• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 05:24 PM

City of Heroes

Guess I couldn't stay away for good, despite myself, but let's just say that for now I've cut way way back on the visitation of the Isle, and some places here I will no longer be going into.

In any case, this is a grat game, played it in beta, playing it now.

the city (Paragon City) is HUGE, even the "newbie zone" is bigger than a lot of places i've ever seen in other games, and so far is a lot of fun.

Five different origins, five different archetypes, lots of different powers, and a costume program with millions of combinations.

This is my Technology (origin) Tanker (archetype: hand to hand heavy combatant)  S.H.A.Z.B.O.T.

will post more later.

Edited by D'Monix, 28 April 2004 - 05:25 PM.

#2 Rommie's Ronin

Rommie's Ronin

Out Of The Silent Planet

• Islander
  • 815 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 06:21 PM

Gads, I read the title as "City of Herpes" and just had to look... :D

This sounds cool, how do I get it?
"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been and never will be." ---John Wayne

http://www.smokingse...n.com/swafr.htm

#3 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 12:29 AM

Sweet! :cool:

#4 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,734 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 04:09 PM

[I just wanted to say Welcome Back, D' :hugs: :love:

Oh, it's me, LTA :hehe:

#5 Zoxesyr

Zoxesyr
  • Islander
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 09:59 PM

I know one of the guys who is writing supervillain dialog for this game.  He now gets to declare his comic book habit as a tax writeoff for business purposes!   :lol:  :cool:
www.zoxesyrbautie.com

#6 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 04:57 AM

So far, so good, lots of low level thugs, muggers, and wierdos to fight as a newbie, don't seem to have nearly as much troubles finding things going on, mobs are pretty much mobile, some congregate in groups of two to seven-eight or so.

Mobs don't chase you across the city (which I like), if you outrun them or get out of their sight for a while they 'lose' you and wander back to where they came from.  Of course some jokers still 'train' the mobs, that is going through one and ticking it off, then another, then another.  However, the system ensures that no train lasts for very long, and besides i've seen more than a few would-be trainers gunned down by the crowd of thugs they were trying to train!

Okay, when creating a character you get to choose origins and archetypes, this will have game effects later in powers available, and what sort of mission contacts and missions a hero will normally draw beyond going out the front door and mashing baddies.

Origins (I added heroes from the Marvel comics as examples):

Science: Hero gained power through scientific means, experimentation, or accident (an example would be Spider-Man.)

Mutant: Hero was born with powers due to genetic mutation (any X-Man here.)

Technology: Hero gains power through advanced technology and/or cybernetics (Iron Man)

Magic: Hero gained power through supernatural or magical means (Dr. Strange)

Natural: Hero has no inborn powers, using weapons, gear, and his own physical and/or mental training (Captain America)

Archetypes:

Blaster: Hero deals out damage from distances, very powerful offensively, but with meager defensive abilities.

Controller: Uses mental powers and mind control effects to great effect in support, not a front-line combatant by any stretch but great for controlling, scaring, or mentally subduing enemies for their team.

Defender: Capable of strong defensive actions and moderate long range attack abilitioes as well as healing and some elemental controls.  Weak in melee combat.

Scrapper: The melee equivalent to a blaster, fast & powerful melee attacks but relatively low defensive abilities.

Tanker: Heavy combat, excellent defensive and melee combat powers, but lacking any form of long range hitting ability.

My current characters:

SHAZBOT: Technology Tanker

The Scourge of Evil: Natural Blaster

Edited by D'Monix, 30 April 2004 - 04:59 AM.

#7 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 08:17 PM

The Scourge of Evil

Taken from an obscure character in the marvel comics, and given a new wardrobe ;)

Edited by D'Monix, 30 April 2004 - 08:22 PM.

#8 Zoxesyr

Zoxesyr
  • Islander
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 10:42 PM

D'Monix, on Apr 30 2004, 09:55 AM, said:

Natural: Hero has no inborn powers, using weapons, gear, and his own physical and/or mental training (Captain America)
Sorry to disappoint you d'monix, but Cap America was the product of the "Super Soldier" project, which injected him with wierd 1950's super-steroids.  He is faster, stronger and longer lasting than any normal human.

Better examples of this type would be batman or the punisher
www.zoxesyrbautie.com

#9 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 11:06 PM

Tempting... But there's no PvP type stuff right?  People only play heroes so the villians are AI?

"There are monsters, there are angels...
There's a peacefulness and a rage inside us all."
----------------------------------
Voice of the Beehive

#10 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 11:07 PM

Good point, forgot that Cap had the super soldier treatment.

