• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#41 Jacmac

Jacmac

Auld Dragon Lady

• Islander
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 01:59 AM

Just used this again, so I thought I'd bump it it case anyone else wanted to use it too!

Jac
:ninja:  :ninja:  :ninja:
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#42 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,744 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 11:52 AM

Found this while dl adaware and spybot

WinPatrol

Anyone heard of it? I've installed it to see what it'll do, it's supposed to warn if something tries to install itself without permission and it lets me view and delete cookies that I don't want, so maybe someone could tell me what else it can do?

#43 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 03:07 PM

i'm going to renew the call that this thread be pinned.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#44 Rommie's Ronin

Rommie's Ronin

Out Of The Silent Planet

• Islander
  • 815 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 03:58 PM

Pin this thread please!  I've gotten awesome free stuff here :)
"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been and never will be." ---John Wayne

http://www.smokingse...n.com/swafr.htm

#45 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 10:23 PM

Pin?  Do I hear a call for pinning?  

Okay, you twisted my arm.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#46 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

E.I.'s resident insomniac

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 11:26 PM

Does a dance at the pinning.

Lets throw a party!

*dances around and tosses free software in the air*
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

#47 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,744 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 07:39 PM

*Untwists Uncle Sid's arm and gives him a great big hug and smoochie* :love:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

*Hopes Uncle Sid didn't pin his finger while pinning this.... ;)

#48 Rommie's Ronin

Rommie's Ronin

Out Of The Silent Planet

• Islander
  • 815 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 07:45 PM

Ooo-rah...thanks Uncle Sid!
"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been and never will be." ---John Wayne

http://www.smokingse...n.com/swafr.htm

#49 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 02:46 AM

Uncle Sid, on Jun 14 2004, 11:21 PM, said:

Pin?  Do I hear a call for pinning?
Thanks! :D

Okay, you twisted my arm.
Ouch! I hope that didn't hurt too much... :unsure:  :hehe:
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#50 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,744 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 03:26 PM

OK, back to the topic at hand, namely free good software :)

I don't know how many of you would actually use this but my son in law sent me a site where I could download a bible program, along with commentaries, dictionaries, concordances, different translations of the Bible and maps. There's a ton of stuff here for anyone who does any kind of bible study. Here's the link:

E-Sword

#51 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 03:45 PM

For the Mac users, a great FREE desktop calender program:

http://www.pandacorn...doCalendar.html

Description: (Freeware) This useful Mac-only program places a fully functional calendar on your desktop. The look is completely customizable. You can change the calendar's font, size, and the colors used to draw the calendar; the background can be entirely transparent, so you can still see your desktop picture; you can center the current week (so you are always able to look back and ahead a full month at a time). PandoCalendar can display the numerical number of the weeks of the year, display the calendar with European style weeks (Monday being the first day and Sunday being the last), assign notes to any day of the year by clicking on the day in the calendar, and set alarms to remind you of time sensitive events. You can also have PandoCalendar automatically plot the days you work. Great for people who don't have a Monday-Friday work schedule!

Versions available for OS X and the older systems. :)

Really cool program.

#52 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,744 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 10:24 AM

Since my original post for this dropped off the forum altogether I thought I'd put it in here since it is free software and seems to be pretty good. It's a utility that opens just about any kind of graphic file. Here's the specs:

XnView is a utility for viewing and converting
graphic files.

It has the features :

Import about 400 graphic file formats
Export about 50 graphic file formats
Multipage TIFF, Animated GIF, Animated ICO support
IPTC, EXIF
Resize
Copy/Cut/Crop
Adjust brigthness, contrast...
Modify number of colors
Apply filters (blur, average, emboss, ...)
Apply effects (lens, wave, ...)
Fullscreen mode
Slide show
Picture browser
Batch convert
Thumbnail create
Screen capture
Contact Sheet create
Multi-page file create (TIFF, DCX, LDF)
TWAIN support (Windows only)
Print support (Windows only)
Drag & Drop support (Windows only)
44 languages support (Windows only)
And many many other things...

XnView is provided as FREEWARE for private non-commercial or educational use (including non-profit organization)

Note : For commercial use, it is necessary to register. It is a help for the development of future versions. XnView for Linux, FreeBSD are FREE also for commercial use.

Here's the dl page:

XnView

Edited by Chatterbox, 30 June 2004 - 10:27 AM.

#53 Anna

Anna

Island Native

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 02:55 PM

Post-It Notes for your desktop. I don't even remember where I got this program years ago. Now there's free version, which I'm using since I needed an upgraded program forWin2K.

