205 replies to this topic

#21 Rommie's Ronin

Rommie's Ronin

Out Of The Silent Planet

• Islander
  • 815 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 08:47 PM

Wally, on Apr 25 2004, 09:38 AM, said:

Just seconding the firefox plug. Best browser ever!
http://www.mozilla.o...oducts/firefox/
Thirded!

Love Firefox...no popups!!!
"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been and never will be." ---John Wayne

http://www.smokingse...n.com/swafr.htm

#22 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 08:51 PM

ZipperInt, on Apr 26 2004, 03:11 AM, said:

Thanks for the info, Uncle Sid. I've downloaded EV Nova and played up to the part where it tells me I need to register to further the storyline. Did you register, and is the rest of the game worth the $30?
I paid for the game.  Is it worth it?  Well, of all of the EV games, this is the best one.  There's at least six major storylines and a few others as well.  There's also mods out there, although I never really got around to loading any of them and I don't know about how those would work with the PC version, but it was possible to port mods from Mac to PC.

In any event, if you'd have paid for EV or EVO, then you'd be just fine paying for this one as well.  It also depends on what 30 bucks means to you.  I'm at a point in my life that I can pretty much shrug off thirty bucks here and there, but you may not be.  Personally, I was not always as well off myself, so I know.  

In any event, I think that the 30 bucks going to Ambrosia will mean more than 30-50 bucks going to Blizzard or whoever, so if you're going to buy one game and borrow the rest, buy from the little guys, esp the little guys who have been writing for the Mac when I was back in college like ten years ago.  They make quality games for the size of the operation.

Edited by Uncle Sid, 29 April 2004 - 08:52 PM.

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#23 Zanthra

Zanthra
  • Islander
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 09:20 AM

They distribute plugs for EV Nova, even the PC version, that let you play EV and EV:O in the new engine.  As long as you have registered EV Nova.

#24 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 10:18 AM

Rommie's Ronin, on Apr 29 2004, 08:45 PM, said:

Thirded!

Unless you tell it you want popups, like here where I have it set to pop up a notification of pm's.

Otherwise, yeah, no popups!!! :D

#25 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 10:28 AM

My parents computer is 3 years old, and since they first got it have been a virus magnet. They have so much antivirus software on here I'm not sure how it manages to function.

But they don't have any anti spyware.  I realized this last night and after fighting with the comp for a couple of hours managed to dl Spybot S&D, and Adaware.  I installed them and ran them. S&D fouond a lot, but I expected that.

What I did not expect was for Adaware to find over 7400 pieces of mal ware and spyware.  I about fell out of the chair, just flat out floored. It took a couple of reboots and a dose of CWShredder ( which I also highly recommend ) but my parents computer is doing quite a bit better.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#26 Zanthra

Zanthra
  • Islander
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 10:32 AM

Probably 6000 copies of the same adware and several hundred of others.

Edited by Zanthra, 30 April 2004 - 10:32 AM.

#27 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 10:33 AM

Kinda - over a thousand of something called GMSoft.... :grr:  :grr:
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#28 BR48

BR48

I eat the uncertainty principle for breakfast.

• Islander
  • 574 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 01:41 PM

Rommie's Ronin, on Apr 30 2004, 01:45 AM, said:

Thirded!

And speaking of avoiding popups, I recommend Proxomitron.  It's a very small, unobtrusive program that will remove popups and lots of other annoyances (like animated GIFs).  It's also very easy to change what you want it to do.  If you want to see animated GIFs, for example, it only takes a couple of clicks to reactive them.

Edited by BR48, 30 April 2004 - 01:42 PM.

#29 Darkside_1

Darkside_1

Your friendly Neighborhood Moderator.

• 3,091 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:30 PM

I use a handy little program called nPOP to see what new e-mail has come into my ISP's e-mail server before it even hits my system.

The program can be found here.

If you click on the "View Screenshot" within the site, it will show the version that is in Japanese.

The program is approx. 84 KB and will work in all Win32 versions:
(Win95, Win98, WinME, WinNT4, 2000, XP) and can be downloaded here.

There are downloadable versions for the Pocket PC PDA platforms running either WinCE or PocketPC depending on what kind of processor you're using in your PDA and what OS version you have...

"Harry S. Truman said that he felt like a bale of hay fell on him.

I feel like I got the whole damn barn."

