Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

ABC Affiliates Told Not to Air Nightline...

Media TV Nightline ABC

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 11:24 AM

Ask President Johnson how it affected the country when the same was done in Vietnam.  This was done for pyche warfare points. Do I think the Media is anti american?

Well I did not think CNN would go as far as to cooperate with Saddam and his gang  to get neat insider info. I would have expected them to quietly get their people out of the country and then broadcast the truth of what they saw and were told.  

I saw in the last war cries about the "Baby Milk Factory" which oddly had razor wire on top and signs in English that did not match up to the ones in Arabic.

So I cannot help but think that at times the Media is about as unbiased and supportive of the enemies of the US as they can be without committing a crime.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#22 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 11:34 AM

G1223, on Apr 30 2004, 11:22 AM, said:

Ask President Johnson how it affected the country when the same was done in Vietnam.  This was done for pyche warfare points. Do I think the Media is anti american?

Well I did not think CNN would go as far as to cooperate with Saddam and his gang  to get neat insider info. I would have expected them to quietly get their people out of the country and then broadcast the truth of what they saw and were told. 

I saw in the last war cries about the "Baby Milk Factory" which oddly had razor wire on top and signs in English that did not match up to the ones in Arabic.

So I cannot help but think that at times the Media is about as unbiased and supportive of the enemies of the US as they can be without committing a crime.
The media is hardly a monolithic entity. It has a responsibility to reflect a variety of opinions because there are a variety of opinions in society.

Your slam against CNN is rewriting history, btw. As became clear after the fall of Baghdad, it was not so simple as getting your journalists out of there for them or any other media with reporters there.

Even aside from the reporting something, journalists were not being allowed to leave Saddam's Iraq.  They were watched, and to get to the border from Baghdad involved not getting on a plane and flying away, but a auto caravan over miles of desert to a border that was guarded by the same folks who were trying to hold you as a hostage.

Seriously, nothing-NOTHING- in this issue of media coverage is black and white.

#23 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 11:51 AM

Not black and white but is it left or right?  Me I see the needle broken past the stopping peg on the far left but hey to some that means it's in the center.

Ro CNN did nothing I repeat NOTHING to get the families of their assisstants out of the country. It was afterr Saddam was gone they came out and said "We were pressured into saying what we did." Then they cried their crocadile tears and waited till folks forgot or forgave them. ( More likely forgot)

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#24 QuiGon John

QuiGon John

Gone

• Islander
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 12:06 PM

Hmm...

Well, since it is a thread about a TV program, I was prepared to leave it here; but you're right, perhaps OT's the better fit.

Whooshing...

#25 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 12:11 PM

National Debate has a column on this:

http://www.thenation...333071355363025
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#26 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 12:27 PM

Yeah no political reasoning behind it at all. Pay no attention to the man lying to you on the screen. Sorry the link also reminded me of Kenndy . The war being immoral yet supporting it when Johnson was there. Just like his party did.

Sorry reminds my why I voted to get a Rebuplican majority in both houses.  The Dems had a nearly forty year unbroken run of the House and Senate. ( I think the house went Republic for two year and the Senate for two as well just not at the same time.)

#27 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 12:34 PM

Here's what McCain has to say:

http://mccain.senate...Content_id=1276

I write to strongly protest your decision to instruct Sinclair’s ABC affiliates to preempt this evening’s Nightline program. I find deeply offensive Sinclair’s objection to Nightline’s intention to broadcast the names and photographs of Americans who gave their lives in service to our country in Iraq.

I supported the President’s decision to go to war in Iraq, and remain a strong supporter of that decision. But every American has a responsibility to understand fully the terrible costs of war and the extraordinary sacrifices it requires of those brave men and women who volunteer to defend the rest of us; lest we ever forget or grow insensitive to how grave a decision it is for our government to order Americans into combat. It is a solemn responsibility of elected officials to accept responsibility for our decision and its consequences, and, with those who disseminate the news, to ensure that Americans are fully informed of those consequences.

There is no valid reason for Sinclair to shirk its responsibility in what I assume is a very misguided attempt to prevent your viewers from completely appreciating the extraordinary sacrifices made on their behalf by Americans serving in Iraq. War is an awful, but sometimes necessary business. Your decision to deny your viewers an opportunity to be reminded of war’s terrible costs, in all their heartbreaking detail, is a gross disservice to the public, and to the men and women of the United States Armed Forces. It is, in short, sir, unpatriotic. I hope it meets with the public opprobrium it most certainly deserves.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#28 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 12:39 PM

There is suppose to be proof of this being non political? Where?

TANSTAAFL

#29 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 12:56 PM

G1223, on Apr 30 2004, 11:49 AM, said:

Ro CNN did nothing I repeat NOTHING to get the families of their assisstants out of the country. It was afterr Saddam was gone they came out and said "We were pressured into saying what we did." Then they cried their crocadile tears and waited till folks forgot or forgave them. ( More likely forgot)
What would you have done, G? In the same situation with hostilities about to break out and a gov't that was holding you, your assts, and your families hostage for good behavior?

In an article published in Friday's editions of The New York Times, Jordan outlined incidents in which Iraqi officials had intimidated, tortured and killed people who had worked for CNN or helped the network with its coverage in Iraq. Those incidents have never before been revealed because they could have put people in jeopardy, Jordan said.

In the mid-1990s, a Iraqi cameraman working for CNN was abducted, held for weeks and subjected to electroshock torture in a secret police headquarters when he refused to confirm that Jordan was the CIA station chief in Iraq, Jordan said.

