• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 gaius claudius

gaius claudius

I'm bringing the sexy back!!

• Islander
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 10:54 AM

Pat Tillman...the former Arizona Cardinal who gave up a multi-million dollar football contract to enlist in the army after 9-11 died in Afganistan during a firefight on Thursday...

Most of the relevant detail can be found here..

http://news.yahoo.co..._usa_tillman_dc

gc :devil:
“I seek the truth...it is only persistence in self-delusion and ignorance that does harm.”
- Marcus Aurelius

King Mob 42

#2 Guldorak

Guldorak
  • Islander
  • 393 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 11:08 AM

That sucks. I admired him for the sacrifice he made at the time. He was a unique individual from all that I have read about him. The world is a lesser place for his leaving it.

#3 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:17 PM

Agreed Guldorak. My heart goes out to his family and loved ones.

I recently read some articles - interviews of special forces people in Afghanistan  -the hard, and complex job they are doing over there. They are doing so much more than 'hunting AQ/ bin Laden'.  And so much of it is untalked about, the negotaitions between rival groups - getting them to work together, the fetterting out of stockpiles of weapondry, the humanatarian aid they are giveing to people who's lives to most of us here would be unimaginably bleak and primitive.- large regions where there is no one with any medical training other than the medics attached to our units there, food, clothing, schooling...
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#4 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:25 PM

Rangers lead the way...
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#5 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 06:10 PM

My thoughts and condolences to his family.  He gave up a lot to serve his country and was truly a real patriot for that.

Ranger Creed
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#6 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 06:57 PM

Thinking of a old comment about soldiers when they die. I hope the ghost of a cavarly man heading for fiddlers green offers a ride.

#7 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 10:55 PM

To have given up wealth and security, in order to do what he felt was right, was an act of honor.

My thoughts go out to his family....and I think, as well, that this is a clear reminder to all of us that there are many others, though less well-known, who have also given up things they held dear for similar reasons.  My thoughts go out to all of them as well.

Peridot

#8 tallulah

tallulah
  • Islander
  • 574 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 10:57 PM

G1223, on Apr 23 2004, 06:55 PM, said:

Thinking of a old comment about soldiers when they die. I hope the ghost of a cavarly man heading for fiddlers green offers a ride.
First, the story of Pat Tillman really touched me, though I don't know why.  My thoughts are not only with his family, but with every family who has someone overseas or who, unfortunately, has lost someone in the wars that go on.

Second, G1223, I think your comment is really...I am grasping for the right word and not coming up with it, so here is a string: touching, poignant, beautiful.  Where did you hear this send-off?

T.
Three L's and an H.
--The Doctor

Dinner and bondage.  Works for me.
--Margaret, Dr. Who, though, really, it could be anyone

When nice girls learn to respect themselves, they'll always finish first.
--Marin, Men in Trees

#9 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 11:01 PM

An old story from the civil war era about soliders on their way to heaven having to stop along to way to rest . Except for the those in the cavalry who rode to the end of the road a place called Fiddler's Green.

#10 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 04:24 AM

Fiddlers' Green

Halfway down the trail to Hell
In a shady meadow green
Are the Souls of all dead Troopers camped
Near a good old-time canteen,
And this eternal resting place is
known as Fiddlers' Green

Marching past straight through to Hell
The Infantry are seen
Accompanied by the Engineers,
Artillery and Marines,
For none but the shades of Cavalrymen
Dismount at Fiddlers' Green

Though some go curving down the trail
To seek a warmer scene,
No Trooper ever gets to Hell
Ere he's emptied his canteen.
And so rides back to drink again
With friends at Fiddlers' Green

And so when man and horse go down
Beneath a sabre keen,
Or on roaring charge of fierce melee
You stop a bullet clean.
And the hostiles come to get your scalp
Just empty your canteen,
And put your pistol to your head
And go to Fiddlers' Green.

I found the lyrics in several places on the web, and this explaination at one of them

