• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 11:09 PM

^ Right, if a law is unjust it doesn't matter how many people vote for it, it should not stand.  So it is up to the court to decide whether it is just or not.

Edited by GiGi, 12 March 2004 - 11:55 PM.

"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#42 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 11:12 PM

So is it right to prohibit Illegal aliens from getting the social services they need? I mean right now they get emergancy care but what about support while they are the mend. I mean if one is humane one must taker care of poor and helpless.... Right?

#43 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 11:54 PM

^ Say What?!
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#44 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 11:57 PM

CA voted to prohibit illegal aliens from getting access to social services. Except for emergancies. But doesn't that discriminate against these needy people?

#45 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 12:07 AM

We did?  When?  I don't remember voting on something like that.  

Even so, most of the constitutional rights are for citizens, that is discrimatory, but that is something done by most countries so it is not unusual.  I don't know if that is right or not in a broad sense but that is how it has been for hundreds of years.

What I was talking about a couple of posts ago was that the justness of a law is determined by the courts, not you, not me, the courts.  (at least this is how I understand it)

#46 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 12:34 PM

I think G is talking about Prop. 187, which was consequently struck down as unconstitutional by the courts (would have loved to seen the taffy pulling they managed to come up with that decision!)

#47 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 12:38 PM

HubcapDave, on Mar 13 2004, 09:32 AM, said:

I think G is talking about Prop. 187, which was consequently struck down as unconstitutional by the courts (would have loved to seen the taffy pulling they managed to come up with that decision!)
^ I don't remember that one, but I usually vote against proprositions unless we really, really need them.

As far as I know a lot of illegals were already getting benefits and welfare, all it takes is to have one child be born in the US.

#48 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 05:37 PM

I received this email today, but I thought I'd post it here instead of opening another one of those threads :p

Twelve Reasons Same-Sex Marriages Will Ruin Society

1. Homosexuality is not natural, just like eyeglasses, polyester, birth control and left handedness.

2. Heterosexual marriages are valid because they produce children. Infertile couples and old people should also not be allowed to get married.

3. Gay parents will raise gay children, just like straight parents raise straight children.

4. Straight marriage will become less meaningful. (Like Britney Spears's 55-hour just-for-fun marriage was meaningful)

5. Heterosexual marriage has been around a long time and shouldn't be changed. We should also bring back: women are property, blacks can't marry whites, and divorce should be illegal.

6. Gay marriage should be decided by the people not the courts, because the majority-elected legislatures, not courts, have always protected the rights of the minorities.

7. Gay marriage is not supported by the bible. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America.

8. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around straight people will make you straight.

9. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets even though a dog has no legal standing and cannot sign a marriage contract.

10. Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why we should also outlaw single parents.

11. Gay marriage will change the foundations of our society. Heterosexual marriage has been around for a long time, and we could never adapt to new social norms because we still haven't adapted to cars, desegregation or longer lifespan.

12. Civil unions, providing most of the same benefits as marriage with a different name are better, because a "separate but equal" institution is always constitutional. As we know, separate schools for African-Americans worked just great.

Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.

#49 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 06:18 PM

Someone posted this elsewhere here a few weeks ago. I still have the same response: :rolleyes:

#50 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 06:24 PM

^Sorry, I didn't see it. Those threads are alway l-o-n-g.
Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.

#51 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 07:11 PM

Enmar, on Mar 15 2004, 04:22 PM, said:

^ Those threads are alway l-o-n-g.
Really?

I nenver noticed! ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: California, LGBT, Same Sex Marriage, Supreme Court, Injunction

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users