• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 09:42 AM

Nifty little editorial in the New York Times (registration required) that lists some of Kerry's more interesting positions. If you're not used to parsing the language of deconstruction and academese, you may need to read Kerry's positions twice.

Excerpt:

The 1990's were a confusing decade. The certainties of the cold war were gone and new threats appeared. It fell to one man, John Kerry, the Human Nebula, to bring fog out of the darkness, opacity out of the confusion, bewilderment out of the void.

Kerry established himself early as the senator most likely to pierce through the superficial clarity and embrace the miasma. The gulf war had just ended. It was time to look back for lessons learned. "There are those trying to say somehow that Democrats should be admitting they were wrong" in opposing the gulf war resolution, Kerry noted in one Senate floor speech. But he added, "There is not a right or wrong here. There was a correctness in the president's judgment about timing. But that does not mean there was an incorrectness in the judgment other people made about timing."

For you see, Kerry continued, "Again and again and again in the debate, it was made clear that the vote of the U.S. Senate and the House on the authorization of immediate use of force on Jan. 12 was not a vote as to whether or not force should be used."

In laying out the Kerry Doctrine — that in voting on a use-of-force resolution that is not a use-of-force resolution, the opposite of the correct answer is also the correct answer — Kerry was venturing off into the realm of Post-Cartesian Multivariate Co-Directionality that would mark so many of his major foreign policy statements.

:wacko:

The next crisis occurred in Somalia. Again, the U.S. Senate faced what appeared to lesser minds as a clear choice: to withdraw in the wake of U.S. casualties or not to withdraw. The oxymoronically gifted junior senator from Massachusetts perceived an equivocation between the modalities: "The choice for the United States of America is not between two alternatives only: staying in or getting out. There are many other choices in-between which better reflect the aspirations and hopes of our country."

:blink:  

And in the Balkans crisis:

"It is important to remember that this resolution does not authorize the use of American ground troops in Bosnia, nor does it specifically authorize the use of air or naval power. It simply associates the U.S. Senate with the current policies of this administration and of the Security Council." The vote, Kerry concluded, was over whether to associate with a process that would determine certain necessary conditions involving uncertain modalities, which must be explored, in order to reach certain desirable ends.

:blink:  :wacko:

Kerry has made clear that if he is elected president, the nation will never face a caveat shortage. He has established the foragainst method, which has enabled him to be foragainst the war in Iraq, foragainst the Patriot Act and foragainst No Child Left Behind.

"Foragainst." I gotta remember that.  :cool:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#2 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 09:46 AM

okay, let me try

the vote of the U.S. Senate and the House on the authorization of immediate use of force on Jan. 12 was not a vote as to whether or not force should be used."

deconstructing this, he his saying that the vote was on whether or not force could be used, rather than a command that force [b\]had[/b] to be used

as for the rest I can't even begin to think what he's thinking

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#3 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 10:54 AM

He Thinks?  Hey Folks!!! John Kerry Thinks!!!!!! Get a news crew on this. "President elecet...Democratic challenger John Forbes Kerry has the capacity to think"

This is one of the reasons I am strongly against Kerry.

Kerry reminds me of the govenor in "THe Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" he does a little sidestep except he's not that smooth so maybe Kerry's Theme song  should be Paula Abbduls "Two Steps Forward"

Edited by G1223, 18 March 2004 - 10:57 AM.

#4 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 10:55 AM

^ You're strongly against Kerry because he thinks?

I'm confused. Did you have a point?

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#5 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 11:02 AM

Yeah Hawk I do. The Boston IHOP special (That's a waffle with a side of brains)changes his mind more often than Clinton thibnks of sex.

#6 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 11:07 AM

^ Okay, can you do me a favour and drop the coded speak? I don't have a clue what you're trying to tell me with that.

Thanks in advance. Have a super day.

“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  

#7 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 11:10 AM

That Kerry cannot make up his mind about anything . So  try listening to the topic  that might just help. But we can spoon feed you info if you need to

#8 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 11:12 AM

^ There is no spoon.

Talk to me like that again and see what happens.

#9 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 11:16 AM

Edited to make sure the Mods Tell Hawk to stop making threats

Edited by G1223, 18 March 2004 - 11:18 AM.

#10 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 11:27 AM

^ What, you picked a fight you can't finish? I'm not surprised.

#11 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 11:33 AM

The two of you should REALLY go back and read the posts you have made.  You sound like children.
Proud ally and supporter of Euro-snobs and international flakes.