It installs in your start-up file and all you need to do is click on it to bring up a little Post-It note that will stay on your desktop until you delete it. I write myself notes with them all the time, and they're great when you want to highlight and copy stuff from the internet, but don't want to bring up Word or Notepad or any of that. Oh! And there's an alarm feature, too! Handy little thing.

There are other versions for a fee, but the free one is perfect for me. Go to:
http://www.3m.com/ma...index.html#lite

Scroll down to find the free download. I can't live without this program!!

Anna
Seldom do we regret words we do not speak.

--------------

Amendment X: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

#54 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,744 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 09:19 PM

Those Post-It notes are really cool, thanks, Anna :D

#55 Anna

Anna

Island Native

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:00 PM

You're welcome! These have been part of my computer for so long, I forgot that someone else might find them useful.

Anna
Seldom do we regret words we do not speak.

--------------

Amendment X: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

#56 Monsters Cry Alone

Monsters Cry Alone

Can't You See I'm Bleeding?

• Islander
  • 5,683 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 01:14 AM

A Lovely little program is DIZzy... it reads .nfo files with a simple drag and drop thing... It's tiny and does exactly what it says. I'd give it 5 stars

The Blurb says: DIZzy displays DIZ, NFO and other ASCII-extended text files. Supports drag-and-drop, file associations and command line. Amazingly small, self-contained, flexible and free program. DIZzy does not add or alter any system settings, require installation or de-installation, add or modify other files.

Generally just not missed

#57 Harper 2.0

Harper 2.0

Harper 2.0

• Islander
  • 891 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 01:02 PM

Wally, on Apr 25 2004, 02:38 PM, said:

Just seconding the firefox plug. Best browser ever!
http://www.mozilla.o...oducts/firefox/
I've had a few recommendations for other browsers but have been nervous to sway...if I swap to say firefox will it over write my internet dial up setting or anything like that? I'm nervous about change cause if things go wrong I wont have the know how to fix em :rolleyes:

Pam
Posted Image

Angel

Spin The Bottle
Gunn:
What happened to you, man?

Wesley:
I had my throat cut and all my friends abandoned me

#58 LaughingVulcan

LaughingVulcan

Isn't it about time you got a little more LV in your life?

• Islander
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 03:31 PM

How about some good fun thinking games?

A great Go program - Go is also known as Igo in Japan, or Baduk in Korean, or Wei Qi in Chinese -- much easier to find sites using those words.
TurboGo can be found hereIf you've never played go, a great introduction to it is here.  It's easier to learn than chess, yet can be more complex in strategy.
(There are lot of other good for-pay Go programs, and I'll happily take PMs about my faves.)

Chess - the best freeware still has to be Winboard, found at Tim Mann's Chess Pages.  It's easy to install with GNU Chess installed.  After that you can try going onto Internet Chess Servers with it, view played game files with it, download all sorts of freeware/shareware chess engines (most of which are conceptualized to work with the Winboard standard.)  Then you can pit one program against another.  :ninjadeath:

For Chess Servers, I still prefer the Internet Chess Club's BlitzIn software.  You can go there at ICC's homepage.  BlitzIn DOES have semi-spyware, I say semi- because it can report running processes to the Admins there, in an effort to curb computer ©heating.

Finally, the ultimate in strategy games could be found here.  Enjoy!

-LV
Posted Image
Nikki's Loving LV.  Property of the PPD.  Aka "Mr. Peppermint"
The Vulcan-Pixie alliance is strong.

#59 Jacmac

Jacmac

Auld Dragon Lady

• Islander
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 12:51 PM

Harper 2.0, on Jul 18 2004, 06:00 PM, said:

Wally, on Apr 25 2004, 02:38 PM, said:

Just seconding the firefox plug. Best browser ever!
http://www.mozilla.o...oducts/firefox/
I've had a few recommendations for other browsers but have been nervous to sway...if I swap to say firefox will it over write my internet dial up setting or anything like that? I'm nervous about change cause if things go wrong I wont have the know how to fix em :rolleyes:

Pam
Harper I agree!  I've heard so many good things about mozilla firefox, I'd love to try but wouldn't even know where to start.  Does it just download and take the place of windows?  Do I need to save anything to put onto it in case I lose things?

Ph to be computer literate! :blush:

Jac
:ninja:  :ninja:  :ninja:
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#60 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,744 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 01:24 PM

Jac, Harper, Firefox won't overwrite anything, it's just another browser. your dial-up settings stay the same.  It does import your bookmarks from IE so you don't even have to do that and you can set it to allow popups at sites where you get popup notification of pms or something like that.

It's a really nice browser and i have very few complaints about it.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users