#1 Anna

Anna

Island Native

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 03:54 AM

See the new design for the "World Cultural Center."

http://www.cnn.com/2...t.ap/index.html

This will definitely change the New York skyline.

Anna
Seldom do we regret words we do not speak.

--------------

Amendment X: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

#2 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,178 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:19 AM

That was the most confusing picture I've ever seen. I hope it looks good in movies and tv shows and the like.

Rommie :whatsthat:
Posted Image

#3 Anna

Anna

Island Native

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:26 AM

If you click on "Interactive: The winning plan," it will give you a couple more views of the new buildings.
Seldom do we regret words we do not speak.

--------------

Amendment X: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

#4 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,178 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:31 AM

RPITA, on Feb 27 2003, 05:28 PM, said:

If you click on "Interactive: The winning plan," it will give you a couple more views of the new buildings.
One headache a day is enough for me, thank you. ;)

Rommie :whatsthat:
Posted Image

#5 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:34 AM

I don't know if I like the looks of it, but I could get used to it....
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#6 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:39 AM

:blink:  :blink:

Umm... Okay...

*goes off to find some dramamine*
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#7 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:40 AM

That's .... uhh... different.  I'm glad they're leaving part of the site as a memorial, though.... :)
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#8 tyrsway

tyrsway

'survivor'

• Islander
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:41 AM

Thanks RPITA!!

It look very futuristic!!
"...survivor's attitude".

#9 Kaimia

Kaimia

Mystical Elf

• Islander
  • 699 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:43 AM

It does look futuristic.  I'm not sure if I like it or not...I suppose I could get used to it, but... :eek:

Kai
"Sex is an evolutionary enigma." -Kai's biology textbook

Sed non culpa mea est! -Ovid

The truth is rarely pure and never simple.  Modern life would be very tedious if it were either, and modern literature a complete impossibility!  -Algernon from The Importance of Being Earnest

#10 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:58 AM

Yes it will.  This is not the one I favored, but is better than most of the official ones proposed.  I look forward to seeing these new ones rise.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#11 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 05:16 AM

I like it.  Especialy the symbolism of the 1,776 foot tall spire.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#12 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 06:01 AM

Well, it's not as much fun, as the four towers, with the largest one in the middle.

But, it seems like a busy design, that seems to incorperate what everybody seems to want out the site, more or less. :cool:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#13 Alexandria

Alexandria

Proud Bekaneer

• Islander
  • 870 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 06:01 AM

It was something different. It looks strange, it will take some getting used to.

Alexandria
Beka: They say it takes a minute to find something special in a person, an hour to appreciate them, and day to love them but it takes an entire life to forget them.
Tyr: Beka I wish that I could explain...
Beka: Forget it Tyr

#14 Banapis

Banapis

Tilting at Shadow Depositories

• Islander
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 06:57 AM

WOW! :eek:

That's *incredibly* ugly.

Granted, I tend to be architecturally conservative...  but boy is that oogly.

Banapis

#15 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 07:18 AM

Wow!  :eek: I'm not sure if I like it or hate it but I think I could get used to it. It definitely stands out...
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#16 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 10:31 AM

i like it

it's different
the Twin towers were just large towers of which there were two

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#17 MegL

MegL
  • Islander
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 11:24 AM

Well I was surprised and pleased with the results :) .  

They had a vote on the top six or so designs a while back (which included a plan that had a building that looked like a Tic Tac Toe board :wacko: ), over on cnn.com, and this is the one I picked out.  

I never pick out winners, so this is why it surprised me. However, what I like about this design is something I've yet to hear anyone on TV or in print mention....

The big spiral looks like a candle burning  - it'll be very impressive it they can pull that off in real life (and a great memorial IMHO) :heart:

Meg

#18 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 05:36 PM

UG-LEEEE!!!

Geez, can we have a do-over? I liked some of the designs by fourth-graders better.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#19 Banapis

Banapis

Tilting at Shadow Depositories

• Islander
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 09:00 PM

^ Once again, I am moved to observe that Drew is clearly a man with a discerning eye and impeccable good taste. ;) :D

Banapis

#20 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 09:03 PM

Hmmm . . . I dunno.  Based on the two images, I don't like it.  Maybe more finalized models will look better . . . artist renderings, etc.

I'll withold my final judgement until I see something a little clearer . . .

But I like the spire . . .

-Nick

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New WTC, New York

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users