Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

TN county proposal to ban gay PEOPLE

LGBT Tennessee criminalize being gay 2004

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:13 PM

Nick, on Mar 17 2004, 09:35 PM, said:

BTW, I'll go out on a limb here and venture a guess that this TN county government has equally progressive views on African Americans and other minorites as well as inter-racial marriage.

And FWIW, the "apocalypse is near" remark was just a lame attempt at being funny.  I'm not surprised at all that we're in agreement on this issue--we're all intelligent, rational people.  While we may have some very wide differences of opinion on all things, we're all fundamentally good people with strong grasps on common human decency.

Except Delvo.  He eats kittens. ;)

-Nick
I have it on good authority that he's a full dues paying member of the cat rescue society. So the claims of kitten eating is just a spurious rumor. ;)

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#42 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,624 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:23 PM

the'Hawk, on Mar 17 2004, 09:41 PM, said:

Nick said:

Except Delvo. He eats kittens.

Then Gaiate said:

Well, as long as he doesn't play poker with them, I guess.

I'd imagine it'd be hard to shuffle them....

:cool:
Just tell that to Spike and Clem on Buffy.  They don't use them as cards, they use them as chips . . . and dessert, too.  ;)

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#43 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:32 PM

Cardie, on Mar 17 2004, 07:21 PM, said:

the'Hawk, on Mar 17 2004, 09:41 PM, said:

Nick said:

Except Delvo. He eats kittens.

Then Gaiate said:

Well, as long as he doesn't play poker with them, I guess.

I'd imagine it'd be hard to shuffle them....

Just tell that to Spike and Clem on Buffy.  They don't use them as cards, they use them as chips . . . and dessert, too.  ;)

Cardie
*falls on the floor laughing hysterically*
Posted Image

#44 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 11:07 PM

I can't believe I haven't read about this in the paper or heard it on the news here - Nashville.  But on a related subject, the Tennessee legislature is now on a roll with something about making same-sex unions that are legal in other states illegal and unrecognized here.  And somehow they've just managed not to pass a bill proposing an amendment to the state constitution about abortion.  Although it seems to have been about the constitution not guaranteeing a right to abortion - that doesn't exactly say a woman can't get one... but it was actually defeated after a "pro-life" congresswoman tried to add exceptions in the case of the mother's health or rape or incest.... This is the heart of the bible belt and the Baptist church (and some even more conservative).  I cringe reading the letters to the editor.  I don't know if these people are really in the majority around here but they certainly make the most noise.   :blink:

Themis
Cats will never be extinct!

#45 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 08:58 AM

Gah. There truly *is* an idiot born every minute. Now it appears they're all related.  :wacko:  And most of them still live on the old homestead. In Tennessee.  :eek2: :p
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#46 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 09:07 AM

...in a county sharing your name. :o

#47 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 09:26 AM

go EI, an it's unfortunate that these people exist, and get raised to office, but one should also ask some serious questions about the electorate that actually elected them, for they have to take at least part of the blame for this.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#48 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 12:00 PM

Rhea, on Mar 18 2004, 01:56 PM, said:

Gah. There truly *is* an idiot born every minute. Now it appears they're all related.  :wacko:  And most of them still live on the old homestead. In Tennessee.  :eek2: :p
damnit you just got the gatorade I was drinking to go up my nose.  Bad Rhea!!! :p
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#49 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 12:34 PM

All of this makes me wonder, um, just how did the people in this county intend to test incoming residents for their homosexuality anyway???

I keep envisioning a kind of Welcome Wagon In Reverse committee knocking on new resident's doors   :suspect:  :suspect:  :suspect:  They offer themselves as tempting bait and see if the new residents go for it??????????????? :look:

Edited by shambalayogi, 18 March 2004 - 12:37 PM.

Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#50 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 12:54 PM

^ I think you can use a routine gay-smear to test for the presence of homosexuality.... :D

Either that, or you just get out your gaydar gun and zap 'em as they pass by. :lol:

“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#51 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 01:06 PM

Delvo, on Mar 18 2004, 08:05 AM, said:

...in a county sharing your name. :o
I was wondering if anyone was going to point that out.  :cool:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#52 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 05:56 PM

the'Hawk, on Mar 18 2004, 10:52 AM, said:

^ I think you can use a routine gay-smear to test for the presence of homosexuality.... :D
okkkkkkkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay .......  :o

I won't be inquiring into the details of that clinical procedure!   :ermm:  :ermm:
Shamba,
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#53 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 06:02 PM

^  Only you just *Did* just by making that post.  :p  :devil: :p
Posted Image

#54 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 06:34 PM

I think we just found the county that keeps skewing our National IQ scores lower….  :p  

Shalamar: and Delvo doesn't eat kittens, he rescues them. Jon and CJ are the culprits there.

Kittens the other milk raised veal! ;)  Disclaimer: Does not in real life eat veal or agree with the practices to raise it. :angel:
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#55 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 06:36 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Mar 18 2004, 04:00 PM, said:

^  Only you just *Did* just by making that post.  :p  :devil: :p
I was hoping no one would post that observation!

LOL!
Shamba,
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#56 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 06:36 AM

Now they've withdrawn it, and say that the reaction it's gotten has been a big misunderstanding of what was really just a resolution of support for the state's non-marrying of homosexual couples, not a law banning them from the county or charging them with crimes.

Edited by Delvo, 20 March 2004 - 07:21 AM.

#57 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 06:49 AM

Dayton, Tennessee.  Where the men are men, the women pass for men, homosexuals are banned and the sheep are terrified.

#58 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 06:57 AM

Delvo, yeah, rrrriiiiiiiiight! and ROTFLMAO D'!
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#59 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 01:13 PM

Delvo, on Mar 20 2004, 05:34 AM, said:

Now they've withdrawn it, and say that the reaction it's gotten has been a big misunderstanding of what was really just a resolution of support for the state's non-marrying of homosexual couples, not a law banning them from the county or charging them with crimes.
Somehow I doubt that rural Tennessee was in any danger of being flooded with married homosexuals.

They just didn't expect the firestorm of controversy-not to mention perpetual joke fodder.  :p

Ro

Edited by Ro-Astarte, 20 March 2004 - 01:21 PM.

#60 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 12:50 AM

This county wants to charge gay people with Crimes Against Nature?

Dear me.....where were they littering? :rolleyes:

Or are we talking about serious stuff like pollution, destruction of coral reefs, and running over the backs of manatees with speedboats??

Hi folks.... :angel:  :angel:

Oh, and LOL at D's terrified sheep and Delvo's observations about computer monitors....perhaps all our screens should have Mackintoshes...;)

Peridot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LGBT, Tennessee, criminalize being gay, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users