19 replies to this topic

#1 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 02:23 PM

http://uk.news.yahoo...9/80/ep0u9.html

I can't believe anyone even came UP with such a whacked idea.  No WONDER I have no more faith in human nature.  :wacko:
Posted Image

#2 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 02:26 PM

Yeah I saw the photos and was appaled at the tastelessness of the idea. They may be arty but it certainly sends a degradeing message that is in no way subliminal.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#3 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 02:28 PM

It's mind boggling actually.
Posted Image

#4 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 02:30 PM

It's bad enough having to condescend to using a urinal in an airport. But this? Dude, I'd rather whiz down the drain.

Not only that, but could this be any more of a committee idea? "Let's make our customers happy by.... spicing up the urinals!" Everyone agrees, no one takes ownership, someone makes a stupid decision, the PR nightmare ensues. Go team.

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#5 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 02:32 PM

the'Hawk, on Mar 21 2004, 11:28 AM, said:

Not only that, but could this be any more of a committee idea? "Let's make our customers happy by.... spicing up the urinals!" Everyone agrees, no one takes ownership, someone makes a stupid decision, the PR nightmare ensues. Go team.

Maybe they got lessons from Tribune on management by committee...  :angel:
Posted Image

#6 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 02:35 PM

I have a difficult enough time peeing with other people in the room.  If I saw one of those things staring back at me in the restroom, I'd probably never be able to go again...
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#7 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 02:35 PM

^ Nah, if they did, they wouldn't have installed bathrooms at all. Tribune isn't known for their attention to details, or continuity.

Knowing Tribune, it'd have water fountains, Coke vending machines, a fully licensed bar, and no place to take a leak.

“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#8 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 02:40 PM

Those urinals would probably work, in Mick Jagger's house. :lol:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#9 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 02:49 PM

Hey now this could be attempting to cater to the BDSM crowd. you never know what is chic amonst them..

#10 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 02:50 PM

DWF, on Mar 21 2004, 02:38 PM, said:

^That would just be *begging* for guests to confuse their host with a bathroom fixture. :devil:

-Nick

#11 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 02:56 PM

Nick, on Mar 21 2004, 02:48 PM, said:

DWF, on Mar 21 2004, 02:38 PM, said:

^That would just be *begging* for guests to confuse their host with a bathroom fixture. :devil:

-Nick
Back in the 70s, I'm sure there were times he felt like a bathroom fixture. :lol:  :lol:

Don't forget the bathroom on the Lexx. :eek3:

"The dead do not poo."

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#12 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 02:57 PM

Why am I not surprised that Virgin Atlantic didn't get it.

BWAHAHAHAHA

-Dan

:ninja:
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#13 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 04:17 PM

i'm actually kind of dissapointed in Richard Branson.

He has better business sense than this

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#14 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 05:33 PM

Lip... shaped... urinals. Uh-huh. Going for a sense of oral sex? Trying to make pissing entertaining? :crazy:
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#15 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 06:21 PM

You should check out the company's web site:

http://www.bathroom-mania.com/

There's the "flower pot", "Splish Splash!" - the hammock-bath and "Summertime!" - the beach-cabin shower.

:rolleyes:

#16 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 08:56 PM

This is just a case of people not thinking things through completely.  They wanted to make their restrooms decorative, and they went for a certain style.  They just didn't make certain logical connections.  While that is probably a bad thing, they probably had their minds a little too blissfully out of the gutter when they thought of it.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#17 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 08:10 AM

Ewww.... that's DISGUSTING. :barf:

And the fact that they were designed by a woman is no defense. :p
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#18 schoolpsycho

schoolpsycho
  • Islander
  • 893 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 09:49 AM

I won't say it, it's too easy.

I uh, happened to see these things on Headline News...

And pardon me, but...

*lololololol*

Just when you think you've seen everything.

sp
Love is hard...and all there is.

#19 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 03:32 PM

OMG!!!!!  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#20 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 12:07 PM

:lol:  :lol:

I saw these pics online the past few days and thought they were kind of obscene actually, outrageous but somewhat obscene!
Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New York, NYC, JFK Airport, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users