Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

John Kerry Google'd

Election 2004 John Kerry 2004

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Fire_Storm20

Fire_Storm20

I love the smell of napalm in the moring...

• Islander
  • 187 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 05:36 PM

go to http://www.google.com , search for Waffles, and guess who's website pops up first?  John Kerry's!   :angel:   BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :devil:

#2 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 05:39 PM

Well, since he's been serving them for 20 years, he should come up first! ;)

#3 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 05:52 PM

^But do they taste good?
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#4 prolog

prolog

The Merry Programmer

• Islander
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 07:44 PM

That is so unbelievably lame.

#5 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 08:17 PM

In some of the blogs I read, they've made mention of eforts to have this happen...I guerss they susceeded....
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#6 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,554 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 09:53 AM

And considering with Google you can actually pay them to have someone's name to come up first when connected to a certain term, it isn't all that valid an observation.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#7 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 09:59 AM

didn't they have one with GWB not to long ago, where if you put in a particular negative phrase and let google do it's thing it would go straight a page about the president?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#8 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 10:25 AM

Cyberhippie, on Apr 23 2004, 09:57 AM, said:

didn't they have one with GWB not to long ago, where if you put in a particular negative phrase and let google do it's thing it would go straight a page about the president?
Yep, although I can't remember what that phrase was. So at least Google is bipartisan.  :cool:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#9 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 10:56 AM

G-man, on Apr 23 2004, 07:51 AM, said:

And considering with Google you can actually pay them to have someone's name to come up first when connected to a certain term, it isn't all that valid an observation.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
No you can't; in this case, a google bomb was launched, just like with Bush.

And the phrase that hit him was the Gephartian "miserable failure". The second link is Carter, the third is Moore, and the fourth is Sen. Clinton. But it was all google-bombing, no money involved.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#10 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 11:07 AM

Including their "I feel lucky" links, Google has had a long pattern of Bush-bashing while paying essentially no attention to anybody else in politics. Some examples have been posted here. One mimicked the "page not found" message with all the words changed to stuff about weapons of mass destruction. In another case, something about rape prevention/awareness would take you to websites talking about getting Bush out of office so he'll quit raping the country or telling a tragic first-hand rape victim/survivor's tale from Bush's dog's POV.

#11 prolog

prolog

The Merry Programmer

• Islander
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 11:09 AM

Delvo: the basics of PageRank, the proprietary algorithm that Google uses to index pages, are known.  Because of that, it's possible to influence where sites turn up for various searches.  I hate to break it to you, but there's no Great Liberal Conspiracy here.

#12 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:47 PM

Delvo, on Apr 23 2004, 09:05 AM, said:

Including their "I feel lucky" links, Google has had a long pattern of Bush-bashing while paying essentially no attention to anybody else in politics.
Not really. Type "french military victories" in google and hit "I'm feeling lucky". And, as noted, the second, third, and fourth 'miserable failure' results are all liberal targets. And, as prolog stated, it's all based on math and a computer program. Anybody can google-bomb anything; liberals have just been more organized....
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#13 Guldorak

Guldorak
  • Islander
  • 393 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 01:16 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Apr 23 2004, 05:45 PM, said:

Delvo, on Apr 23 2004, 09:05 AM, said:

Including their "I feel lucky" links, Google has had a long pattern of Bush-bashing while paying essentially no attention to anybody else in politics.
Not really. Type "french military victories" in google and hit "I'm feeling lucky". And, as noted, the second, third, and fourth 'miserable failure' results are all liberal targets. And, as prolog stated, it's all based on math and a computer program. Anybody can google-bomb anything; liberals have just been more organized....
This is the page I got when I typed french military victories"  in google and pressed I am feeling lucky

Google

ooops just noticed the earl. Not a google page :blush:

when you click regular resuts this is what you get

google 2

I thought that the proprietary algorithm of google were a well kept secret. How much work would it take to get google to pull up the results you want?

Edited by Guldorak, 23 April 2004 - 01:21 PM.

#14 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 04:11 PM

^ While the specifics are secret, the general idea is known. A major portion of each page's score is determined by that page's PageRank score. The general idea of PageRank is to solve a system of the equations of the form:

PR(A) = (1-d) +d( PR(A1) / C(A1) + ... + PR(An) / C(An) )

d is a constant between 0 and 1. (I think Google uses 0.85.)

PR(P) is the PageRank of page P.
A1, A2, ..., An are the pages that link to page A.
C(P) is the number of links out of page P.

Each page A has its own equation of the above form, and as you can see, there are dependencies between the equations. Fortunately, this system of equations has the property that if you iterate through the equations, calculating PR(A) for each A, you will rapidly converge on the solution.

In other words, it helps a page's ranking to have lots of highly-ranked pages pointing to it, especially if those highly-ranked pages link to few other pages. In other words, the recommendation of a Nobel Prize Laurette carries more weight if he recommends just a handful of his students rather than many of his students.

So if enough people who have blogs on the large blog sites collude with each other and have links with the hypertext "waffle," pointing to John Kerry's homepage, guess which page Google ranks the highest.

Of course, the really sad part of this whole affair is that John Kerry's detractors can't think of anything more original than "Waffle."
"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#15 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 04:30 PM

prolog, on Apr 23 2004, 10:07 AM, said:

I hate to break it to you, but there's no Great Liberal Conspiracy here.
So why pretend I've said there was one?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2004, John Kerry, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users