#11 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 11:12 PM

Yup, Villains are all AI right now, they are thinking about letting the players make villains in the first expansion.  At least that's what is in the pipe anyway.

since i've been playing i've only been to two zones, one of the two starting zones (Galaxy City) and the next one over (King's Row.)  Both zones are massive, split into eight or nine sub-zones (neighborhoods), there are no load boundaries between these sub-zones, there is also a sewer system in each zone, and if you can fly, leap, or just go up the fire escapes there are rooftops you can hang out on.

Of course tho today I went up a fire escape to get a screenshot of the city and discovered a sizeable group of streetgangers up there making deals.  OOPS!

#12 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 11:13 PM

Chatterbox, on Apr 29 2004, 09:07 PM, said:

[I just wanted to say Welcome Back, D' :hugs: :love:

Oh, it's me, LTA :hehe:
Hye ((((LTA))))

#13 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 11:22 PM

Zoxesyr, on Apr 30 2004, 11:40 PM, said:

Sorry to disappoint you d'monix, but Cap America was the product of the "Super Soldier" project, which injected him with wierd 1950's super-steroids.  He is faster, stronger and longer lasting than any normal human.
I think I got about 18 spams for that stuff today alone... :p

Rhys
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#14 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 11:30 PM

Rhys, on May 1 2004, 04:20 AM, said:

Zoxesyr, on Apr 30 2004, 11:40 PM, said:

Sorry to disappoint you d'monix, but Cap America was the product of the "Super Soldier" project, which injected him with wierd 1950's super-steroids.  He is faster, stronger and longer lasting than any normal human.
I think I got about 18 spams for that stuff today alone... :p

Rhys
The pills that keeps Ric Flair going WHOOOOOOOOOO!

:cool:

I love the costume creator though, though Star Wars: Galaxies is the most detailed i've ever seen, this one is a lot of fun with a lot of possibilities.

I may just have to start taking screenies of funky costumes and characters.

Seen a lot of funky ideas, this one guy made his hero look like a football player and named him John Elway.  several Marvel clones, seen more than a few people looking like wolverine around.  lol.  But a lot more players like to go wild with the costume builder and give themselves their own look.

Edited by D'Monix, 30 April 2004 - 11:34 PM.

#15 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 04:15 AM

Welp, broke down and bought this.  Played it quite a bit today since Celeste has the flu.  Pretty fun.  Not sure if I'll play it long term, but I've enjoyed it so far.

Voice of the Beehive

#16 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 05:19 AM

Kewl, what are you playing?

#17 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 01:36 PM

So far I've made a Scrapper, a Controller, and a Blaster.  I've played the Blaster most (up to 8) but they're all fun.  I'm playing on Champion, which seems to be the lowest population server.

Voice of the Beehive

#18 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 02:37 PM

Hehe, shweet.  My tank just got up to level 7, i'm on Pinnacle.

An early morning creation, lol.

Tyrone, the Masta of Jive-Fu

(this is what I get for watching old Starsky & Hutch reruns after working all night.)

Edited by D'Monix, 02 May 2004 - 02:38 PM.

#19 Flechette

Flechette
  • Islander
  • 326 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 04:33 PM

Hey D' !

I've got a lvl 5 natural blaster (Cool Myst)- cold Based on the Justice server and a secondary science based -assault rifle blaster  name Flechette KE.

I'm having a blast so far too -   I'm not sure about the long term potential of the game unless they get some more stuff other than fighting going on but it's been great so far-

heh  and I'm also in the Kings Row area now too.

One Question:  have you gotten any flak about being a natural blaster?  several people have gone out of their way to talk/harass me in the ELITE office for play a Cold based "natural".

#20 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 06:50 PM

Not really, my blaster uses the Assault Rifle with Devices and Leaping as additonal powers (that Jump Kick is the bomb!)

:p

Probably people who are sticklers about roleplay, tell em you have something like cold microgenerators in your gloves or something.

I actually think it could have long term potential, there's already a lot of things in planning, and the devs are more working on story arcs and city wide events, which I really like.  I know that plans are in the works for hero groups to open secret lairs, halls of justice, etc. etc. for their members, and talk of some kind of PvP mode where players can make villains.

my main server is pinnacle (SHAZBOT, Scourge of Evil, Masta of JiveFu), though I have characters on Virtue (NightWatcher), Champion (Berzerker: the four foot norse warrior lol), and now Guardian (Nightchylde)

Edited by D'Monix, 03 May 2004 - 06:51 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users