No one knows the exact origin of "Fiddler's Green" in the United States Army. Its concept seems to have been popular among 17th and 18th century sailors, soldiers, and masterless men of Europe, who knew that they would not qualify for Heaven, but trusted that a merciful God would agree to their credo that, "To live hard, to die hard, and to go to Hell afterwards would be hard indeed." An article in the 1925 Cavalry Journal may give some credence to its origin in the U.S. Cavalry and the fact that it may have occurred during the Indian Wars.
  "Fiddler's Green" was inspired by a story told quite sometime back by Captain "Sammy" Pearson at a campfire in the Medicine Bow Mountains of Wyoming. Having mentioned Fiddler's Green and found that no one appeared to have heard of it, Pearson indignantly asserted that every good cavalryman ought to know of Fiddler's Green, and forthwith told this story.
  "About half-way down the road to Hell there is a broad meadow dotted with trees and crossed by many streams. In this meadow, known as Fiddler's Green, is located an old Army Canteen (where liquor was sold), and near it are camped all the dead cavalrymen, with their tents, horses, picket line and campfires, around which the souls of the dead troopers gather to tell stories and exchange reminiscences. No other branch of the service may stop at Fiddler's Green, but must continue to march straight through to Hell. It is true that occasionally some trooper who has a longing, as most troopers have, for a change of station, pack his saddle, mounts his horse and continue his journey. But none of them has ever reached the gates of Hell; for, having emptied his canteen of liquor, he needs be returned to Fiddler's Green for a re-fill.

No where was I able to find an author attrituted to the lyrics, and mostly it is said to have been sung by those of the 6th and 7th Cav...

Though I did find a site...the Marines say this...

11th Marine Regiment
The Story  of Fiddler's Green

We Artillerymen are indeed a very privileged group.  In addition to the protection of our Patron Saint during life, we can look forward to our own special heaven after the sounding of TAPS.  I refer, of course, to FIDDLER’s GREEN.

Down through the ages, all purveyors of the fire, members of the ancient profession of stone hurlers, catapulters, rocketeers, and GUNNERs, better known as the Field Artillerymen....have discussed this special place in the hereafter, where someday.....each of us will be privileged to roam.  There are as many tales of the GREEN,  as there are old Artillerymen.  The stories are rich with the smell of gunpowder and campfires; and flavored with a taste of Artillery Punch.

It also seems to be the sailors paradise and may have a Irish heritage to it:

The cavalry paradise reference seems to come from an anonymous poem published in the Cavalry Journal in 1923 and associated with the 7th U.S. Cavalry from the post-Civil War era and the Indian Wars period (circa 1860-1870). Fiddler's Green is listed sometimes as a poem and other times as a cavalry prayer. Now, there is a link between the 7th U.S. Cavalry and Ireland. Many troopers of the 7th Cavalry were of Irish origin, and the 7th Cavalry's own insignia has the phrase "Garry Owen" on it. "Garry Owen" is a derivative of the Irish Gaelic Garraí Eóin which means Owen's Garden. Owen's Garden was a commons in Limerick that gave rise to a drinking ballad of the same name. The 5th Royal Irish Lances, an Irish cavalry unit, used that drinking ballad.

Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#11 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 07:27 AM

That I did not know. I knew it was a place of rst and a bit of joy.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#12 prolog

prolog

The Merry Programmer

• Islander
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 02:59 PM

Just as an aside, back in my BBS days, I used to dial up a board called the Fiddler's Green, run by a Sysop known as "The Irishman".  I wonder if his naming had anything to do with what's being discussed.

#13 tallulah

tallulah
  • Islander
  • 574 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 11:25 PM

A quick thanks to G1223 and Shal for the information.  The tale of Fiddlers' Green is one I will be passing on.

In the past few days a lot has been written and broadcast about Pat Tillman.  While he deserves every accolade that has been given him, I think his story acts as a reminder that each soldier has a story to tell, and each death should be honored.

Off my soapbox now.

T.
Three L's and an H.
--The Doctor

Dinner and bondage.  Works for me.
--Margaret, Dr. Who, though, really, it could be anyone

When nice girls learn to respect themselves, they'll always finish first.
--Marin, Men in Trees

#14 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 08:55 AM

Oh I agree completely Tallulah and mostly we don't give those who choose to serve their countries by joining the military the recognition - in a variety of ways ranging from simple respect to enough pay - they so greatly deserve.

Prolog I found numerous references to the fishermans/sailors paradice of Fiddlers Green ( it was apparently the opposite of Davey Jones Locker which is held up as a maritime version of hell )

Also there is an 18 year old Internationa Festival held in Ireland.

My mind keeps wanting to say I've heard of references to Fiddlers Green in connection to medieval folklore but I'm not bringing any detalis to mind (apart from the sailors tales of Fidlers Green )

Posted Image

#15 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 03:58 PM

Hats off for the guy. He walked away from a 3.6 million dollar contract. That's a man that means what he says, and lived it.
Can't Touch This!!

#16 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 04:47 PM

My thoughts go out to the familes of every service person who has died in Iraq.

They are all equally precious, and should all be remembered as patriots and heroes.

Edited by Rhea, 26 April 2004 - 04:48 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Pat Tillman, Afghanistan, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users