9 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:32 PM

http://story.news.ya...oss_country_cat

When workers at San Francisco's Department of Animal Care and Control located the owner of a newly arrived stray cat three weeks ago, they couldn't believe what they found: the cat belonged to a woman in Bradenton, Fla. 3,000 miles away.

Florida resident Pamela Edwards had adopted the black, short-haired cat in the summer of 1997, naming it Cheyenne. Just a few months later, Cheyenne disappeared. Edwards hung flyers and ran ads in the local paper to try to locate the cat, but had no luck.

Earlier this month, she received a call from her local shelter: Cheyenne had been found, in San Francisco.

"I figured, there's no way that's my Cheyenne," Edwards said. "I told them, 'I had a cat named Cheyenne, but I've never lived in San Francisco.'"

Cheyenne was dropped off at Animal Care and Control on April 1 after someone found her wandering down a San Francisco street. After scanning her for a microchip and finding she had been lost in Florida seven years ago, they wondered if it was a joke.

Authorities at Animal Care and Control believe that a former neighbor of Edwards' probably found the cat, decided to keep her and then moved to San Francisco.

No one has contacted Animal Care and Control claiming to be Cheyenne's owner. And because the microchip identifies Edwards as the owner, she retains legal rights to the cat, Campbell said.

The animal shelter in Florida where Edwards adopted Cheyenne was among the first in that state to microchip its animals, said shelter director Keith Pratt.

Animal Care and Control is trying to find a way to return Cheyenne, who is now 10 years old, to Edwards. The agency can't afford to ship her to Florida, so workers there have been searching for a traveler to carry her on a plane trip.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,353 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:40 PM

um... microchip???? :unsure:

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#3 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 11:28 PM

What *is* it with wacky animal stories and Hillsborough County, FL?!

If you all will recall, the teacher who stirred controversy by killing baby rabbits in front of her class taught at a high school in Plant City, FL--about 20 or 30 minutes away from Bradenton.

:wacko:

-Nick

#4 Morrhigan

Morrhigan
  • Islander
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 04:51 AM

Handmaiden07, on Apr 22 2004, 07:38 PM, said:

um... microchip???? :unsure:

HM07
Yup. More and more people are opting for microchips these days, because a lot of cats won't tolerate collars.

Here's some details from an article at About.com:

How Microchips Work

Microchips are tiny transponders, about the size of a grain of rice. They consist of a miniaturized coil and a memory circuit encased in biocompatible glass, and are small enough to fit in a hypodermic syringe. Your veterinarian or other technician implants the microchip just under the skin between the shoulder blades, and the whole procedure takes only a minute or so. The chip's memory circuit contains a unique number registered to your cat, which can be read by special scanners found in many veterinary offices and shelters.

(Link to Article: http://cats.about.co...ntify_cat_3.htm
Posted Image

#5 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 06:36 AM

I always thought they used ear tattooes as an alternative to collars. Or is that just for dogs?

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#6 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,654 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 06:58 AM

They were using ear tattooing, but microchipping is easier and more effective, because all the information is in the chip and comes up immediately when the animal is scanned.  Once chip technology became widespread, tattoooing pretty much stopped.

This story reminds me of the one last week about a cat that was the mascot of a Chinese bird cage factory who wandered into a shipping container (no doubt hoping the cages had inhabitants  ;) ) and leaped out in Los Angeles a month later, hungry and thirsty but alive.  Its going to be adopted out of the CA shelter once it fattens up and they are sure it is otherwise healthy.  

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#7 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 07:30 AM

Thanks for the link, Morrighan! :cool:  I'm glad it's some variety of glass and not yet another plastic, since we have three cats and may be looking into microchipping them some day.

I wonder if it's still safe to implant between the shoulder blades when the cat has needed to have surgery there (for a calcium buildup or something along those lines from vet shots, I think)?

Wow at cat.  At first I thought the kitty had actually moved itself the whole way, which is not entirely out of the question from what I've heard. :blink:
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#8 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 08:29 AM

wow, imagine having a pet go missing for that long, and then finding her :wow:

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#9 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 10:50 AM

Microchipping is becoming very wide spread, and I am whole heartedly for it. Tattoos can blurr over time, the chip is forever.  The Second Wind Adoption - an Equine Rescue group that is one of the best out there, is now - due to an ongoing fraud case -  microchipping all their horses.

And GO! Cheyenne.  I hope they find some one to get her home.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#10 Beldame

Beldame
  • Islander
  • 644 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 11:31 AM

It's a great idea. The Cat's Protection society chip all their re-homed cats. But don't forget to update your address on the register when you move house.
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

(Douglas Adams)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Florida, Lost cat, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users