Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

US Presidential Election

Election 2004 poll

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: If you could vote, who would it be for? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

If you could vote, who would it be for?

1. President George Bush (6 votes [31.58%])

Percentage of vote: 31.58%

2. Senator John Kerry (8 votes [42.11%])

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

3. Ralph Nader (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Don't know/don't care (5 votes [26.32%])

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:19 PM

John Forbes Kerry - born into one of the most influencial families around....recognize the names Forbes any one?

His mother, Rosemary Forbes Kerry, was a Forbes family heiress born in Paris, France. Rosemary grew up mostly in France, where the Forbes family still has a home on a bluff in Brittany.

snip

James Forbes's wife, Kerry's maternal grandmother, was Margaret Tyndal Winthrop, with deep ancestral roots in Massachusetts history. Margaret's grandfather was Robert Charles Winthrop, the conservative Whig Speaker of the House and Senator, and her ancestors included James Bowdoin, former Governor of Maine and John Winthrop, the first Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. This branch of Kerry's family tree also shows a common ancestry with Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Jane Addams, Calvin Coolidge, George H.W. Bush, and George W. Bush.

snip

In April 1965 his friend John Shattuck (who would later become CEO of the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation) inducted him to Yale's Skull and Bones secret society, three years before George W. Bush

Wikepedia entry

He's yatched with John F Kennedy, dated a Kennedy family member, gone to private boarding schools, lived a fair portion of his life in Europe.

Please don't make him out to be some sort of poor man who's 'risen to where he is via the sweat of his brow', just isn't true.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#22 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:23 PM

Shalamar, on Mar 19 2004, 03:17 PM, said:

Please don't make him out to be some sort of poor man who's 'risen to where he is via the sweat of his brow', just isn't true.
As I said in the other thread the man is a Northeast Liberal Elitist...  As for his service in Vietnam...  In case anyone forgets history around here JFK served in World War II.  Anyone forget PT-109?  Did that somehow make JFK into a poor common folk and not a Kennedy?
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#23 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:27 PM

That's isn't what I was saying, Shalamar. I never denied that Kerry is rich, or said that was a bad thing. And I'm not trying to make Kerry sound like a great man.

My point is that Kerry has spent his life in public service, long past the point where family connections made any difference. Bush has spent his life going from one easy ride to another, mostly because of his connections.

#24 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:29 PM

Kevin Street, on Mar 19 2004, 03:25 PM, said:

My point is that Kerry has spent his life in public service, long past the point where family connections made any difference.
:rolleyes: Oh please…  And you honestly believe Kerry’s wealth isn’t allowing him to run this time around?
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#25 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:31 PM

CJ AEGIS, on Mar 19 2004, 03:14 PM, said:

You forgot Ike!
Well, I had to leave something for you to do, didn't I? ;)

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#26 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:33 PM

The only thing about Kerry I agree with his went to Vietnam . He did not duck out and got into one of the most Elite Military units. I think highly of him as a man who earned a CMH and for that I salute him.

When a few years ago when he spoke about the actions he did in Vietnam I felt it was his right to do so. ( A man I disagree with but says he regrets some of his actions in War area to me something that that man will need to deal with)

I disagree with Kerry on his polices ( Which seem to change daily if not by the even hours of the day.) I  disagree with him calling Bush out about Bush's air national guard service. If Bush had been in the Air Force and trained on the airplane he was trained in then he still would not have been sent. (BTW the aircraft was used for intercepting bombers at long range and at High Speed. It is not suited to groud interdiction missions as it cannot carry more than three missles)

I Disagree with Kerry becasue all I have heard about his way of dealing with Iraq was"I'd have done it differently"  He does not say anything else  Not "I'd have gotten France and Germany into our coalition before going" ( Why Becasue it would cost him votes) "Or I would have waited three more months to give time for more diplomatic Pressure to see if Saddam would allow the inspections to go on" ( It would be seen as allowing Saddam to hold power three months longer)

These are positions I could at least say I disagree with him becasue.... But instead I get "Differently"  so what can we say he supports or does not support.

#27 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:33 PM

CJ AEGIS, on Mar 19 2004, 01:14 PM, said:

the'Hawk, on Mar 19 2004, 03:00 PM, said:

^ Abraham Lincoln comes to mind. So does Harry Truman. (Okay, so he was re-elected.)

