11 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 01:17 PM

http://story.news.ya...e/candy_alert_1

A Mexico candy bar contains toxic levels of lead and people should avoid eating it, state officials warned.

Chaca Chaca is made from apple pulp and chili powder and comes wrapped in red and white cellophane. The name comes from the sound a train makes on the tracks, and a train is depicted on the wrapper.

The state Department of Health Services alerted consumers Thursday. Lead could harm the nervous system and kidneys, said state epidemiologist Dr. Gilberto Chavez. Lead poisoning can also cause learning disabilities and behavioral disorders.

Chaca Chaca was tested by the state food and drug branch in June and August 2002. Those tests found the candy bar contained three to four times the lead level allowed by FDA (news - web sites) guidelines.

The health warning is the first California has issued on a candy since 2001, when consumers were cautioned about a lollipop made of fig-like tamarind discovered in the Costa Mesa home of a child with lead poisoning.

Why would anybody want an apple pulp and chilli pepper candy bar, haven't they heard of a Reese's Cup? :crazy:  :eek:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 01:40 PM

Homer's Powersauce bars were real!

Knowing that chili powder is effective in small doses, I'd worry about something that's primarily or secondarily made out of it instead of just spiced with it... it seems like that would cause some "medical side effects" with a quicker onset than lead poisoning usually has. :eek:

#3 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 01:42 PM

^ I always wondered what old Chinese newspapers tasted like....

"Hey, Deng Xiaoping died!"

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#4 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 01:46 PM

Hawk, you just made me want to use an animated smiley with something flying right over the little dude's head.

#5 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 01:49 PM

the'Hawk, on Mar 20 2004, 01:40 PM, said:

^ I always wondered what old Chinese newspapers tasted like....

"Hey, Deng Xiaoping died!"

LOL!! Yeah but it tastes better with some Dasani to wash it down. :lol:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#6 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 01:54 PM

Delvo, on Mar 20 2004, 01:44 PM, said:

Hawk, you just made me want to use an animated smiley with something flying right over the little dude's head.
We have one of those? Neat.

Powersauce bars. They're not really "harnessing the power of apples". They're made mostly of old Chinese newspapers. I can't help it if I remember obscure references and throwaway lines from Simpsons episodes on demand.... ;)

“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#7 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 02:15 PM

I'm constitutionally against paying for bottled water, unless there's a real emergency.  If I'm going to have to drink recycled tap water, I might well drink it from the tap and save myself the money.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#8 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 02:54 PM

DWF, on Mar 20 2004, 12:15 PM, said:

Why would anybody want an apple pulp and chilli pepper candy bar?
That actually sounds pretty good! I'll take a whole case. Unleaded, please.  :cool:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#9 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 03:03 PM

Delvo, that would be screaming neon pink flamingos at 40,000 feet.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#10 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 06:29 PM

Hummm....I ate those for about two weeks over Christmas.

WEE!!!  I guess I've got my lead content for a couple of lifetimes now. ;)

-Dan

:ninja:
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#11 iMel

iMel

New and improved!

• Islander
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 01:48 PM

I've actually heard of this candy bar before, on a site that did reviews of horrible candy. I still can't see how anyone would want to eat something that combines apple pulp and chili powder. :barf:
I use these words pretty loosely. There's so much more to life than words.
--Over the Rhine, "Latter Days"

Formerly known as Neozephryus :)

#12 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 08:47 PM

well....it's pretty tasty, actually.  Kinda sweet and spicy.  Stupid lead content...no wonder I didn't do well on my last calc test.  Are tamarins off-limits now too????  NO!!!!!  I LOVE those things
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Public Health, Candy bars, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users