9 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 08:46 PM

http://story.news.ya...rime_pigfarm_dc

Pork products processed and distributed from the farm of accused Canadian serial killer Robert Pickton may have contained human remains, police and health officials said on Wednesday.

Pickton raised and slaughtered pigs at the Port Coquitlam farm as a part-time occupation until his arrest at the property in February 2002, and police believe he gave or sold processed meat products to friends and acquaintances.

Pickton, 53, is awaiting trial in the killings of at least 22 of more than 60 missing Vancouver prostitutes who disappeared over the past decade and are feared to have been murdered at the dilapidated farm 20 miles east of Vancouver.

"Given the state of the farm, and what we know about the investigation, we cannot rule out the possibility that cross-contamination may have occurred," B.C. provincial Health Officer Perry Kendall told reporters in Victoria.

"Cross-contamination could mean that human remains did get into or contaminate some of the pork meat," Kendall said.

Officials stressed that the farm's pig slaughtering operation was not officially licensed and he did not sell processed meat to retail outlets.

"There is no evidence we are dealing with anything other than a very specific localized issue, with a specific number of local people," said Cpl. Catherine Galliford of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

Kendall said he was not contacted by the police until last month when they asked a "hypothetical question' about the potential health risk. He issued the alert when they later said it probably happened.

Details of evidence from the farm were presented in court last year at Pickton's preliminary hearing, but a court order prohibits reporters who covered the hearing from publishing details of what they heard until it is used in his trial, which will likely not start until next year.

Police defended the timing of their contacting health officials, saying it was needed to protect the investigation, although they also acknowledged more people may have received meat from Pickton than they had originally thought.

:crazy:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 10:59 PM

I saw this article in the wee hours of this morning and figured people didn't need to wake up this over their breakfast sausage or bacon...

Mother Lovett's meat pies?
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#3 Rommie's Ronin

Rommie's Ronin

Out Of The Silent Planet

• Islander
  • 815 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 11:39 PM

See? This is why I don't do pork.
"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been and never will be." ---John Wayne

http://www.smokingse...n.com/swafr.htm

#4 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 12:12 AM

^ I have a pig as a family member, so I don't do pork either.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#5 BizzyD17

BizzyD17

Doomed From The Start

• Islander
  • 774 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 12:45 AM

Haven't eaten pork since 7th grade's baby pig in a jar in science class.

#6 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 11:30 AM

Yet another reason to become vegegtarian!!

Not that I'm one, I've tried and I just like my filet mignon too much.
Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#7 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 11:31 AM

Yet another reason to become vegegtarian!!

Not that I'm one, I've tried and I just like my filet mignon too much.
Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#8 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 04:37 AM

My bologne has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R...

#9 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 06:28 AM

^^^

*snicker*
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#10 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 02:20 PM

okay.. I told Shalamar I wouldn't do this.. but.....  I can't resist....

Human:  The other white meat!

:whistle:

Corwin
"The Enemy is upon us, so Lock and Load, Brothers.  The Emperor Calls and the Forces of Chaos must be driven back.  Though all of us will fall, none of us shall fail!"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Public Health, Meat, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users