• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 08:51 AM

Here's a quiz: First read the following comments from Democrats regarding the uprising in Iraq, then pick which one you'd like to be your Democratic Presidentical Candidate.

I'll reveal the identities later. :cool:

1) ____________ said yesterday that the Bush administration has "blundered" and that the United States should not be trying to increase troop strength. "We should instead be working toward an exit strategy," he said. "Surely, I am not the only one who hears echoes of Vietnam in this development. Surely, the administration recognizes that increasing the U.S. troop presence in Iraq will only suck us deeper into the maelstrom of violence that has become the hallmark of that unfortunate country."

2) ____________ on Monday called Iraq "George Bush's Vietnam" and said the situation has created a credibility gap between the president and Americans.

3) "America will not be intimidated by barbaric acts whose only goal is to spread fear and chaos throughout Iraq," _______________ said in a moving floor speech last Thursday after the initial attacks that began the weeklong string of violence. "Yesterday's events will only serve to strengthen America's resolve and seal America's unity. The brave people who lost their lives did not die in vain. Americans stand together today and always to finish the work we started and bring peace and democracy to the citizens of Iraq."

4) _____________ said on NBC's "Today" show that the United States must "stay the course. This is really as much a test of our perseverance as anything else," he said, though he cautioned that Americans must be prepared for the conflict. "It's going to be difficult. We're going to have too many days ahead of tragedy like yesterday, unfortunately."

5) "Our troops on the ground in Iraq now are too few in number to battle the insurgents and establish the civil order needed to ensure Iraq does not descend into civil war. We should apply the Powell doctrine of overwhelming military force in Iraq now to protect our troops and protect the Iraqi people from this new wave of violence," said ______________________

6) _________________ has stayed clear of specifying what course he thinks should be taken in Iraq. But he is sharply critical of the administration's policy, calling it "one of the greatest failures of diplomacy and failures of judgment that I have seen in all the time that I've been in public life." He also hinted at a parallel between Iraq and Vietnam. "Since . . . Vietnam, I have not seen an arrogance in our foreign policy like this." Earlier, in an interview on National Public Radio, _____________ called Sheik Mouqtada al-Sadr a "legitimate voice," before immediately correcting himself and calling the radical Shi'ite cleric just "a voice." "It's interesting to hear that when they shut a newspaper that belongs to a legitimate voice in Iraq and, well, let me change the term 'legitimate.' When they shut a newspaper that belongs to a voice, because he has clearly taken on a far more radical tone in recent days and aligned himself with both Hamas and Hezbollah, which is a sort of terrorist alignment," ____________________ said.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#2 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,360 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 09:07 AM

staying WAY out of this one.......

:whistle:

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#3 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 09:14 AM

Handmaiden07, on Apr 9 2004, 09:05 AM, said:

staying WAY out of this one.......
It is amusing to watch though. ;) :lol:
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#4 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 10:00 PM

Aww, no one's playing.

Anyway, I took those quotes from this article.

It's probably obvious which of the comments was from John Kerry; it would be that last one . . . the one that surges forward, backtracks, corrects, and eventually trails off into vague statements that leave one wondering exactly what he's saying. He almost sounds like he's supporting the insurgents. :wacko:

But here they are:

1) Robert Byrd
2) Ted Kennedy
3) Tom Daschle
4) Evan Bayh
5) Joe Lieberman
6) John Kerry

Byrd and Kennedy should be obvious. But why oh why oh why can't we have Tom Daschle or Evan Bayh up there instead of Kerry. I never liked Daschle much, but lately he's been sounding like he's actually on the side of the US, unlike a few others I could mention who can't stop croaking "QUAGMIRE" and seem determined to ensure that a quagmire is exactly what we get.

I wouldn't feel so bad if a Daschle or a Bayh or a Lieberman made it into the White House, but God help us all if John Kerry gets elected.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#5 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 10:12 PM

It's more fun that nobody's taking your bait.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#6 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 10:15 PM

It is amusing to watch though. ;) :lol:

This is rather amusing... ;)
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#7 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 10:18 PM

Bait? Nonsense; it was just too difficult.

#8 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 10:48 PM

I couldn't answer it, but then I'm more of a "long dure" than a "great man" historian I think.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#9 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 10:55 PM

can't stop croaking "QUAGMIRE"

I'm thinking of a raven croaking... which then makes me think of Poe's raven: "Quoth the raven... QUAGMIRE"? Nah, doesn't scan so well... ;)
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#10 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 02:32 AM

MuseZack, on Apr 9 2004, 08:10 PM, said:

:cool:  :ninja:
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#11 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 07:21 AM

I ain't baitin'. Yer all jest runnin' scared. ;)

#12 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 01:19 PM

No, Drew, I am not running scared, just tired of playing this game.  We are in deep $hit trouble in this country.  Staying divided by pitting one party against the other is a big part of the problem.  This thread just feels like another variation on that theme, even if you didn't mean it to be.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#13 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 01:47 PM

GiGi, on Apr 10 2004, 01:17 PM, said:

Staying divided by pitting one party against the other is a big part of the problem.
Instead we should all start singing to the agenda of the Democrats.  :rolleyes: ;)

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 10 April 2004 - 01:47 PM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""

#14 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 01:52 PM

^

Come on, CJ... you're not helping here.

#15 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 02:03 PM

Like it or not I think the issue is relevant.

Political difference in this country have always existed between the parties.  We are really no worse off than ever on the matter today.  We have not had any fistfights and beating on the floor of the Congress like the past.  And no Civil War lately.  Politics are going to be a messy business wherever and divisions are natural.  Any places that doesn’t have agendas and divisions in politics scares me a lot more for the lack of a natural state there than one with divisions.  People on both sides can say whatever about healing the right between the parties and etc.  Yet often many of those people are the same ones who will not compromise on their own political agenda.  Just my two cents on the issue.
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz

#16 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 02:17 PM

Perhaps... I'm just tired of the constant sniping. I don't do it and I try to respect the other's position instead of going at it like a bulldog. Why can't others?

BTW, it's REALLY strange to call you CJ. ;)

#17 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 04:34 PM

GiGi, on Apr 10 2004, 12:17 PM, said:

We are in deep $hit trouble in this country.  Staying divided by pitting one party against the other is a big part of the problem.  This thread just feels like another variation on that theme, even if you didn't mean it to be.
Your own first sentence there is a variation on that theme! Democrats use negativism about this country's present to pit people against Republicans (just like the religious social-conservatives use negativism about its future to pit people against social liberals).

#18 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 04:45 PM

MuseZack, on Apr 9 2004, 08:10 PM, said:

I didn't really see this until now.  I would have pegged the Kerry quote because it doesn't say anything.  The one that best expressed my sentiments was probably number 3 though that is from a purely emotional visceral level.  :)

Lil

Edited by Una Salus Lillius, 10 April 2004 - 05:04 PM.

Posted Image

#19 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 04:46 PM

CJ AEGIS, on Apr 10 2004, 11:45 AM, said:

GiGi, on Apr 10 2004, 01:17 PM, said:

Staying divided by pitting one party against the other is a big part of the problem.
Instead we should all start singing to the agenda of the Democrats.  :rolleyes: ;)
Aw man, and I had my heart set on Kumbaya....;)
Posted Image

#20 LJW

LJW
  • Islander
  • 229 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 05:09 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Apr 10 2004, 04:43 PM, said:

[The one that best expressed my sentiments was probably number 3 though that is from a purely emotional visceral level.  :)

Lil
Gasp!!!  Lil and I agree on something about politics!!! :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2004, Democratic candidates

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users