• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 03:30 PM

In the "COOOOOOOOOOL!" department, my boss has said that he might be willing to be the vice president...

er, for John Kerry. :eek:

File it under, "One of the Few Things That May Persuade Me To Vote for Kerry and Like It".

http://news.yahoo.co...ain_1&printer=1

McCain said he would consider the unorthodox step of running for vice president on the Democratic ticket — in the unlikely event he received such an offer from the presidential candidate.

"John Kerry (news - web sites) is a close friend of mine. We have been friends for years," McCain said Wednesday when pressed to squelch speculation about a Kerry-McCain ticket. "Obviously I would entertain it."

My guess might be that McCain is politicking to convince Bush to drop Cheney and pick up McCain. While there's bad blood between those two, it could happen. Or maybe McCain really means it, and also enjoys making Bush sweat. Either way, highly interesting.

I love politics.

<Incidentally, if McCain was on either ticket, that ticket would have a very strong chance of getting my vote. While that's to be expected, as I'm an AZ resident, I bet that would be true to some extent nationally as well>

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 10 March 2004 - 03:31 PM.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 03:32 PM

Or McCain is just very noted for feeding his ego and backstabbing his own party.   :lol:  ;)
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#3 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 03:34 PM

^

True! But McCain is entitled to an ego, and the GOP deserves a bit of backstabbing. As a fiscal conservative, they've betrayed him over the past three years...  and that doesn't even begin to touch the shennanigans that went on in the 2000 primary season. I see no compelling reason why he should be loyal to the GOP.

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#4 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 03:36 PM

I'd go for McCain for VP over Chaney.  Chaney his dealing with poor health and this would pull some of theradicals in the republican party closer to the party line. Also it might force the party into a less stringent positionoh the issues of the far right. I mean both McCain and Bush favor a strong America.

McCain working with Kerry I do not see it happeneing. Kerry is likely to go with Edwards as long as he brings the south along with him.

#5 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 03:38 PM

^

Plus, a McCain veep would more or less neutralize the 'war hero' issue for Kerry... or, if Kerry/McCain, make Bush/Cheney look REALLY bad. Either way, it sounds like a good move to me...

#6 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 03:43 PM

Rov: that doesn't even begin to touch the shennanigans that went on in the 2000 primary season.

Or the fact that McCain’s hotheaded nature and personality got himself into trouble from time to time but then that would be far easier to push off onto Bush.  Hardly someone I would want in a position of power.

G1223: I'd go for McCain for VP over Chaney.

Rice, Pataki, or even Franks would be far wiser choices for VPs than McCain.  Plus in the long term it keeps a man who should never sit in the White House far away from it.     And on the war hero side...  Franks tops Kerry anyday and is far more personable than McCain will ever be. ;)

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 10 March 2004 - 03:44 PM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#7 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 03:53 PM

I see McCain as VP with Rice Stepping inot his role for 2008  with McCain going to the President's slot. My reasoning is this. We need to get the spending under control. McCain has a rep as a fiscally responsible politician. He takes Rice in which means a lot of forgien policy experince (So he can use her on a lot of overseas visits while lowering the spending here.)

Right now we need to spend money to rebuild Iraq and Afganistan. We need to spend to restock the amrory from both wars. We need to also spend on intellegence gathering. As well as the wetwork when that intell gives us the bad guys. (No I do not mind terrorists being killed without due process as they are a danger to the US)

But in four years we can be in a good spot to be able to look at lowering government growth or even stopping it.

#8 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 04:02 PM

^

Kind of a funny story G... in four years, it may well be too late. Reducing the deficit is going to be painful enough as it is. With four more years of Bush's economic 'plan', it may well become nigh-impossible. Since the odds of the Democrats retaking congress are ratherslim, that means the best option for fiscal conservatives is to vote Democratic, and encourage congressional gridlock. While that's a bitter pill to swallow-- especially given Kerry's massive spending iniatives-- a McCain veep would make that quite a bit easier. One of the number one priorities of congress has to be repealing the tax cuts for those making over 200,000, and earmark at least a portion of it for deficit reduction. The deficit is quickly getting out of hand, and is ultimately unsustainable. It's that simple.

