• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 06:48 PM

Just a thought: Use this thread to list the best free or trial software that people should have on their systems.

One example:

Adaware
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 Zanthra

Zanthra
  • Islander
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 06:53 PM

Is this just software that can assist/improve secirity/preformance/userfirendlieness/fixproblems?  Or is this for any software?  And do we link to it as well?

I would like to say here that if you want free software for a specific purpouse, goto Source Forge and search for what you want.  They have thousands of programs there, all open source, and all free for every purpouse imaginable.

AdAware as Rov said.  A good program for finding software that tracks browsing and loads popup windows.

Spybot Search and Destory.  http://www.safer-networking.org/  The best compliment of AdAware, it searches more for keyloggers and password sniffers than popup generators.

Spyware Blaster  http://www.javacools...areblaster.html  A program with a collection of registry keys/hole fillers that prevents software from loading it'self onto your computer without your knowledge.

Edited by Zanthra, 18 April 2004 - 07:00 PM.

#3 iMel

iMel

New and improved!

• Islander
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 06:58 PM

AVG Antivirus
Spybot Search & Destroy
Diskeeper Lite
Ultraplayer
Sygate Personal Firewall
I use these words pretty loosely. There's so much more to life than words.
--Over the Rhine, "Latter Days"

Formerly known as Neozephryus :)

#4 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 07:33 PM

Foobar2000
MP3 player with ASIO and kernel streaming output modes. (It plays many other audio formats besides MP3.) It also has a plugin that does decent-quality resampling. This is good for people with Creative cards, which force resampling of 44.1kHz to 48kHz, but do a poor job of it.

Edited by QuantumFlux, 18 April 2004 - 07:38 PM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#5 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 11:31 AM

One of the guys at work ran AdAware on the computer and cleared off over 147 spyware files.  :blink:  :Oo:   And I cleaned 46 off *this* computer.  So, I'll just add my endorsement :hehe:
Proud ally and supporter of Euro-snobs and international flakes.

Signs your coworker may be able to manipulate time:  "Is this the first time you've called here before?"

Signs your coworker needs to work on their vocabularly:  A:  "It opens up in Notepad and it's just jibberish."  B:  "So you can't understand it?"

#6 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 12:01 PM

For Mac Users: www.ambrosiasw.com. Fun and games! Escape Velocity (all variants) is not to be missed.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#7 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 12:55 PM

For Mac users running OS X: MacJanitor is a must. As the author says, "MacJanitor is freeware (as in free beer)."  :D

http://personalpages...macjanitor.html

#8 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 06:33 PM

Escape Velocity (all variants) is not to be missed.

I love that game! I sure wish they made a PC version, my ten year old Mac probably wouldn't survive running the game, never minddownload it.

Err, to add to the discussion, WinAmp is free, is it not?

Side note: Anyone know how to get rid of that pesky overtype mode?
The second greatest podcast in the history of ever:
http://geeksonaplain.blogspot.com/

#9 Anna

Anna

Island Native

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 07:27 PM

ZipperInt, on Apr 22 2004, 05:31 PM, said:

Side note: Anyone know how to get rid of that pesky overtype mode?
On the PC, hit the "insert" key again. I often invoke the overtype when I miss the backspace key...  :whistle:

Oh, Adobe Acrobat Reader (www.adobe.com) for those PDF files we love so much!

Anna

Edited by RPITA, 22 April 2004 - 07:28 PM.

Seldom do we regret words we do not speak.

--------------

Amendment X: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

#10 Rommie's Ronin

Rommie's Ronin

Out Of The Silent Planet

• Islander
  • 815 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 09:14 PM

Neozephyrus, on Apr 18 2004, 05:56 PM, said:

You know, I bought McAfee a few months ago and it's caught some viruses.  Lately, I suspected I had a virus, but McAfee couldn't find it.  I saw your post here, and downloaded AVG and ran it...it found 8 viruses.  :D

This is a great scanner, thanks for the tip.  :cool:
"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been and never will be." ---John Wayne

http://www.smokingse...n.com/swafr.htm

#11 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:19 PM

ZipperInt, on Apr 22 2004, 07:31 PM, said:

Escape Velocity (all variants) is not to be missed.