Darren "Condor" McGavin - "By Dawn's Early Light"

HBO TV Movie - 1990

*** (Click here to view my signature) ***

Posted Image

"A pound of supplies taken from your enemy is worth 10 pounds of your own supplies"
Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

#30 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 10:19 PM

When I had an iMac, I noticed that clicking on the apple in the corner (in OS X) have me an option called something like "Get Mac OS software", which sent me to an Apple website with a bunch of links to downloadable programs made for Apple computers by other programmers. The two main things I remember getting there, although I did download more, were Measles and Forest. Measles should have been called Marbles; when I ran it it would throw a bunch of little marbles of different sizes and colors onto the screen, and they'd bounce around all over while I worked, clicking when they hit somehting. Forest would play a set of nature sounds (randomly timed like they would be in reality) from chirping bugs to distant barking dogs to thunder, along with more constant ones like wind, rain, and a little stream running over some rocks. I especially miss Forest and wish I knew of something like it for my Windows PC.

The only thing I've got now is a screensaver called Nostalgic. It's called that because as it cycles through a collection of images, it slowly zooms in or out and/or pans along the picture's long axis, like the "nostalgic"-looking views of pictures you see on TV documentaries and biographies. I use it instead of the image-shifting screensaver that came with Windows because I don't like that one's transitions or the random image placement.

#31 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 10:24 PM

Darkside_1, on May 10 2004, 08:28 PM, said:

I use a handy little program called nPOP to see what new e-mail has come into my ISP's e-mail server before it even hits my system.
I could never use a program whose name reminded me of that song "Mm-Bop" by Hansen.

#32 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 06:15 PM

I just talked to Cyberhippie awhile ago and he said he had the Sasser worm and was looking for the removal tool. He got shut down before I could try to send it to him (I have it on floppy) but he probably wouldn't have been able to get it before getting shut down again.

To get the removal tool, go to Symantec and download the tool.

I would recommend people download it and at least put it on a floppy like I did, just in case. Same goes for the Blaster, which is at the same site.

I hope CH can find and get it, either from his puter or work or something, but everyone needs it. If you have the worm and can't stay online long enough to download the tool I'd recommend you get a good floppy and go to a friend's computer and get it.

Anyway, that's all. :)

Could I make a small suggestion? Could you maybe stickify this thread, there are too many good free things on it for it to get buried again. Just a suggestion.

#33 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 06:40 PM

CWShreader

To catch stuff even Adaware doesn't catch..... scroll down to almost the end of the page.

~ Cait

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#34 prolog

prolog

The Merry Programmer

• Islander
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 10:47 AM

It depends.

If you're a programmer, download Java 1.5, SWI-Prolog, and gvim (for text editing).

That's pretty much all I use my system for...

#35 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 10:57 AM

Chatterbox, on Jun 10 2004, 12:13 AM, said:

I just talked to Cyberhippie awhile ago and he said he had the Sasser worm and was looking for the removal tool. He got shut down before I could try to send it to him (I have it on floppy) but he probably wouldn't have been able to get it before getting shut down again.
yup

However what i think i can do, is get my regular PC to not die on me, long enouhg to download it over ADSL, write it to a diskette and install on the laptop

if not, i'll bring in a diskette

and Chatterbox (((((((((((((( Chatterbox ))))))))))))) thankies

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#36 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 01:37 PM

You're very welcome, {{{{{{{{{{{{{{ CH }}}}}}}}}}}}} :)

Always happy to help a friend in need, if I'm able :)

#37 Jacmac

Jacmac

Auld Dragon Lady

• Islander
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 02:04 PM

Can I back the sticky request - this is brilliant - I had SERIOUS problems till Rov, Silverwind and Cylkoth helped with suggestions!

Jac
:crazy:  :crazy:  :crazy:
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#38 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 02:12 PM

Thanks, Jac, I'd just hate to see this thread buried on page 2 or deeper again since it has such good stuff in it :)

#39 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

E.I.'s resident insomniac

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 03:50 PM

I also support the sticky this thread. I wanted to ask that also ;)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

#40 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 02:36 AM

Slackware Linux  --  Great OS if you are a power-user :cool: (warning: has very high learning curve)

I agree with everyone that has praised Mozilla Firefox. Simply the best browser currently available, IMO. It doesn't display everything perfectly but it is a great alternative to Internet Explorer. :cool:
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users