Signs your coworker may be able to manipulate time:  "Is this the first time you've called here before?"

Signs your coworker needs to work on their vocabularly:  A:  "It opens up in Notepad and it's just jibberish."  B:  "So you can't understand it?"

#12 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 11:38 AM

So try listening to the topic that might just help. But we can spoon feed you info if you need to

Talk to me like that again and see what happens.

Edited to make sure the Mods Tell Hawk to stop making threats

*snort* :rolleyes: Speak insultingly, be told not to talk that way to him, and it's a threat. What if I "threaten" to :barf: when I read what's become of this thread; would that be taken as a "threat"? ;)
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#13 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 11:46 AM

I'm going to threaten you both for derailing my lovely John Forbes Kerry thread. People are anxious to read comments about Kerry the deconstructing blowhard!

Now why can't you go derail a gay marriage thread. There are plenty down there.  :cool:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#14 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 11:49 AM

silverwind, on Mar 18 2004, 11:31 AM, said:

You sound like children.
We do, don't we?

#15 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 12:11 PM

This may not be my forum, but let's notch it down a few there gang. Thanks in advance. :)

LoP

#16 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 12:29 AM

Kerry has been called on this time and time again.  The Media does it's best to ignore these foragainst moments. I mean today I heard he has a plan for Iraq. Now what is it? I have no clue as he will not tell anyone about it. So he does his lil sidestep and these foragainst moments will be just as quickly forgotten.

#17 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 04:09 AM

Hi, guys. Let's keep things civil, please. Remember that there's a real person on the other side of the screen, and talk to them like you'd talk to someone in real life. There's nothing to lose here, after all - except the good will of others. (BTW, thanks for stepping in, LoP. :))

G1223:
Kerry has been called on this time and time again. The Media does it's best to ignore these foragainst moments. I mean today I heard he has a plan for Iraq. Now what is it? I have no clue as he will not tell anyone about it. So he does his lil sidestep and these foragainst moments will be just as quickly forgotten.

Don't all politicians do that, though? I mean, until they actually get into power all they can do is talk, because they don't know whats it's really like. Imo, it isn't the words that matter, it's the actions they take. For example, a more substantial criticism of Kerry might be based on his voting record.
Per aspera ad astra

#18 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 05:01 AM

This election is about who do you dislike the least. I am sick and tired of all such elections. I don’t like either man. The only thing I have to go on is Kerry was in combat, with the Riverine force. These where small boat crews that among other duties, search the small shipping on the rivers, and took the SEALS in and out of combat in the delta, and shore areas of Vietnam.  The Riverine force had a relatively high casualty rate. Because Kerry was in combat he would have a more realistic understanding of life and death then someone that was not.

Yes the then Mr. Bush served his country, even if he only sat on his laurels and waited.

But I am not talking about serving one’s country; I am talking about a formative life experience.

Pass that I don’t know a politician that doesn’t steal the child’s candy, while they’re kissing them.

Did you know one month after every one loses their jobs we will have a zero unemployment rate. That’s how the statistic works; its sole purpose is to hide the real number of the unemployed. Neither Mr. Kerry, or President Bush has a plan to get jobs for the now unemployed. Off shoring of manufacturing, technology development and service jobs, really is as big a problem as reported. It’s so bad that even the democrats are down playing it.

Question:
How do you know when a [politician] is lying?

Answer:
Their lips are moving.

Parsing spinning dancing omitting, and Congressional vote trading, just once I’d like to hear the sound of truth.

One last point, anyone that thinks that federal court judges, as a group can’t keep a secret, deserves to lose their civil rights, and they sure as hell haven’t read the Presidential oath of office.

Sparky::

Edited by emsparks, 19 March 2004 - 05:20 AM.

Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#19 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 09:34 AM

emsparks, on Mar 19 2004, 03:59 AM, said:

Neither Mr. Kerry, or President Bush has a plan to get jobs for the now unemployed.
First of all, a president is in no position to create jobs. It's a factor of the economy, and the economy isn't a scooter that can make quick turnarounds. The economy is an ocean liner, and turning it around takes a lot more time.

But here's something a president can do: lower taxes so that businesses can actually afford to hire new employees.

#20 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 09:35 AM

emsparks, on Mar 19 2004, 03:59 AM, said:

Because Kerry was in combat he would have a more realistic understanding of life and death then someone that was not.
Especially if we can believe he saw what he claimed to see.

Of course, if he really saw what he claimed to see, one must ask him why he didn't do anything about it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2004, John Kerry, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users