• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 07:12 AM

Broph, all the buses in my city are still on diesel and do belch black smoke, and while the most recent batch are spewing out the top, the older ones are not, and even the newer ones can stink up the air pretty badly for me after they've passed by.  :barf:

(Of course, my city might also be cheap in that respect.  I had no idea that some places have electric buses.  :blink: )

#62 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 08:06 AM

I don't know what city you're in, but darn that sounds bad! It's funny to see the electrics - they run where the old above-ground trolleys ran. They don't have to follow the tracks, but they do stay in reach of the suspended electric cables. I wonder if they have gas backup for being able to leave that route - I would think it would be hard to maintain the buses otherwise - I'll have to ask a friend of mine who is in transportation planning.

They hybrids are pretty cool - very low to the ground and they're the length of 2 buses. They call it the "Silver Line". No visible emissions on those.

#63 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 12:55 PM

This seems like a remarkably nitpicky topic (sorry, but that's my POV). Smokers are not being banned from the beach, they're simply being asked to confine their smoking to a specific portion of it ( and I agree that it's probably as much a function of trash cleanup as anything else).

I used to live in a beach town, and walking down a beach full of butts barefoot is not a happy experience - and I can't imagine actually sitting down or eating where people have dumped their butts.

Edited by Rhea, 29 April 2004 - 02:15 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Smoking, Health, Restrictions

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users