I love that game! I sure wish they made a PC version, my ten year old Mac probably wouldn't survive running the game, never minddownload it.
Uhh, they do have a PC version.  Or at least there's a PC version of EV Nova and I know cause I own it.  :)  

There is no EV or EV: Override for PC, but there are conversions to allow PC EVN to become EV or EVO.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#12 iMel

iMel

New and improved!

• Islander
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 01:58 PM

Rommie's Ronin, on Apr 22 2004, 09:12 PM, said:

Neozephyrus, on Apr 18 2004, 05:56 PM, said:

You know, I bought McAfee a few months ago and it's caught some viruses.  Lately, I suspected I had a virus, but McAfee couldn't find it.  I saw your post here, and downloaded AVG and ran it...it found 8 viruses.  :D

This is a great scanner, thanks for the tip.  :cool:
You're welcome! I'm glad it was of help. :)
I use these words pretty loosely. There's so much more to life than words.
--Over the Rhine, "Latter Days"

Formerly known as Neozephryus :)

#13 Zanthra

Zanthra
  • Islander
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 03:10 PM

Did you update the Norton Virus Definitions?

#14 cylkoth

cylkoth

I'm a non attorney spokesperson

• Islander
  • 6,593 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 03:11 PM

Webroot Windows Washer is a great tool for findind and deleting temp files, coookies, and other junk that piles up on your hard drive as you surf around the web. You can set it to save files and cookies you don't want deleted-such as bbs cookies, so you won't have to re-enter them.

Windows Washer

It's free for only a month, then afterwards you won't be able to download another free copy-they've changed it so you can't obtain another download...
It was startling to see how much crap gets put on your pc, even with a firewall in place.
------------------------------------------------------
Am I Blue?
Am I Blue...
Ain't these tears, in my eyes, telling you?

#15 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 03:41 PM

I'm running AVG right now, and it has found viruses that Norton completely missed, and yes me and the Last Roomie are regular updaters of Norton stuff..it just wasn't seeing there at all..

Donner party of three, ...Donner party of three...
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#16 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 01:50 AM

The same thing happened to me with Norton vs. AVG.  I had noticed some very weird things going on with my "Bytes recieved" and "Bytes sent" numbers, and Norton didn't pick up on *anything*, even with compulsive regular updates.  So, I DLed AVG and it picked up three different virus/trojan things Norton missed.
Proud ally and supporter of Euro-snobs and international flakes.

Signs your coworker may be able to manipulate time:  "Is this the first time you've called here before?"

Signs your coworker needs to work on their vocabularly:  A:  "It opens up in Notepad and it's just jibberish."  B:  "So you can't understand it?"

#17 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 07:13 AM

Mozilla and Firefox

Something's been wrong with my IE since I've had it so my son recommended these other 2 browsers. I really like them and they're free.

#18 Wally

Wally

CEO of Kansas

• Islander
  • 228 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 09:40 AM

Just seconding the firefox plug. Best browser ever!
http://www.mozilla.o...oducts/firefox/
"I want to live. I want to experience the universe, and I want to eat pie."  - Urgo

#19 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 02:13 AM

Uncle Sid said:

Or at least there's a PC version of EV Nova and I know cause I own it.

Thanks for the info, Uncle Sid. I've downloaded EV Nova and played up to the part where it tells me I need to register to further the storyline. Did you register, and is the rest of the game worth the $30?
The second greatest podcast in the history of ever:
http://geeksonaplain.blogspot.com/

#20 parisindy

parisindy

Uglier then homemade soup

• Islander
  • 8,032 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 08:04 PM

loooooooooooove adware use it all the time

i still need a free or cheap copy of a movie script formatting program if anyone knows where i can get one please let me know
Hope Lives again, serving the pro-Andromeda fandom!!
Totally DBD!

"God bless Einstein, but I had to boost his theory just a little."
-Harper, Decay of the Angel

Remember that a good friend will come and  bail you out of
jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
       "Damn...that was fun!"
Posted Image proud member of the Celtic Kelp... 7672.5 miles and counting Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users