Election 2004 GW Bush

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 07:31 PM

President Bush is running for a second term in a more polarized atmosphere than any president since the Gallup Poll began measuring the partisan gap in presidential job approval. To the extent that Republicans love Bush, Democrats loathe him.

In a USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup Poll last weekend, 91% of Republicans and 17% of Democrats approved of the job Bush is doing. No other president has had as big a gap since Gallup began measuring job approval by party in 1948.

http://story.news.ya...larizedoverbush

This certainly doesn't surprise me, but nevertheless  :eek:  :eek2:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#2 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 08:11 PM

I'm a uniter, not a divider. I refuse to play the politics of putting people into groups and pitting one group against another. -- George W. Bush
"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#3 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 08:13 PM

Heh. Yeah, and you see the same pattern here in OT... meaning the swing voters are more important than ever. :cool:
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#4 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 11:30 PM

QuantumFlux, on Mar 10 2004, 07:09 PM, said:

I'm a uniter, not a divider. I refuse to play the politics of putting people into groups and pitting one group against another. -- George W. Bush
Quite an accomplishment the Democrats have managed to pull off...

#5 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 11:53 PM

Yeah, okay, like he's more polarizing than Lincoln. Whatever. ;)

(I can be such a bitch, you know?) :p~

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#6 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 12:14 AM

There have definitely been more polarizing presidents but as they said he was the most polarizing since they started taking this pole. I've seen it happen and I'm still trying to present a more moderate course but it hasn't been working that well.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#7 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 12:50 AM

Delvo, on Mar 11 2004, 05:28 AM, said:

I thought President Bush was a republican? and while i'm on that, what does GOP stand for? i see it every now and again, and It's almost always used to refer to the republicans.

Edited by Cyberhippie, 11 March 2004 - 12:50 AM.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#8 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 12:55 AM

He is a Republican.  And GOP stands for Grand Old Party, though I can't remember why.
Proud ally and supporter of Euro-snobs and international flakes.

Signs your coworker may be able to manipulate time:  "Is this the first time you've called here before?"

Signs your coworker needs to work on their vocabularly:  A:  "It opens up in Notepad and it's just jibberish."  B:  "So you can't understand it?"

#9 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,654 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 07:29 AM

The Origin Of "GOP" 

A favorite of headline writers, GOP dates back to the 1870s and '80s. The abbreviation was cited in a New York Herald story on October 15, 1884; "' The G.O.P. Doomed,' shouted the Boston Post.... The Grand Old Party is in condition to inquire...."

But what GOP stands for has changed with the times. In 1875 there was a citation in the Congressional Record referring to "this gallant old party," and , according to Harper's Weekly, in the Cincinnati Commercial in 1876 to "Grand Old Party."

Perhaps the use of "the G.O.M." for Britain's Prime Minister William E. Gladstone in 1882 as " the Grand Old Man" stimulated the use of GOP in the United States soon after.

In early motorcar days, GOP took on the term "get out and push." During the 1964 presidential campaign, "Go-Party" was used briefly, and during the Nixon Administration, frequent references to the "generation of peace" had happy overtones. In line with moves in the '70s to modernize the party, Republican leaders took to referring to the "grand old party," harkening back to a 1971 speech by President Nixon at the dedication of the Eisenhower Republican Center in Washington, D.C.

Indeed, the "grand old party" is an ironic term, since the Democrat Party was organized some 22 years earlier in 1832.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#10 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 08:40 AM

Cardie, on Mar 11 2004, 07:27 AM, said:

Indeed, the "grand old party" is an ironic term, since the Democrat Party was organized some 22 years earlier in 1832.
The writer seems to miss the most obvious point of the term Grand or Gallant Old Party.  The 1870s was still the period of the bloody shirt waving over the Civil War.  Grand Old Party to me is a reference to the Party of Lincoln and the Party of Union.  The party that saved the United States as a whole rather than one that supported slavery and disunion like the Democrats.  The term GOP if anything served as a slight against the Democrats as it attempted to remind them where each party stood during the Civil War.  

Maybe the writer of that little blurb was a Democrat and just neglected to remember the history of their party. ;)
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#11 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 10:57 AM

CJ AEGIS, on Mar 11 2004, 01:38 PM, said:

Maybe the writer of that little blurb was a Democrat and just neglected to remember the history of their party. ;)
Well the writer must have also forgotten his party's action in the voting down of the civil rights bill of 1956 which included among the nay sayers JFK and LBJ.  who today are held up as examples of great Democrats.

#12 Munrock

Munrock

As for the monkey there is a wood

• Islander
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 11:10 AM

The UK's Labour Party used to be left and the Conservatives right.

The names don't mean f-all.  Anyone who thinks a political party, a nation, or any other ageing group still alludes to the principles it was founded on needs their head removed from the sand/clouds.
Lies: the real WMDs

"When minds have fed on falsehood for generations, these falsehoods constitute a prison from which it is difficult and painful to break out."
-Renato Constantino

#13 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 12:17 PM

Thanks for the brief Cardie

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#14 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 12:30 PM

Munrock, on Mar 11 2004, 09:08 AM, said:

The UK's Labour Party used to be left and the Conservatives right.

The names don't mean f-all.  Anyone who thinks a political party, a nation, or any other ageing group still alludes to the principles it was founded on needs their head removed from the sand/clouds.
LOL, Munrock.  :lol: I agree, actually.  :cool:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#15 Ilphi

Ilphi
  • Islander
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 12:40 PM

^

Tony Blair is the best conservative Prime Minister in years ;)
Yea, ere my hot youth pass, I speak to my people and say:
Ye shall be foolish as I; ye shall scatter, not save;
Ye shall venture your all, lest ye lose what is more than all;
Ye shall call for a miracle, taking Christ at His word.
And for this I will answer, O people, answer here and hereafter,
The Fool - Padraic Pearse

#16 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 02:03 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Mar 10 2004, 06:11 PM, said:

Heh. Yeah, and you see the same pattern here in OT... meaning the swing voters are more important than ever. :cool:
It's an interesting time for the old Orbis Terrarum, that's for sure.  :ninjadeath:  :look: :love:

EDIT: the fact that the ninja is on the left and the luvvy sign on the right is not intended to be any kind of statement, btw. Just wanted to make that clear.

Edited by Kevin Street, 11 March 2004 - 02:20 PM.

Per aspera ad astra

#17 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 03:59 PM

Munrock, on Mar 11 2004, 11:08 AM, said:

Anyone who thinks a political party, a nation, or any other ageing group still alludes to the principles it was founded on needs their head removed from the sand/clouds.
That should be applied to anyone who insults the proper exploration of history. ;)  The fact is that the Bloody Shirt and waving of it was a very real concept in US History.  Hence why Grand Old Party to allude back to the Civil War in the 1870s and the term stuck.  Of course some would rather jump to accusations and insults rather than taking it as a simple statement on history. ;)
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#18 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 04:30 PM

Well, if Kerry should win (assuming that he gets the nomination, and at this point I see no reason to believe he won't) then I don't think it'll be because voters are excited about the prospect of a Kerry presidency, but rather because there's been so much unfounded hatred stirred up against Bush that it would be a vote against Bush rather than a vote for Kerry.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#19 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 04:43 PM

Welcome to English politics, where we don't vote a party _in_ we vote a party _out_

Defy Gravity!

#20 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 06:10 PM

Cyberhippie, on Mar 10 2004, 11:48 PM, said:

Delvo, on Mar 11 2004, 05:28 AM, said:

I thought President Bush was a republican?
Yes. That's the point.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2004, GW Bush

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users