:cool:
Nukes Hawk! ;) You forgot Ike!  Repeat after me "I like Ike"!  Ike was not born into wealth and instead worked his way through the Army and then was President of Columbia University following the War before leading NATO as the Supreme Allied Commander.

Drew: Republicans hate the environment

That is always one of my favorites...  Governor Pataki ® in New York has added more land to the State Parks and done more for the environment than the previous Democrat ever did.  

Beldame: But the fact remains that the US is the biggest source of pollution in the world, 4% of the worlds population producing 25% of greenhouse gas emissions.

Oh yes and Kyoto will really stop pollution. :blink: Considering all those business in the US with environmental restrictions already in place would have just left for the 3rd World under Kyoto.  So instead you?d have them in China with no Kyoto Accord restricting them and far less concern or laws to protect the environment than in the US.  Yet somehow Kyoto is some brilliant bolt from the sky. :rolleyes:
The thing that makes it easy to paint Bush as "bad for the environment" is that the "environmentalist" point of view has become so terribly extreme, and any deviation away from that viewpoint is "bad for the environment".

Here's an example: Until just before Clinton left office, the amount of Cyanide allowed in runoff from old mineshafts was 50 parts per million. Clinton signs an executive order just before leaving office to reduce the amount to 5 parts per million. Before the new standards have a chance to take effect, Bush tells the EPA to suspend the new restrictions pending an actual review to see if the same end could be accomplished by only reducing to 10 parts per million.

The way it gets spun by the environmental movement is that Bush is increasing the amount of Cyanide allowed in the water!

#28 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:47 PM

CJ AEGIS, on Mar 19 2004, 02:14 PM, said:

Drew: Republicans hate the environment
Ummm. Wrong attribution.  :unsure:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#29 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:50 PM

Kevin Street, on Mar 19 2004, 01:39 PM, said:

Yes, they're both wealthy. But Kerry actually went to war, and then spent years as a Senator in the trenches, making laws and participating in the process of government. His accomplishments are mixed, but at least he's tried to make a difference, right from the start. In a way, Kerry has been training for the Presidency his whole life.
In fact, the way he's acting you'd get the impression that he thinks he deserves it.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#30 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:59 PM

CJ AEGIS, on Mar 19 2004, 02:14 PM, said:

Nukes Hawk! ;) You forgot Ike!  Repeat after me "I like Ike"!  Ike was not born into wealth and instead worked his way through the Army and then was President of Columbia University following the War before leading NATO as the Supreme Allied Commander.
The house where Eisenhower was born and raised is still standing in Abilene, KS.  I've been there...2 times?  3?  Going through that, you really get a feel for where he came from.

Another non-wealthy, working-class president is what the US could really use now, IMO.  Not the current choices. :Oo:
Proud ally and supporter of Euro-snobs and international flakes.

Signs your coworker may be able to manipulate time:  "Is this the first time you've called here before?"

Signs your coworker needs to work on their vocabularly:  A:  "It opens up in Notepad and it's just jibberish."  B:  "So you can't understand it?"

#31 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 04:28 PM

CJ AEGIS, on Mar 19 2004, 01:27 PM, said:

Kevin Street, on Mar 19 2004, 03:25 PM, said:

My point is that Kerry has spent his life in public service, long past the point where family connections made any difference.
:rolleyes: Oh please?  And you honestly believe Kerry?s wealth isn?t allowing him to run this time around?
Yes, that's true. But what does wealth have to do with it? I never tried to claim that he was poor.

#32 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 04:38 PM

Drew, on Mar 19 2004, 09:13 PM, said:

Honestly, the major threat to the Western world is terrorism. When we've got that solved, then we can worry about relatively minor things like the environment. I don't see how anyone can put any other issue before the global war on terrorism.

That's a very dangerous path to walk. Global terrorism is going to be with us for a while and if we always put everything else aside until we're done with it, we'll have bigger problems than terror.

I voted Kerry, not because I like him but because I dislike Bush. I belong to the pretty extremist political left, but the political beast in me won't vote for a doomed candidate even in faked imaginary poll ;)
Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.

#33 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 04:53 PM

Enmar, on Mar 19 2004, 03:36 PM, said:

I voted Kerry, not because I like him but because I dislike Bush. I belong to the pretty extremist political left, but the political beast in me won't vote for a doomed candidate even in faked imaginary poll ;)
I think you just did. :cool:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2004, poll

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users