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 10 March 2004 - 04:03 PM.

#9 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 04:07 PM

If it comes down to Kerry or Bush, I will (of course) vote for Kerry.  Having McCain as VP would make that a bit more palatable... :suspect:
Proud ally and supporter of Euro-snobs and international flakes.

Signs your coworker may be able to manipulate time:  "Is this the first time you've called here before?"

Signs your coworker needs to work on their vocabularly:  A:  "It opens up in Notepad and it's just jibberish."  B:  "So you can't understand it?"

#10 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 04:08 PM

Kerry/McCain would be a killer ticket.  I would like to see Edwards as VP, just because I like him a lot.  McCain/Edwards would be my dream ticket!!!
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#11 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 04:09 PM

GiGi-- Yeah, that would a great ticket too, although Edwards and McCain would be somewhat incompatiable. But the situation is what it is: We're stuck with Kerry, and the best we can do is try and supplement his weaknesses with a strong vice presidential candidate...

#12 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 05:10 PM

Is it even possible within the mechanics of the parties to have a ticket with one guy not being of that party? If not, McCain would have to finally make it official and switch his designation. (Of course, he'd have to anyway just because Kerry won't have him otherwise, and probably wouldn't anyway.)

#13 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 05:12 PM

Imagine... a fiscal conservative who's always worked against the Republicans switching to join a liberal Democrat to fight against the fiscally liberal policies of a Republican President who's usually attacked for being too conservative... :wacko:

#14 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 05:12 PM

Delvo-- As far as I know, there are no formal restrictcions that would prevent a Democrat/Republican ticket. However, yeah, McCain would probably have to give an angry public speech where he explained that he wasn't abandoning his party, but his party abandoned him, etc.

#15 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 05:32 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Mar 10 2004, 01:07 PM, said:

GiGi-- Yeah, that would a great ticket too, although Edwards and McCain would be somewhat incompatiable. But the situation is what it is: We're stuck with Kerry, and the best we can do is try and supplement his weaknesses with a strong vice presidential candidate...
Maybe politically incompatible, but I like them both!  (girl logic here, don't even try to figure it out   ;) )

Anyway, I would be all for a Kerry/McCain ticket.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#16 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 05:34 PM

GiGi, on Mar 10 2004, 03:30 PM, said:

Maybe politically incompatible, but I like them both!  (girl logic here, don't even try to figure it out   ;) )

Anyway, I would be all for a Kerry/McCain ticket.
Oh, hey, not just girl logic. :cool:. I totally understand where you're coming from.

But Edward's agenda was primarily domestic and cost an awful lot of money. Given the deficit and McCain's economic conservatism, it's unlikely he would go for much of it. I mean, in this insane hypothetical... ;).

#17 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 05:35 PM

Actually, a Democrat/Republican ticket may go part way towards healing the divisions that are so prevalent in America today. Bring both sides together a bit and all that.
Per aspera ad astra

#18 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 06:17 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Mar 10 2004, 02:32 PM, said:

Oh, hey, not just girl logic. :cool:. I totally understand where you're coming from.
:cool:

But Edward's agenda was primarily domestic and cost an awful lot of money. Given the deficit and McCain's economic conservatism, it's unlikely he would go for much of it. I mean, in this insane hypothetical... ;).

There could be balance between them, if they worked well together.  But, bottomline I am all for economic conservatism that is why I am kicking myself for voting against McCain in the primary against Bush.  I just thought no way Bush would win and McCain would beat Gore for sure.  Now I really wish McCain had won.  File it under stupid ideas 101!

#19 Fire_Storm20

Fire_Storm20

I love the smell of napalm in the moring...

• Islander
  • 187 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 06:19 PM

Looks like this just got the wrong end of a shotgun.  http://www.cbsnews.c...ain605167.shtml
:devil:

#20 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 06:28 PM

It's too bad about Mark Salter's statement. That could been a very cool idea.

Edited by Kevin Street, 10 March 2004 - 09:11 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2004, John McCain for VP, Bush

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users