37 replies to this topic

#1 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 07:30 AM

Lawyer Arrested for Wearing a 'Peace' T-Shirt

Tue Mar 4, 7:55 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A lawyer was arrested late Monday and charged with trespassing at a public mall in the state of New York after refusing to take off a T-shirt advocating peace that he had just purchased at the mall. 

Opinion?

I think it's crazy. He bought the shirt *at* the mall. It wasn't obscene or threatening. What a waste of taxpayer money...

'shana

#2 three eyes open

three eyes open
  • Forever Missed
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 07:56 AM

Uh, yeah. Agreed.  :eh:

Edited by three eyes open, 05 March 2003 - 07:56 AM.

"No heaven will not ever Heaven be;
Unless my cats are there to welcome
me."
--Unknown

#3 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 07:58 AM

OY VEY.  :crazy:
Posted Image

#4 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 08:00 AM

Oy!

I'd love to know what would have happened if he had been wearing "Bomb Saddam"....
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#5 Gaiate

Gaiate

Spirit Blade

• Islander
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 08:00 AM

:eek:

Yeesh.  That's seriously nuts.  :angry:

--Te
"This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is it vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished, as the once vital voice of the verisimilitude now venerates what they once vilified. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose vis--vis an introduction, and so it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V." -- V, making an first impression

"Dude . . . that was cool." -- My first impression of V

#6 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 08:04 AM

Actually, I'm waiting for the sonic boom when Lil sees this ... the boom occuring as her flying typing fingers pass the sound barrier...

'shana

#7 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 08:05 AM

I think she already did, as she posted in it. ;).

I'm hoping for a fuller response.. I wonder if this lawyer has a legal case here?
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#8 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 08:11 AM

Javert Rovinski, on Mar 4 2003, 11:02 PM, said:

I think she already did, as she posted in it. ;).

I'm hoping for a fuller response.. I wonder if this lawyer has a lecal case here?
I'm halfway across the country from her... it takes a while for that boo... never mind ... just heard it!

;)

'shana

I'd think so - wouldn't that be a free speech thing? Or if not, since it's 'private' property' ... they should arrest the person who sold the tshirt. And the Store Owner and the printer and middlemen... sheesh.

I have a feeling they picked on the wrong guy... <EWG>

'shana

#9 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

E.I.'s resident insomniac

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 08:23 AM

*reads story*

Uh.....this is a joke right?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

#10 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 08:41 AM

Not a joke. Just really weird.

'shana

#11 ultraviolet

ultraviolet

photographer, aspiring sci-fi writer, photoshop artist

• Islander
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 08:42 AM

Sorry, but the mall has no right to request a person to take off a Peace T-Shirt since it isn't offensive and they have no right to request him to leave unless he was being a disruption to many people (which it is not the case here).   Have a better one.

Be Seeing you,
David Blackwell

#12 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 10:12 AM

wonderfull

i imagine, that as a laywer, he's gonna make them pay for that.

literally  :devil:

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#13 Aurelius

Aurelius

Master of the Empire

• Islander
  • 803 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 12:09 PM

Just when you thought this world couldn't possibly get any more stupid......

Morons :wacko:

I hope he fleeces them for a hell of a lot.

Hail All
Aurelius
"If I had all the answers, I'd run for God"
Cpl. Max Klinger, M*A*S*H

#14 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 01:49 PM

AP version

More info, still craziness.

Monday's arrest came less than three months after about 20 peace activists wearing similar T-shirts were told to leave by mall security and police. There were no arrests.

Guess the mall management has a problem?

'shana

#15 Taryn Wander'r

Taryn Wander'r

scott pilgrim's precious little lover

• Islander
  • 605 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 03:06 PM

When people run in circles, it's a very very...
mad world...
(everybody!)
it's a mad world....

#16 Lina

Lina

This too shall pass

• Islander
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 03:38 PM

Shoshana, on Mar 5 2003, 01:46 PM, said:

Monday's arrest came less than three months after about 20 peace activists wearing similar T-shirts were told to leave by mall security and police. There were no arrests.

Guess the mall management has a problem?

'shana
It is so... I dunno... stupid!

Lina

Edited by Lina, 05 March 2003 - 03:39 PM.

#17 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 03:42 PM

I hope this lawyer makes them pay, and big time.  I have worked mall security..this is piss poor management by the mall and reflects so badly upon them that it is unbelievable that it went that far.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#18 gadfly

gadfly

Romantic Progressive

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 04:28 PM

Since the mall is private property I wonder if this was some policy set by the management? If so it is incredibly stupid and downright offensive if you ask me.  Would the gentleman with the "offending" T-shirt be charged with trespassing then?  Was there a sign at the mall entrance stating that such messages would be considered offensive and therefore not welcome?  It seems as if part of the information is missing here.  At least I hope so.  If not I'd like to know which stores are renting space at this mall.

#19 Tyrs Girl

Tyrs Girl

The King has returned

• Islander
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 05:59 PM

Sometimes sheer human stupidity really amazes me  :eek:

#20 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 06:17 PM

Stupid millioniar trick and foul ups. see lawyer sue mall owner see mall get sued see two smucks being fired. The Mall guys fubared this way to badly. What needs to be asked was the lawyer involved in any activity that could be seen as disruptive besides wearing the shirt.

Also if the mall has  a policy requiring patrons to be wearing a shirt. then they are in violation of their own rules and should know it. ah the joys of Mall Cops. Guys who could not cut it in a real job so they have to go around and bother folks. guess there were no skateboarders to harass. :rolleyes:

Edited by G1223, 05 March 2003 - 06:20 PM.

If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Iraq, Anti-war

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users