5 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 07:00 PM

http://story.news.ya...hirt_tussle&e=1

Gov. Bob Wise sent a letter to Abercrombie & Fitch on Monday demanding that the clothing retailer stop selling a T-shirt that spoofs the state with the slogan, "It's All Relative in West Virginia."

Wise said the T-shirt depicts "an unfounded, negative stereotype of West Virginia."

"I write to you today to demand that you immediately remove this item from your stores and your print and online catalogues," Wise wrote. "In addition, these shirts must be destroyed at once to avoid any possibility of resale and proof be given thereof."

Abercrombie & Fitch spokesman Tom Lennox declined to say whether the New Albany, Ohio-based company would comply with the governor's request. He said the T-shirt, which features the slogan on an outline of the state, has been selling well at $22.50.

"We love West Virginia. We love California, Florida, Connecticut, Hawaii and Nebraska too. Abercrombie & Fitch was born and raised in the USA, and we honor all 50 states in the union," Lennox said.

I wonder if he should've asked for a share of the profits instead. ;)
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 08:55 PM

As a West Virginian, I share Gov. Wise's annoyance.  (I didn't ever mind when Brent Spiner said he was from WV on Night Court though.  :devil: )

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#3 Cyncie

Cyncie

Cool Daddio!

• Islander
  • 689 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 09:50 PM

Yeah, it seems like poor dumb hillbilly stereotypes are still considered humorous when all others are considered unacceptably offensive. The problem comes in when people forget that its a spoof, and believe the stereotype, something that still occurs a bit too frequently, in my experience.

Abercrombie and Fitch seem to have totally lost any sense of what's acceptable, anyway, so I'm not surprised.

~Cyn
(Kentucky raised by West Virginia parents, who were not in any way related)

Edited by Cyncie, 22 March 2004 - 09:51 PM.

Goodnight, Sweetheart
Well, it's time to go...

#4 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 09:54 PM

Cardie, on Mar 22 2004, 08:53 PM, said:

As a West Virginian, I share Gov. Wise's annoyance.  (I didn't ever mind when Brent Spiner said he was from WV on Night Court though.  :devil: )

Cardie
Actaully, the Wheelers were from Yugoslavia, yet somehow he knew Spainish. :wacko:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#5 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 11:04 PM

DWF, on Mar 22 2004, 09:52 PM, said:

Actaully, the Wheelers were from Yugoslavia, yet somehow he knew Spainish. :wacko:
No.  The first time they appeared on the show, they identified themselves as being from West Virginia. There was a huge uproar about it from WV officials (I lived there and I remember it well), so they later wrote in that they had just made that up and were really from Yugoslavia.  Then they kept collecting fragments of all sorts of nationalities, but they were still primarily a hillbilly stereotype.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#6 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 11:06 PM

As a fellow native of WV I would like to second that annoyance. I will decry the poverty, closemindedness and stagnation of the region I came from but the hillbilly stereotype with its rampant incest, drunkness and whatnot had little if anything to do with the actual conditions of the place.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: West Virginia, Gov. Bob Wise, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users