children as young as 14 could be given the right to vote under proposals to increase interest in politics.
Under the plans, put forward by four Democrat state senators, they would be able to cast ballots in state and local elections.

But their vote would not have equal weight to that of an adult.

For example, a 14 year old would only get a "quarter" of a vote. A 16 or 17 year old could constitute "half" an adult voter.

Full Article

And reprinted in part with permission because Rov had to go.....

Nikki Peppermint: Addicted to Online RPs...... says:
The news guy just said CA lawmakers are thinking of proposing a change to the consititution....giving 16 year olds half a vote and 14 year olds a quarter vote in state elections!

Javert-- Cope. says:
That would be incredibly unconstitutional...

Yeah, so 15 year olds don't matter?

Javert-- Cope. says: LOL  Yeah... you can't do that tho  . But I'm guessing the guy who proposed it is a Democrat  

Probably...they didn't say.

I guess they're trying to get more people to vote!

Javert-- Cope. says:
Californian children as young as 14 could be given the right to vote under proposals to increase interest in politics.
Under the plans, put forward by four Democrat state senators, they would be able to cast ballots in state and local elections.

Javert-- Cope. says:
Yeah, I knew it  (and) No, it's just that the younger you are, the more likely you are to be a Democrat  

LOL!!!!!!!

Javert-- Cope. says:
It's blatant political selfishness with a noble-sounding motive  
Javert-- Cope. says:
I like it  

If I were political, that would make an interesting thread  

Javert-- Cope. says:
Oh, wait...

Javert-- Cope. says:
"The amendment would also not violate the US constitution, as long as it only applied to state and local ballots.  Okay, that works  

ooooooh?

Javert-- Cope. says:
Yeah... like, the little mutants wouldn't be able to vote for president, senator, etc.

LOL!!!! Yeah, it did say state and local, huh?

Javert-- Cope. says:
Oh, yeah, your state can do any mind-bogglingly stupid think it wants

LOL!!!!!!!!
Thank you    

Javert-- Cope. says:
apots  

Javert-- Cope. says:
You know, that would probably be a huge help to Arnold, come to think of it.
"I can vote for some old democrat or the Terminator. Ooh, that one's a thinker..."

Yeah, all his young male fans  .

Javert-- Cope. says:
And female fans, you sexistail  

Then I got the job to start this....so have at you, if this is interesting!!!  :blush:  :)

#2 Appreciate

Appreciate
  • Islander
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 10:25 AM

Hey Javert!  Mr. Teacher in Training!!

It is TACTLESS, at best, to refer to your subjects to be as "little mutants."

You are incorrigible! :p

Nice thread, Nik ;)

Kathy
"Any dolt with half a brain/Can see that humankind has gone insane
To the point where I don't know if I'll upset the status quo
If I throw poison in the water main..."
- Billy (aka Dr. Horrible) in My Eyes from the AWESOME Dr. Horrible's SingAlong Blog

#3 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 10:33 AM

"Longer Summer breaks,less Homework"  yes issues for the teen voter would support.  Next up the ballot about softserve Icecream being a right not a privilage.

Jeeze! CA land of Fruits,Nuts,and Flakes strikes again.  

What next giving pets the right to vote? maybe the cattle on the dairy or beef farms?

#4 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 10:36 AM

G1223, on Mar 9 2004, 09:31 AM, said:

What next giving pets the right to vote? maybe the cattle on the dairy or beef farms?
Cows already have the right to vote in Wisconsin.

Okay, I made that up.

Edited by Drew, 09 March 2004 - 10:37 AM.

"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#5 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 10:41 AM

It isn't a bad idea.  I've seen a documentary about experiments in (Holland I think) Europe with even younger children - where special classes are organized to talk about issues, and help children speak with their own voices - and these classes are the voice of children to the government.  I think it is erroneous to assume that kids will vote for no homework when given the chance to be responsible. Rather - I think they have genuine concerns about the world they are going to inherit and they ought to be given a voice.

The only problem I have with this is that I don't know how children form sufficiently independent opinions, or avoid being imposed on by adults.

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#6 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 10:46 AM

Handmaiden07, on Mar 9 2004, 09:39 AM, said:

The only problem I have with this is that I don't know how children form sufficiently independent opinions, or avoid being imposed on by adults.
I don't think they can. And when I consider the strong ties between the NEA and the Democratic party, I'm sure this is a terrible idea.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#7 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 10:56 AM

Ties??? That is conjoined twin syndrome Drew

#8 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 11:27 AM

When this hit the news last night my comment to my husband was:

"Of all the dumb, stupid ideas to be forth by our *oh-so-brilliant* (not!) CA legislature - this one takes the cake for being the dumbest."

I think even less of this idea this morning.

#9 Rommie's Ronin

Rommie's Ronin

Out Of The Silent Planet

• Islander
  • 815 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 01:11 PM

1/3? 1/4?  Is that anything like slaves being 1/3 of a person?  I thought people were people, or at least that's what the US Constitution says.

[ARNIE]Noooo...der all doooomed!!![/ARNIE]

Edited by Lexa's Ronin, 09 March 2004 - 01:12 PM.

