Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Disrespect the Profession but not the Person?

OT Disrespect Person v Profession

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

Poll: Does Disrespect of the Profession = Disrespect of the person practicing it? (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Does Disrespect of the Profession = Disrespect of the person practicing it?

1. Yes (11 votes [23.91%])

Percentage of vote: 23.91%

2. No (32 votes [69.57%])

Percentage of vote: 69.57%

3. Undecided (3 votes [6.52%])

Percentage of vote: 6.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 05:54 PM

Handmaiden07, on Apr 25 2004, 06:46 PM, said:

Um... I have no such opinion about the educational system.... I was speaking hypothetically about a subject I thought you could relate to... with an opinion that I could argue both sides of the coin on!
Right. But so was I.

You offered your anecdote as proof when I don't necessarily equate it as being such. At least, not specifically to the hypothetical of the education system.

Is it a Mercury retrograde or something?

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#102 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 11:04 PM

How about Quakers? Quakers are absolute pacifists. I don't believe they disrespect everyone they meet who isn't...

It depends on the Quaker, doesn't it? I know that Scott Simon of NPR apparently renounced the Peace Testimony after 9/11/01, and I can understand where he was coming from. I've described my Quaker-influenced feelings about war vs. peace plenty of times, and if this "Mercury in retrograde" has any truth to it ;) , I think I'll pass on any long essays. (Suffice it to say that, no, I don't disrespect soldiers. Check out any previous posts where I already discussed this. ;) ) Considering some of the battles flaring out around here, there does appear to be a certain lack of communication going on... :suspect:
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#103 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 01:51 AM

the'Hawk, on Apr 25 2004, 03:52 PM, said:

Is it a Mercury retrograde or something?
I believe it is, but I would have to look it up to say for sure.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#104 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 02:30 AM

Hey all,

3 points

Not all professions are created equal. Where I grew up, prostitution is just another service industry like home delivery of groceries. It has none of the nasty, sordid overtones the word carries In a country like the UK, the US or for that matter, most countries I have been to. This leaves with me with a somewhat different perspective of the profession, and I wouldn’t automatically think any _less_ of a person for being a prostitute, as opposed to a banker, or a laywer, or a priest of anything else.

I have a really hard time separating the people from the profession in a few cases. Most noteably soldiers and hard core, right wing Christians. The first because of my inherent and chosen pacifism and my rather, erm, loud views on war and the military, but at the same time I know a truly staggering amount of soldiers and others attached to the military, most of them I consider to be incredibly nice, good people.

On the other hand, I’ve yet to meet a truly hardcore right wing fundamentalist Christian who didn’t behave like a complete and utter ponce when interacting with me, because all they ever seem to want to do is convert me. The only three times I have felt actively ill at ease with a persons chosen profession has been with these people accosting me (I’d use assault, but that has specific connotations for me) in McD’s, in busses and infront of my home to ‘convert me’ in the rudest, most offensive way possible

Don’t mean I hate all Christians, or even that I think there aren’t decent hardcore right wing fundamentalist Christians out there. I just haven’t met them yet.

I find it very confusing I have to admit

Which roundly brings me to point 3. I don’t actually give a single solitary damn what a person does. Unless they bring it up, I’ll never ask someone ‘what do you do’ because what a person does is to me as irrelevant in my interaction with them as what side of the bed they sleep on, or wether they are a sunrise or sunset person.

It may be important to them, and it may even be important to them that I know what they do, but it doesn’t matter to me if one is a prostitute, a soldier, a priest, laywer, an IT helpdesk analyst, a garbage man (some of whom truly are the unsung heroes of our society as far as I’m concerned) or anything else.

Who you are, and how you treat me is so much more important than what you do, at least to me.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#105 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 08:07 AM

:)  THANK YOU!!! What an excellent post!  CH - the thing is, that's about my opinion - who a person is as a person is what matters to me first and foremost.   I'll admit to having some built in prejudices that come in when my first knowledge of you is "what you do" but if my first knowledge of you is "this is me as a person" I'm not likely to suddenly stop respecting you if I find that you do something that I don't agree with.

And... unfortunately, I now have to conclude that I really do disagree w/ Delvo's position.  I've had the misfortune of DATING a drug dealer in my younger years... I did not know that was what he was doing until we were already dating.  And while I was furious, angry, etc. at him for having deceived me and put me in a predicament I would not have chosen for myself - I in fact already knew him to be more than ***just*** a drug dealer.  He was the person I met in the first place, in my eyes, and so my subsequent interaction with him had to do with trying to convince him to stop doing the one thing that I could never respect, and continue being the person I knew him to be.  (It didn't work out, and I wound up dumping him, but that's not germaine to this example!)

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT, Disrespect, Person v Profession

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users