• 26,839 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 02:47 AM

oy, and with German kids no less

you can just see this can't you

mom: So son, what did you do while at camp
Son: We learnt that Jews should be chased by all good Nazi's
mom:  :eek:

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#2 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 02:53 AM

Godeskian, on Jan. 24 2003,01:51, said:

I know, but this one was pretty intense in that you were a german outfit and could call on special units such as SS troops to come gass pockets of reseistance and such.

but personally, i don't think they should invite those guys back for next years camp
Ahhh. yeah, I could see where that would be uncomfortable and weird. I thought it was more like Risk or something...

I bet a lot of those kids don't go to that scout camp ext year...

#3 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 03:14 AM

Didn't find anything about it on the dutch newsservices

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#4 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 03:33 AM

Shoshana, on Jan. 24 2003,08:19, said:

Godeskian - thank you for checking!

They quote a women that spoke to the Ekstra Bladet newspaper  (Danish paper) so they would have the original story - but I don't read Danish!
Well, i'm sure someone on this board speaks danish. I just know it isn't me.

Defy Gravity!

#5 Lauriena

Lauriena

its sorta like that...

• Islander
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 09:08 PM

hear about this on the radio at work... they made it out to sound like a school studying the holocaust but I guess the article said it was a camp

it's one thing to try and teach kids about history by bring history to life but nazi chasing jews isn't bring history to life its a really dumb idea

we collected pop tabs to see what a million is when we studied the holocaust and read anne frank… now I am in a class where all we do is study the holocaust… really interesting class, but I promise we won’t be playing jews vs nazis

Harperchondriac fashions for the angst lover in all of us
Posted Image
you're the one who ran over the bonsai with the lawn mower-the imporance of the proper dividing of household chores

#6 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 02:34 AM

Parents shocked after scout camp features Nazis chasing Jews

I'm pretty much speechless that the camp directors would have even had the *thought* to do this ... never mind carry it out...

One of the scariest parts..

Jes Imer of the local FDF chapter told the tabloid B.T. that they "may have crossed the line this time with a night game where Nazis chase Jews."

The school yard included a sign with the German words "Arbeit macht frei," or "Work will set you free," the infamous inscription over the entrance to the Auschwitz concentration camp in Poland.

"I don't know whether I should apologize," Imer told B.T., adding "I didn't want the game to hurt anyone."  

'shana

#7 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 02:44 AM

Yeah ... it's so crazy. They did this in Denmark. They had .. ok ... I need to quote again to get it right...

The group of about 160 scouts, aged 11-14, included a dozen teenagers from the Danish-speaking minority in northern Germany. The school yard was turned into a concentration camp with swastikas on the windows.

And they did this for the kids to have fun?!? I'd think they'd have nightmares!

#8 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 02:47 AM

Godeskian, on Jan. 24 2003,01:37, said:

Although i have to say, there is a wargame called 1942 on the russian front, where you take on the role of a german outfit trying to take over a town from the russians,
I dunno - there are a lot of board games and computer games that re enact battles. I don't have a problem with those - not at all.

I just think that these "counselers" who dressed up as Nazis and chased all the children, dressed as "Jews" ... I'm speechless. Truly. They didn't see a problem with this??

#9 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 02:51 AM

Godeskian, on Jan. 24 2003,01:47, said:

oy, and with German kids no less

you can just see this can't you

mom: So son, what did you do while at camp
Son: We learnt that Jews should be chased by all good Nazi's
mom:  :eek:
I'm actually very very surprised that the article never mentioned whether any children objected or refused to join in.

I'm sure more than one house had parents burning up the phone lines..

I need to check the BBC site and see if they picked up this ... story...

#10 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Un effing believable.... :angry:
Posted Image

#11 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

I am totaly bereft of speech over this.  These people have lost their senses.  I can not believe that such people have gotten into such positions where they can influence young minds....

I didn't want the game to hurt anyone

Did this man take even one second to think what such a game might do?

Gode, there are plenty of wargames out there roughly similar, to the one you mention, but those wargames are far different than  adults pretenting to be Nazis and chaseing children being mock jews around..

The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#12 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 03:04 AM

Shoshana, on Jan. 24 2003,08:01, said:

Well, no mention of this at BBC or CNN websites. I guess I'll keep snorting around looking for more info..

Decidedly a finalist in the "What were they thinking" catagory...
You know I'd actually email a paper or two (like the SF Chronicle or the New York Times) because I think they'd  cover this kind of thing.

{{{{{{{{{{{{'Shana}}}}}}}}}}

Posted Image

#13 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 03:15 AM

{{{Lil}}

Good idea!

thanks..

#14 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 04:36 PM

They weren't thinking at all, that is the problem

Defy Gravity!

#15 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 03:22 AM

Shoshana, on Jan. 24 2003,08:15, said:

{{{Lil}}

Good idea!

thanks..
You're more than welcome:)
Posted Image

#16 Aurelius

Aurelius

Master of the Empire

• Islander
  • 803 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 04:24 AM

Ye Gods....talk about moronic.

"I didn't want the game to hurt anyone"

That has to qualify as the most stupid statement of the millennium. How in the name of God could making a game of out horrible real events not hurt anyone.

Brains appear to be in very short supply in that camp.

Hail All
Aurelius

"If I had all the answers, I'd run for God"
Cpl. Max Klinger, M*A*S*H

#17 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,823 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 11:00 PM

FlatlandDan frowns

Cross the line huh?  In what part of the world does that NOT cross the line?

:angry:

-Dan

My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#18 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 02:37 AM

that's unbelievable, may have crossed the lines?!?!?!

what next, christians chasing Moslems? White guys chasing black ones?

what kind of games did these people play as kids

Although i have to say, there is a wargame called 1942 on the russian front, where you take on the role of a german outfit trying to take over a town from the russians,

Defy Gravity!

#19 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 02:51 AM

I know, but this one was pretty intense in that you were a german outfit and could call on special units such as SS troops to come gass pockets of reseistance and such.

but personally, i don't think they should invite those guys back for next years camp

Defy Gravity!

#20 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 03:01 AM

Well, no mention of this at BBC or CNN websites. I guess I'll keep snorting around looking for more info..

Decidedly a finalist in the "What were they thinking" catagory...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Germany, Scout Camp, Nazi/Jewish RPG

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users