Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Dutoit on gender and the BEST take down EVER!!!

Culture Masculinity Gender Roles

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 08:27 PM

^ So, be a bit more open minded? :angel: ;)

And honestly, it really wasn't a fair fight.  The second I saw the picture of du Toit aiming a pistol at the top of the webpage, my internal alarms started screaming "Danger Jid Robinson!" repeatedly. (and if my brain had robotic arms, they'd have been flailing wildly by this point to.)

The other writer took more than a few *long* tangents off the beaten path, and tried to make it about more than just du Toit's ridiculous article, but hey, at least they were more entertaining in their style and commentary.

I mean really, anyone who can work in a comment about "Elvisification" has got my vote ;)

Edited by Jid, 18 April 2004 - 08:28 PM.

cervisiam tene rem specta

#22 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 08:37 PM

Yeah it *was* more or less (okay more) a case of shooting fish in a barrel but DAYUM it was fun!!!!!!!!!!!   :hehe:  :hehe:  :hehe:  :hehe:
Posted Image

#23 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 10:24 PM

Fun is in the eye of the beholder.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#24 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 10:28 PM

Yeah I don't imagine some people like it when someone smacks someone down with coherent arguments about why Clinton is not only the better man, but was also the better president.  :p  This guy rules.  But yeah, that's in the eyes of *this* beholder.  :p
Posted Image

#25 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 10:40 PM

You call that coherent? It was an edited together rant that had as much beauty and poise as a sumo wrestler after a good night out on the town in Osaka.  :p
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

#26 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 10:44 PM

*cough*  predictable *cough*  :p
Posted Image

#27 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 10:45 PM

tennyson, which link are you referring to?
Per aspera ad astra

#28 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 10:47 PM

Kevin I'd wager it's the second one...  Just an *educated guess*  ;)

:)
Posted Image

#29 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 10:59 PM

I don't know. Just going from his posts, tennyson could be talking about either essay.

Imo, the first link does read like deliberate parody, especially with the picture of the gun totin' author at the top.

#30 Rommie's Ronin

Rommie's Ronin

Out Of The Silent Planet

• Islander
  • 815 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 11:06 PM

Kevin Street, on Apr 18 2004, 09:57 PM, said:

I don't know. Just going from his posts, tennyson could be talking about either essay.

Imo, the first link does read like deliberate parody, especially with the picture of the gun totin' author at the top.
Duh... :cool:
"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been and never will be." ---John Wayne

http://www.smokingse...n.com/swafr.htm

#31 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 11:06 PM

^ interesting observation, but as a women (in spite of a few good points he makes) I DID not find it funny.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#32 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 11:10 PM

^  Well I have to say that I'm confident it's not a parody (more's the pity) based on the person who hooked me up to it in the first place.  I think the guy really thinks this crap which is just sick.  :(
Posted Image

#33 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 11:18 PM

Read.  The.  g*dd*mn.  Site.

It's.

F*cking.

Real.  

:crazy:
Posted Image

#34 Mr.Calgary

Mr.Calgary

Has left.

• Islander
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 12:23 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Apr 18 2004, 01:20 PM, said:

Here is the link to the BEST take down ever!  I mean, I, like want to date this guy!!!   :love:
Can you clarify for me??

-Everything- on the second link was written by the same person?   :question:

What you saw as the best take down, I saw as boring and tedious.  Like a S4 Andromeda script, a few rewrites short of being finished.

"Never in my lifetime has one end of the political spectrum so dominated American public life."  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

However......further up, the stuff about decreased civility in American political discourse was interesting.

As for the first link..... :unsure:
Favourite Coda thread quotes.....

(1)  Yes. Bad Trance! Wicked, Evil Trance!

(2)  Stayed purple.   (3)  Bad, bad Trance!

(4)  Love and Blowing Things Up continue forever. The universe wins

#35 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 12:29 AM

Frankly, I don't consider either of them to be examples of attitudes and beliefs that I find particularly loveable or good to promote allthough I find the second one to be significantly less on task than the other one. The only thing that the first essay has going for it is that it does seem to stay on task rather than bring in a smorgassboard of things that I don't see have any relevance as a response. So I find them both equally unhealthly, just not equally well written although the first one represents scholarship at the level of the grade school.  
Although I am curious what Lil meant by "typical" in her comment to me. I'm not sure which pattern of belief that this would fall under of mine to be called typical.

#36 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 12:31 AM

Mr.Calgary, on Apr 18 2004, 10:21 PM, said:

Una Salus Lillius, on Apr 18 2004, 01:20 PM, said:

Here is the link to the BEST take down ever!  I mean, I, like want to date this guy!!!   :love:
Can you clarify for me??

-Everything- on the second link was written by the same person?   :question:

Yup it was by the same person. I haven't quoted too many specifics in order to avoid profanity but I'll see what I can do tomorrow.:)

Lil
Posted Image

#37 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 01:52 AM

First link:
Like the second author said, some good points, but mostly filled with bigotry which overshadowed good points.

Second link:
Funny, well written, slams the first link into orbit, great read!

Third (Ilphi's) Link:
Hilarious! I was in tears reading about the Ralston, Petursson and Hirsch tributes!
The second greatest podcast in the history of ever:
http://geeksonaplain.blogspot.com/

#38 Guldorak

Guldorak
  • Islander
  • 393 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 08:10 AM

Oh boy.

That was a fun and bizarre read. Love the gun picture nothing says masculanity like a gun.

#39 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 11:36 AM

interesting observation, but as a women (in spite of a few good points he makes) I DID not find it funny.

Same here. I suppose it could be a parody, but... I've heard enough garbage about "feminization" to last me a lifetime, enough to convince me that that first site is no parody. Fine, *have* a problem with the way society is going, because I have some major problems with it, but when it's all blamed on female influence, and "feminization" is used as a vile insult... I'm sick of men who have to use that word as an insult. (What's wrong, guys? So insecure in your masculinity that you have to keep women down because they might *threaten* you?) While I've woken up from some of my feminist ideas, because I've met so many women in the last few years who fill me with nothing but contempt, I'm tired of women being blamed for all of society's ills.

What you saw as the best take down, I saw as boring and tedious. Like a S4 Andromeda script, a few rewrites short of being finished.

Heh. While I'm not sure I agree entirely, I've decided not to read it until I have some more time. I used up enough time and patience last night reading the first site's rant...
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#40 Rommie's Ronin

Rommie's Ronin

Out Of The Silent Planet

• Islander
  • 815 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 11:44 AM

I agree Tennyson.  At least the first author, boorish as he is, can keep on track.  I'm not sure who's more laughable: him or someone calling themselves the Philosoraptor.
"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been and never will be." ---John Wayne

http://www.smokingse...n.com/swafr.htm

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Culture, Masculinity, Gender Roles

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users