14 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 01:41 PM

http://www.sacbee.co...p-9447551c.html

ALISO VIEJO, Calif. (AP) - City officials were so concerned about the potentially dangerous properties of dihydrogen monoxide that they considered banning foam cups after they learned the chemical was used in their production.

:lol: and :cry:
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 Zanthra

Zanthra
  • Islander
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 01:45 PM

!!!!!!! ??????? This sounds like the joke I told my science teacher when I wanted a drink of water.  "May I go get some Dyhydrogen Monoxide?"

Then they would say "NO, thats poisonous!"

I think people here Monoxide and freak out.

#3 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 01:53 PM

Darn!, Dixie lost out on a major contract. :o
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#4 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 02:05 PM

Wow. Just, wow.

A geeky contact of mine recently sent me a joke e-mail campaign about the banning of dihydrogen monoxide...perhaps these city officials got the same thing in their inbox.... :D

#5 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 02:40 PM

The original story about this is about a 14-year-old who wrote up a petition for a science fair project about gullibility - he asked 50 people to sign it, 43 did, 6 declined, and 1 realized exactly what he was talking about.

http://www.snopes.com/toxins/dhmo.htm

Rhys
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#6 Cauda

Cauda

~~~~~~~~~~~>

• Islander
  • 608 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 03:17 PM

It's true! This deadly chemical is everywhere!
This website gives all the details:

http://www.dhmo.org/

Act now before it's too late! :eek2:
An enigma, wrapped up in a riddle, with a tail in the middle.

#7 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 04:18 PM

Well, it's been awhile since high school chemistry.....so I almost called upstairs to ask Anakam just what dihydrogen monoxide is.  Then I counted the atoms.... :rolleyes:

Interesting topic for a science report, BTW.  I am reminded vaguely of something I read once years ago:  someone did some kind of a poll on the Bill of Rights, and not only did most people not recognize it, many thought the ideas it contained were...errr.....un-American, IIRC.  :wacko:

Peridot

#8 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 04:39 PM

^^^Welcome back Peridot! :cool:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#9 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 05:09 PM

^  ^

Thanks, DWF.  I've got a thread up on the Beach, too.

Peridot

#10 Kelela

Kelela

treat your pets well

• Islander
  • 394 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 10:23 PM

:wacko: Only in ALISO VIEJO, CALIF. folks! The rest of us appreciate water...  :lol:
Kelela
If there's one thing I've learned .... it's to always have your flexibility in top working condition ;) -- Nikki Peppermint

Things to say when someone says "God Bless You" ----
sarcastic: Are you in charge of God's blessings? 'Cuz, I could use a few more...
humorous: Thanks - I need all the blessings I can get...
flirtatious: "He already did when I saw you"
chatty: "Did you know where the tradition of saying "God bless you" came from?"----
Handmaiden07

#11 Zanthra

Zanthra
  • Islander
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 10:56 PM

I like the site that links off of the www.dhmo.org site, about the benifets of the chemical.  I LOVE how they dont tell anyone the most common name for it, so people keep thinking that it is some strange chemical that they have never heard of, even if they do tell them it is beneficial.  Still are 90% of the people on this planet really that dumb???

Edited by Zanthra, 14 March 2004 - 10:57 PM.

#12 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

E.I.'s resident insomniac

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 11:56 PM

Zanthra, on Mar 14 2004, 09:54 PM, said:

Still are 90% of the people on this planet really that dumb???
Yes.

Did you really need to ask that? :p ;) :D
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

#13 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 12:38 AM

*rolls on the floor, giggling hysterically*  :lol: :D

Hehehe... I haven't been fooled by this since it came up in Science Olympiad in high school.  Maybe such experiences should be mandatory? :angel:
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#14 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 12:47 AM

Almost exactly the same thing was being said to have happened to a town in Colorado when I was in high school (1990-1994). I wonder if this is just one of those "urban legends" that just occasionally gets revamped with new names and more recent dates.

#15 ElJay

ElJay

Harperchondriac

• Islander
  • 4,821 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 04:34 PM

Personally, I think the stuff should be outlawed ... at least until it is made safe with the addition of copious amounts of caffiene, sugar, and either carbonation or milk.  What kind of a nut drinks that stuff raw?  ;)
US VETERAN AND PROUD OF IT!

Chivalry is a matter of both deeds and words.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: California, Aliso Viejo, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users