Also, a Kuwaiti woman, Asrar Qabandi, who had talked to CNN by telephone during Iraq's occupation of her country in 1990, was captured by Iraqi secret police. On the eve of the U.S.-led campaign, she was killed, her body torn limb from limb and the body parts left on the doorstep of her family's home, Jordan said.

Are you saying that they are lying about these facts? If so, there's not much more to say, because you assume that there is no possibility that coercion was being applied by a government we are saying we fought because they coerced their people.  If not, then what, in CNNs place, knowing that anyone who talked to you or helped you could be a target and YOU COULDN'T PROTECT THEM even if you could get your journalists out of the country (which was not the case after a certain point) what would you have done differently?

Just not reported anything from Iraq at all?  I think that's the only way you could be sure of not getting accused of being a propaganda tool. But how would that have helped the people you left behind. Because your local staff probably wouldn't be allowed to leave.

Ro

#30 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 01:01 PM

G1223, on Apr 30 2004, 12:37 PM, said:

There is suppose to be proof of this being non political? Where?
My quoted statements above are what the Nightline staff are saying is the basis of their decision to broadcast.

The assumption that naming the names and showing photographs of the fallen soldiers are fueled by a political agenda-remember, we're talking about nothing editorial beyond the decision to actually do the broadcast- is in itself a political bias.

What proof would you find acceptable in the face of that bias?

Ro

#31 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 01:04 PM

arrange a meeting and dinner for the assassiantts and reporters. and then load the trucks full of people and a small amount of evidence and break onto the grounds of a Neutral country's Embassy and ask for political protection.  Make sure to bring a camera along,and be broadcasting.

TANSTAAFL

#32 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 01:21 PM

That would be a pipe dream of safety in the middle of Iraq. Which embassy would you choose? What makes you think they'd let you in?

You'd have to get all your people out of Iraq to be relatively safe from retribution, and any family members left behind would probably face harsh retribution-torture and/or death.

Flying out is out of the question.

Map of Iraq from CIA.gov

Iran's the closest border, but it's still a far piece to safety and I doubt there were many choices of route and not a certainty you'd be allowed into the country-particularly Iraqi's  with you might not be allowed in.  

Syria might also be fairly iffy based on the news reports I saw last year during the early days of the war.

Jordan and Saudi Arabia more likely, but that's a lot of desert to cross. Anything could happen in the middle of the few available routes.  And no one would ever know what happened to you in the outside world.

So, what's your next choice?

Ro

#33 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 01:25 PM

Oh, and I forgot to mention the official gov't minders you'd constantly have with you outside the hotel.

Would you take them with you? They were spying on you for the information ministry. Could you trust them not to betray you?   Tie them up?  How long before they would raise the alarm and you'd have hostile pursuit? Would you kill them before you headed for the border?

#34 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 02:17 PM

Settle down, G1223. One network's problems in Iraq a couple of years ago proves nothing about another's dubious but possibly innocent motivations to do something entirely different in the present.

#35 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 05:02 PM

Sinclair's response to the comments:

While I don't disagree that Americans need to understand the costs of war and sacrifices of our military volunteers, I firmly believe that responsible journalism requires that a discussion of these costs must necessarily be accompanied by a description of the benefits of military action and the events that precipitated that action," he writes.

He adds: "It is 'Nightline's' failure to present the entire story, however, to which Sinclair objects. 'Nightline' is not reporting news; it is doing nothing more than making a political statement. In simply reading the names of our fallen heroes, this program has adopted a strategy employed by numerous anti-war demonstrators who wish to focus attention solely on the cost of war."

Smith criticizes "Nightline" host Ted Koppel for failing to address the Sinclair Group's complaints, referring to Koppel's refusal to take part in the Group's alternative programming for Friday night. According to The Washington Post, ABC News explained to Sinclair that it would rather not have Koppel airing against Koppel.

taken from www.zap2it.com
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#36 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 05:08 PM

Ah, those paragons of moral values, Sinclair Media.

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (Pennsylvania)

August 17, 1996, Saturday, SOONER EDITION

David D. Smith, president and chief executive officer of Sinclair Broadcast Group, was arrested this week in his hometown of Baltimore and charged with a misdemeanor sex offense. Sinclair owns WPGH, the Fox affiliate in Pittsburgh, and programs most of WPTT.

The Baltimore Sun reported that Smith, 45, was arrested Tuesday night in an undercover sting at a downtown corner frequented by prostitutes.

On Thursday night, Sinclair issued a statement that Smith's arrest was unrelated to company business and ''The company will continue to operate under the direction of its current management.''

"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#37 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 05:11 PM

I think I missed a connection somewhere...

#38 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 05:13 PM

I’ll list this one in the dubious column until I see the actual program.  Frankly under the right spin a roll call of all the lost troops could be a highly politicized move to bash at the administration.  I’ll have to wait for the actual program before I pass my own judgment on it.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#39 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 05:21 PM

So is the person in Zack's article even still with the Sinclair media group? If he isn't then I don't even see any relation at all to what has been discussed so far in this thread. As it is a statement of moral outrage against an act committed 8 years ago that doesn't say anything about political beliefs at all and only serves to smear the group based upon the actions of one person that I'm not even sure is still with the group isn't that helpful.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#40 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 05:38 PM

^ He is.  He's the head of the company still.
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Media, TV, Nightline, ABC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users