"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been and never will be." ---John Wayne

http://www.smokingse...n.com/swafr.htm

#10 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 01:37 PM

Welcome to California! Where we let people whpo shouldn't be here get welfare and driver's licenses, and we let the kiddies have a vote! :eek4:

Oh please, let the big one come and make California slide off into the ocean (after I get out, of course!)

#11 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 07:33 PM

I think its an incredibly bad idea. Now I'm all for politicians listening to youngsters honest concerns - they are future voters - but letting them vote, ah, no, ..but then again I don't think you should be able to vote until you've done some form of civil service - be it a volunteer fireman, or librarian, or soldier.

Edited by Shalamar, 09 March 2004 - 07:33 PM.

#12 UoR11

UoR11
  • Islander
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 08:01 PM

This reminds me of school assembly when I was in 8th grade. Our idiot congress-critter LaFalse (I swear, that's his name!) Was speaking and mentioned something about increasing Social Security. My brother, who was in 7th grade, raised his hand and asked "Why do you think it's right to give us debt we couldn't vote for to bribe old people into voting for you?" LaFalse, in maybe the only true statement ever by a politican, laughed and said "Because you can't vote"  :glare:
Yes, I am an economist. Yes, I do frequently sing "Can't Buy Me Love". No, I don't see any contradiction there.

#13 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 08:21 PM

Funny yes but true and not funny at the same time...it's called pasing the buck.....
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#14 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 12:45 AM

Ooh, this is a *bad* idea. I've occasionally idly thought that perhaps pre-hormonal-upsurge kids might be allowed to vote, because some can be rather wise before their hormones get all carbonated. ;) However, that would be, say, ages 7 through 10 voting... :eek: So, no, not really, but at least they're sometimes smarter than teenagers. ;)

then again I don't think you should be able to vote until you've done some form of civil service - be it a volunteer fireman, or librarian, or soldier.

Oh, good, I've suffered for my right to vote, in your view, by dealing with psycho patrons/customers -- library staff, bookstore staff... ;)
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#15 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 12:56 AM

Shalamar, on Mar 10 2004, 01:31 AM, said:

I think its an incredibly bad idea. Now I'm all for politicians listening to youngsters honest concerns - they are future voters - but letting them vote, ah, no, ..but then again I don't think you should be able to vote until you've done some form of civil service - be it a volunteer fireman, or librarian, or soldier.
If I understand you correctly Shal, you feel a businessman who has been diligent all his life and paid his taxes and beena  good neighbour et all, shouldn't be allowed to vote unless he's doe community work?

If that is an accurate description of what you mean, can you give me some more detail as to why you think this is a good idea?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#16 Rommie's Ronin

Rommie's Ronin

Out Of The Silent Planet

• Islander
  • 815 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 01:06 AM

Shalamar, on Mar 10 2004, 12:31 AM, said:

Shades of Starship Troopers!!!

That's an interesting idea, but what about those who can't serve due to disabilities or other medical conditions?
"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been and never will be." ---John Wayne

http://www.smokingse...n.com/swafr.htm

#17 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 01:36 AM

Yes it is shades of starship trooper- the book, not that Blankety blankty aweful movie of the same name.

I feel that contributing to the running of the country by doing 'community/local/state/national service is a good  idea..perhaps like this...

Joe graduated highschool, and that summer attends the summer volunteers firefighters school they have at A &M. He gets his certificate over the summer lives on campus in a dorm room - gets paid a modest stippend. He goes back to Whereverville, and gets a regular job ( or attends college - which ever ) for the next three years he is also a volunteer firefighter either in his home town or in the town/city around his college. After three years of volunteering he has earned his right to vote.

Jane his twin sister  goes to college and gets a degree in say...econimics..but every summer she worked as a part of a group builing homes for needy families, or working in an eldercare facility...after a period of time shes 'earned' the right to vote...

If you remember in Starship troopers it is clearly said that there were far more ways to 'earn' your citizenship thatn just being in the military.  Most people miss or forget those few short paragraphs but they impressed the heck out of me.  Some one with a disibility that prevents them from doing strenuous, or even much physical work could read to the blind, or do light office work.

and CH - the reason I think this is a sound idea- is that I feel that voteing is a privilidge, some thing that should be valued - and too many people don't value a thing unless they've paid for it....

and as for taxes..lets not go there ...

Edited by Shalamar, 10 March 2004 - 01:38 AM.

The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#18 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 01:53 AM

HubcapDave, on Mar 9 2004, 06:35 PM, said:

Welcome to California! Where we let people whpo shouldn't be here get welfare and driver's licenses, and we let the kiddies have a vote! :eek4:

Oh please, let the big one come and make California slide off into the ocean (after I get out, of course!)
I agree on all counts with you hubcapdave.  What the HELL happened to California???  What?!  I friggin live here, and I'm confused and shocked at the same friggin time.

"Little Mutants"  don't belong in the voters booth because they don't generally know enough about politics.  Heck, most of them don't know enough about politics.  We're talking about kids growing out of Yu-Ghi-Oh for goodness sake.  Let the kids be kids just a little longer.  They have the rest of their lives to be adults.

Dear God, help me get out of this stupid state.  Other states are laughing at us as we speak.  I mean need to change my identity and fake my past if this keeps up.

On behalf of California, I am so, so sorry...
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: California, Children voters, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users