LGBT Tennessee criminalize being gay 2004

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:06 PM

Apparently, from how often people say that, Ex Islers really should start buying transparent covers for their computer parts.

#22 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:06 PM

Nick, on Mar 17 2004, 09:02 PM, said:

All of us ornery, opinionated, ExIsle pundits appear to be in agreement here.  Does this mean the apocalypse is at hand?

:lol:

-Nick
Yes, any second now 790 will convince the Lexx to destroy the Earth. :eek2:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#23 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:08 PM

All of us ornery, opinionated, ExIsle pundits appear to be in agreement here.  Does this mean the apocalypse is at hand?

-Nick
I'm not sure, but it looks like.

*Glances over the muffler around his head at AM ice skating.*

Hell seems to have frozen over...I find myself agreeing with people I more often then not DISAGREE with, usually vehemently.

*Glances out the window* And yep, it does appear that the sky is indeed falling.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#24 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:08 PM

Delvo -- you owe me a whole new computer for that...

My guess is soon this county's gonna try and outlaw Democrats...  :rolleyes:
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#25 Eclipse

Eclipse

Preview Guy

• Islander
  • 831 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:10 PM

Question for the "Exisle Legal Team":

"Crimes Against Nature" seems to be a "legal charge"
which is heard often. Is there really such a charge in
the criminal system and if so, how is it defined?

Thanks,
E.
Ashley Edward Miller said:
"Eclipse ...hmmmm .... for a minute, I thought you were someone important,
but, now I remember .... you're just that preview guy."

#26 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

The event that spawned this thread is not worth the bandwidth to comment on.

The thread itself, however, is majestic to behold. Go team!

Common sense lives again!

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#27 Gaiate

Gaiate

Spirit Blade

• Islander
  • 1,003 posts

-Nick

Without a doubt. :p :p :p

--Te
"This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is it vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished, as the once vital voice of the verisimilitude now venerates what they once vilified. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose vis-à-vis an introduction, and so it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V." -- V, making an first impression

"Dude . . . that was cool." -- My first impression of V

#28 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:11 PM

^^ No, like AM said decency is still decency and all oif us here despite our many differences, and occasional flare up are some of the finest people around.  And it's heartbreaking to see that people like this not only exist but have been elected by others....
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#29 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:14 PM

What's really scary is that I currently live in Western NC, near the TN border. Not sure how close that is to this county, but the fact that it's in the next state over is too close for comfort.

GOD save me from, how did Lil Put it? GORRAM Bigots...Because I don't think me and them will get along very well.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#30 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:14 PM

Yes they are not all nice people  who believe that homosexuals are not spawns of satan. wow big surprise. Are they going to make this work no. But forcing them accept homosexuals is just as wrong.

Protect the homosexuals from acts of violcent certinly. Take steps to punish thse who commit acts of violence also certainly. But forcing people to accept other people becasue some judge says they have to is not going to work.

#31 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:21 PM

It's not a matter of forcing acceptance it's a matter of ensuring equal treatment.  The former would involve something like the State telling the Catholic Church that they must allow gay marriage.  The latter involves allowing same sex civil unions.  Believe it or not there really IS a difference.  :)
Posted Image

#32 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:24 PM

On the bright side, you can be sure that this will be one of those pseudo-laws that sits around getting laughed at in those pass-it-along emails like a law against riding a polar bear on a public street while wearing a kimono.

In Missouri, there was once a bill that the author said was supposed to outlaw homosexual sex. But somebody figured that in order to properly speak Legalese you have to construct a rather long paragraph or two's worth of stuff into one really big sentence. In trying to precisely define "sex", they stuffed that sentence with so many clauses and prepositional phrases and mutli-layered modifiers that there were several conflicting ideas about what it ended up meaning. Some said it outlawed all sex. Some said it banned heterosexual sex. Some said it banned sex in private. Some said it either outlawed or legalized rape (either redundant or contradictory). Some said it was talking about oral sex, one way or the other. Some said it banned genital fondling, or outlawed masturbation while explicitly keeping it legal to fondle someone else. I've read the actual text, and I can tell you that what it really says is that the ONLY way sex can be allowed is if one participant is NOT willing and they are both wearing their clothes. :wacko:

And it passed at least one house of the legislature. Why? They just knew it was so silly that nothing would ever really come of it anyway and humored him.

Edited by Delvo, 17 March 2004 - 11:23 PM.

#33 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:30 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Mar 17 2004, 08:12 PM, said:

What's really scary is that I currently live in Western NC, near the TN border. Not sure how close that is to this county, but the fact that it's in the next state over is too close for comfort.
The county is just slightly west of the halfway point of a line connecting Chattanooga and Knoxville. Dayton is within it near the southern end. Its eastern border is a long linear lake that looks like a river reservoir dammed in Chattanooga.

Edited by Delvo, 17 March 2004 - 09:31 PM.

#34 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:37 PM

BTW, I'll go out on a limb here and venture a guess that this TN county government has equally progressive views on African Americans and other minorites as well as inter-racial marriage.

And FWIW, the "apocalypse is near" remark was just a lame attempt at being funny.  I'm not surprised at all that we're in agreement on this issue--we're all intelligent, rational people.  While we may have some very wide differences of opinion on all things, we're all fundamentally good people with strong grasps on common human decency.

Except Delvo.  He eats kittens. ;)

-Nick

#35 Gaiate

Gaiate

Spirit Blade

• Islander
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:41 PM

^

LOL!

Well, as long as he doesn't play poker with them, I guess. ;) :p

--Te
"This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is it vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished, as the once vital voice of the verisimilitude now venerates what they once vilified. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose vis-à-vis an introduction, and so it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V." -- V, making an first impression

"Dude . . . that was cool." -- My first impression of V

#36 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:43 PM

Nick said:

Except Delvo. He eats kittens.

Then Gaiate said:

Well, as long as he doesn't play poker with them, I guess.

I'd imagine it'd be hard to shuffle them....

:cool:

Edited by the 'Hawk, 17 March 2004 - 09:45 PM.

“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#37 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:50 PM

heheheh kitten paws hid sharp little claws, so good at snagging things...like the flesh of riffling fingers... :p

and Delvo doesn't eat kittens, he rescues them.  Jon and CJ are the culprits there.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#38 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:02 PM

Maybe they should pass a law that people in this county aren't allowed to leave it.

Rhys
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#39 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:05 PM

Rhys, on Mar 17 2004, 10:00 PM, said:

Maybe they should pass a law that people in this county aren't allowed to leave it.

Rhys
They did that, what do you think led to the inbreeding? :eek2:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#40 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:10 PM

Delvo, on Mar 17 2004, 09:22 PM, said:

I've read the actual text, and I can tell you that what it really says is that the ONLY way sex can be allowed is if one participant is NOT willing and they are both wearing their clothes. :wacko:

And it passed at least one house of the legislature. Why? They just knew it was so silly that nothing would ever really come of it anyway and humored him.
ROTFLOL!!!!  Just when I was thinking MO seemed like a pretty nice state! Rape is legal so long as you keep your clothes on! :suspect:

And um... re the original subject of this thread... how's about we just line up these 8 legislators and shoot them?  Seems that might solve several problems all at once...

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LGBT, Tennessee, criminalize being gay, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users