Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

So what happened to the car locks in Vegas?

Nevada Las Vegas 2004

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 02:07 AM

http://www.theage.co...l?from=storyrhs

Even in a town where the lovestruck can select from a roster of Elvis lookalikes to marry them at 4am, what happened three weeks ago in Las Vegas was pretty strange, even by the locals' standards. Late on the morning of February 21 - nobody is too precise about the exact time, initial location, or actual identity of the first caller - someone rang a locksmith and complained the remote-control locking system on the caller's late-model car was refusing to respond. The old-fashioned key, linked to the same circuitry, wouldn't work either, so could the locksmith send over a technician to fix whatever had gone wrong?

A couple of minutes later, another locksmith's phone rang. Different caller. Same problem.

By the end of the day, the best estimate is that police, fire brigade, locksmiths, car dealerships and tow-truck services had received at least 200 calls from motorists, and many who are still puzzling over the February 21 incident put the figure as high as five times that.

I have seen 3 or 4 articles about this but it's really low key. And strange. Ya'll heard anything?

more articles

http://www.reviewjou...s/23271330.html

News reports of a similar phenomenon several years ago in Washington state suggested the outages were linked to the arrival of military aircraft carriers to Bremerton.

In March 2001, the keyless entry failures began at the same time the aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson returned to Bremerton. Then in April of that year, the outages began one day after the carrier USS Abraham Lincoln arrived at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard.

#2 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 04:29 AM

Don't know what caused it, but this is fascinating! :D
Per aspera ad astra

#3 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 06:57 AM

You know what's near Las Vegas?

Groom Lake AKA Area 51.

Somebody call Art Bell.

-cs™

#4 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 09:17 AM

The Bremerton example makes me wonder if a radar or other powerful transmitter was operating that happened to jam the locks.  That said it is curious why it didn't also take out half the TVs, PCs, and other electronic equipment in town.  You want a riot sometime sail a Tico into San Diego and then crank the SPY-1 radar up to full power. ;)
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#5 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 10:38 AM

This sounds like a crime scene.

Wait--- people *can't* get into other peoples' cars?

No. That's not a crime scene.

Although you just know Grissom and the crew are going to have this come up in some episode next season.

Who who! Who who!

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#6 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 10:46 AM

You know I read both links last night, but didn't post a comment but I was certain that one of the links mentioned a phone call to Art Bell...

and it's interesting to note that Nellis was at the time 'ramping up' for Red Flag...could something have had a output spike?
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#7 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 01:01 PM

Dan cues up her X-Files audio tape
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."