#1 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,191 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 11:53 PM

By Andrew Kramer
The Associated Press

PORTLAND - Preliminary investigations show that a 28-year-old black man shot by Portland police after a routine traffic stop was unarmed, Portland police Chief Derrick Foxworth said Monday.

It was the second time in a year that Portland police have shot and killed an unarmed black person after a traffic stop. A May 5 incident ended with the death of 21-year-old Kendra James.

Her death touched off an intense round of criticism of the city's police force, and was broadly seen as a factor in the resignation of former police chief Mark Kroeker.

In Sunday night's encounter, officers Jason Sery and Seacn Macomber pulled over James Perez shortly after 5 p.m. for failing to use his turn signal 100 feet before making a turn.

Perez told the officers he did not have a driver's license, Foxworth said, and resisted subsequent arrest.

"Officer Macomber came into physical contact with Mr. Perez in an effort to take him into custody," Foxworth said. "During the struggle, the other officer, Officer Sery, fired multiple shots at Perez, striking him in the mid-body area."

From the time of the traffic stop until the shooting, only a "very short time" elapsed, Foxworth said. He did not say how long.

Perez lived near the parking lot where he died, and relatives, including his mother, made their way to the scene withing minutes, said Margaret Carter, an Oregon state senator who attended the police briefing Monday.

"He was right down the street from his home and his mother was there," she said. "She was just blown away feeling that he had not done anything to deserve this."

Both officers have been placed on paid administrative leave. Sery will be interviewed by homicide detectives Monday afternoon, Foxworth said.

Foxworth said that at some point during the encounter, officers also fired a stun gun.

Foxworth said a preliminary search of the car did not turn up any weapons. A more thorough search was planned, he said. The case remains under investigation.

James' family has filed a $10 million wrongful death suit over the shooting. Officer Scott McCollister, who fired the fatal shot (Last May?), was cleared of wrongdoing by a grand jury but suspended without pay for 5 1/2 months.
The Mail Tribune

In another article in the Oregonian, it stated that the shots were fired as Macomber was pulling Perez out of the car.

This raises the question, of just how far do things go, before the cops pull the gun? What sort of retaliation does an unarmed man have to provide, for a cop to fire three slugs in his chest?

Another point raised, is whether someone under this type of investigation should be placed under paid leave or not?

This whole story just made my jaw drop, and I'm surprised nobody else has picked up on it.

Rommie :cylon:
Posted Image

#2 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 12:31 AM

Hmm..
Doesn't sound good at all - the man resisted arrest but aren't police officers supposed to be trained to handle someone *without* shooting them?
The second greatest podcast in the history of ever:
http://geeksonaplain.blogspot.com/

#3 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,191 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 12:37 AM

ZipperInt, on Mar 30 2004, 09:29 PM, said:

Hmm..
Doesn't sound good at all - the man resisted arrest but aren't police officers supposed to be trained to handle someone *without* shooting them?
That's what I'd like to know. You'd figure that'd be the case, huh? I mean, two against one? The man may have been resisting, but it's no reason to drill him full of lead. And apparently a Stun-Gun was pulled as well? I mean, who was this guy? Mr. Atlas? Two guys couldn't pull one guy out of a car, without shooting him?

Bullfrell, as Jool would say.

Rommie :cylon:
Posted Image

#4 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 12:46 AM

Yeah.  Their reaction makes no sense unless the man in question was on that unfreakingbelievable drug that makes people really strong, etc... can't remember the name right now.  :blush:

As for the second time in a year.... erm, anger management anyone?  Or even stress management?
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#5 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 12:52 AM

PCP, commonly known as Angel Dust - a sedative for animals, quite something else for people.

and if thy were invovled in a struggle, what's the other cop doing fireing his gun where he could hit his partner...

I'd really like more information.  Right now this sounds completely indefensible
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Oregon, Portland, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users