Free Good Software

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#201 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:18 PM

Mark: I've enjoyed the IOBIT software/freeware I've downloaded from, IOBIT.COM. Namely the Advanced SystemCare 3 and the Advanced SystemCare 4 (Beta)  programs. They are great system watchers/keepers. They do a multitude of things that help your entire system at the push of a single button.
I don't know what I did without these programs. Their Smart Defrag 2 (beta 3.0) is also a great defrag program. It allows you not only to defrag and optimize your files in two different ways, but also has an auto-defrag feature, and boot-time defrag feature. Really nice.
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#202 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

If you are into photography, and have a Nikon camera - mosey along to your local Nikon website and download ViewNX. Save yourself a fortune by not buying Photoshop...
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#203 Darkside_1

Darkside_1

Your friendly Neighborhood Moderator.

• 3,091 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:16 AM

If you have the new Windows 8 operating system and miss the start menu capabilities of the earlier operating systems, there are alternatives that you can use.  One of which is called "Classic Shell" from Sourceforge.net that you can use this skin to get the old Windows Vista/7 Start Menu feel with the orb.  Classic Shell is totally customizable.

One other thing with the Win 7 theme for Classic shell.  Follow the instructions shown about half way down the page, then exit classic shell and restart it to activate the new changes.  The page even has a linked video file on how to do it.

Another alternative is the trial version of Start8 from Stardock Software.

Although Start8 doesn't look and feel like Windows 7/Vista it does have some features that are interesting.

If you use Rainmeter skins, there is one skin that I forget where I found it in the gallery, but it had a stand-alone "Start Menu" exe file that brought up the start menu for Vista/Win 7 or the new Start Screen in Win 8.  I have incorporated both the Classic shell with the Win 7 skin and the Start menu exe file so I can dual-access the start menu options.

Edited by Darkside_1, 17 December 2012 - 02:29 AM.

"Harry S. Truman said that he felt like a bale of hay fell on him.

I feel like I got the whole damn barn."

Darren "Condor" McGavin - "By Dawn's Early Light"

HBO TV Movie - 1990

*** (Click here to view my signature) ***

Posted Image

"A pound of supplies taken from your enemy is worth 10 pounds of your own supplies"
Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

#204 Darkside_1

Darkside_1

• 3,091 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:52 PM

My newer tools of the trade... sort of speak...

Oracle's Virtual Box - for running another operating system in virtual mode without reformatting your hard drive.  I have on my Win 8.1 system Linux Mint Maya 13 running in virtual mode

TeamViewer - (Free when not used for commercial purposes) for remote desktop access and when I do tech support for my dad's system

IMGBurn  -  Tool for creating your own ISO images from folders or CD's

Bulk Rename Utility  -  File and folder rename utility with a lot of options for re-naming files and folders in bulk.  Great for renaming MP3's and photo collections

WinDirSTAT  -  Tool for seeing how much space your drive is occupying and how space is utilized.

HBO TV Movie - 1990

Posted Image

"A pound of supplies taken from your enemy is worth 10 pounds of your own supplies"
Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

#205 Darkside_1

Darkside_1

• 3,091 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:00 PM

I found this little gem of a program, nircmd where you can use it to for example if you have CD/DVD drives, you can use it to open and close your drives from a command line or batch file.

Link:  http://www.nirsoft.n...ils/nircmd.html

Nircmd has other uses as well that could be helpful to you.  It's available in 64 bit and 32 bit versions that will work on all versions of Windows even going all the way back to Windows 9x.

I've discovered using it with Windows' built in WMIC commands to detect what 'logical drives' are used as CD/DVD drive(s) regardless of the drive letter so I could on a laptop create my own "Eject" button for my toolbar.  (This was inspired by Macintosh laptops that have a slot load drive that has a dedicated eject key on the keyboard.)

The best part of WMIC is that it doesn't require any elevation privileges when working from either a command line or batch file.

WMIC Usage from the command prompt:  

This line will list all drive letters and what kind of drives you have available:  wmic logicaldisk get description,name

For working with CD drives only, you can do this:  wmic logicaldisk where drivetype=5 get description,name

There are 7 drivetype categories you can work with from 0 - 6

0 - Unknown, 1 - No Root Directory, 2 - Removable Disk, 3 - Local Disk, 4 - Network Disk, 5 - CD Disc, 6 - RAM Disk

So, going back to nircmd, the program is in a small ZIP file download from the site.  There is no installer, the files work as is from the command line.
After extracting the file; as a tip, I would put the exe file in your windows folder so that it's inside the search path variable along with any batch files you use with it so that it can be run from the command line directly and called properly from a file.  

This is what I did to create the script for opening the CD drive for all connected drives (in case you have a USB DVD drive attached as an extra, etc.)

Batch file:

@echo off
for /f "tokens=2 delims==" %%d in ('wmic logicaldisk where "drivetype=5" get name /format:value') do nircmd open %%d

Note:  The for statement is meant to be typed as one line (in case of word wrap when viewing)

This will check for each instance of all connected CD drives (drivetype = 5) where the drive letter is passed to variable %%d then if a drive is found, it's then passed to nircmd in the do statement with the drive letter contained in %%d thus executing the call to open the drive.

You can do the same to make nircmd close the drives (if you are using a tower system) by changing open command to close

This could be handy if you wanted to create a direct toolbar button on your taskbar.  Once you've created the batch files, move them to the Windows folder and right click on the batch file, go into properties and change the icon to something suitable from the Shell32.dll library in the Windows/System32 folder.
I know for Windows 7 and higher, there inside is an up pointing white triangle and a down triangle icon that could be useful for eject and close icons when searching through shell32.dll

Edited by Darkside_1, 20 February 2016 - 07:02 PM.

HBO TV Movie - 1990

Posted Image

Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

#206 AaronRic

AaronRic
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 06:24 PM

Does anyone know any good websites with 3 C stuff? Pictures, reviews etc

thank you

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users