Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

ABC Affiliates Told Not to Air Nightline...

Media TV Nightline ABC

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 07:47 PM

You know what's *really* ironical?  See, the initial broadcast may have been partially motivated by some desire to grab ratings (and hello, this is new exactly *how*?) but the really poetical thing is that, by requesting that the stations not air it out of alleged concern that it's politically motivated, the owner has in fact turned it into a political thing.  It would be HI Larious if the issue weren't honoring the fallen.  

Or, as Delvo might say:  GEWD GAWD don't these people have anything better to bicker about?  

Oh and can I also express my utmost disbelief that NOW, on THIS subject of all things, some high falutin' media type is suddenly worried about politicizing news?  Unfreaking believable.

Edited by Una Salus Lillius, 30 April 2004 - 07:48 PM.

Posted Image

#42 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 08:04 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on May 1 2004, 12:45 AM, said:

Oh and can I also express my utmost disbelief that NOW, on THIS subject of all things, some high falutin' media type is suddenly worried about politicizing news?  Unfreaking believable.
Sinclair has a long history of being a shill for the Administration.  From the Center for American Progress website:

While Sinclair claims it is pre-empting Nightline because it is an attempt to "influence public opinion" the record shows that Sinclair media has repeatedly leveraged its control over the airwaves to manipulate public opinion in favor of the President Bush's right-wing agenda.

SINCLAIR REQUIRES JOURNALISTS TO READ PRO-BUSH STATEMENTS: In September 2001, Sinclair Broadcasting required its affiliates to airmessages "conveying full support" for the Bush Administration. At a Baltimore affiliate, WBFF "officials  equired news and sports anchors, even a weather forecaster, to read the messages" which included statements such as "[the station] wants you to know that we stand 100% behind our President." Several WBFF staffers objected on the grounds that reading the statements would "erode their reputations as objective journalists" because it made them appear to be "endorsing specific government actions."

SINCLAIR REFUSES TO AIR AD HIGHLIGHTING 2003 BUSH ERROR: In July 2003, Sinclair broadcasting refused to allow WMSN TV – its FOX affiliate in Madison, WI – to air a DNC advertisement that featured a clip of President Bush making the false claim "Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from
Africa" in his 2003 State of the Union Address. Three other Madison stations, including ABC, NBC and CBS, readily agreed to air the ad. The Madison CBS affiliate, WISC, said the advertisement was "no worse than any other political ad."

SINCLAIR PRODUCES CENTRALIZED RIGHT-WING CONTENT FOR 'LOCAL STATIONS': In a controversial business practice, Sinclair broadcasting has fired much of the staff for the local affiliates it owns and produces content for its local stations from a central facility outside Baltimore and airs it on "local" newsbraodcasts. The centralized content features nightly commentary by Sinclair corporate communications chief Mark Hyman. Hyman regularly refers to the French as "cheese-eating surrender monkeys," the so-called liberal media as "hate-American crowd," and progressives as "the lonely left" On one recent commentary, Hyman called members of Congress who voted against a recent resolution affirming the righteousness of the Iraq war "unpatriotic politicians who hate our military." You can see all of Hyman's commentary's this month HERE.
(Read more from American Progress about the problems of media consolidation.)

SINCLAIR AIRS FAKE NEWS BROADCASTS PRODUCED BY BUSH ADMINISTRATION: In March, it was discovered that the Bush Administration was producing "television news stories, written and paid for by the government, which have the appearance of legitimate news segments delivered by independent reporters" and distributed them to local newscasts as a way of promoting Administration policies – including their ill-conceived Medicare prescription drug law. On the broadcasts, a public relations professional named Karen Ryan pretended to be a reporter. Among the stations who aired the Administration propaganda as news: WPGH in Pittsburgh "the Sinclair Broadcasting station that fired much of its news staff in favor of feeds from a centralized newsroom in Baltimore."

SINCLAIR EXECUTIVES MAJOR BUSH CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTORS: Sinclair executives have contributed more than $16,500 to President Bush since 2000. This year, Sinclair CEO David Smith gave President Bush the maximum $2000 contribution. Before soft money contributions became i legal, Sinclair Broadcasting gave more than $130,000 to the President's political allies but  no money to his political opponents.

Sinclair makes Fox News look like the Revolutionary Worker, Pacifica Radio, and the Village Voice all put together.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#43 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 08:17 PM

Thanks Zack.
Posted Image

#44 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 08:17 PM

Any source that calls Bush "right-wing" immediately tosses away its credibility.

PS: And yet, I bothered to give that site a shot and go there anyway... what a mistake. I'd forgotten what lakes of partisan spew are treated as authoritative by some now. Gewd gawd.

Edited by Delvo, 30 April 2004 - 08:22 PM.

#45 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 08:25 PM

How anyone can doubt that a president who supports amending the constitution to put anti gay bias in it is right wing is beyond me.  But whatever.  ;)
Posted Image

#46 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 08:31 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Apr 30 2004, 06:45 PM, said:

the initial broadcast may have been partially motivated by some desire to grab ratings (and hello, this is new exactly *how*?)
It's not. But that's not the real complaint. The compaint wasn't that it was businesspeople doing business; it was that it was partisans trying to repeat the 1969 Time issue that aided anti-war movement of the time by portraying the war in a certain light (the same light in which the press has been portraying this one all along, but more powerfully and dramaticly). But even that's not a complaint that the right's agreed to complain about. Rush sees it that way, but Hannity sees no problem, and O'Reilly didn't really state a side in the only spot where I've seen him address it.

by requesting that the stations not air it out of alleged concern that it's politically motivated, the owner has in fact turned it into a political thing.
Mistake, or plan with more than one step involved? :devil:

#47 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 08:34 PM

Wiat wait...Delvo are you saying Bush isn't right wing?

Because I'm positive he doesnt' lean to the left or center right now.
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#48 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 08:53 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Apr 30 2004, 07:23 PM, said:

How anyone can doubt that a president who supports amending the constitution to put anti gay bias in it is right wing is beyond me.  But whatever.  ;)
Some I'm for, and some I'm against, but definitely not things normally associated with the right...

1. Making such a big whopping deal out of a medium-small and temporary tax cut that it's actually an obstacle now to any REAL future tax cuts
2. Amnesty for criminal immigrants
3. More rapid government spending increase than Clinton
4. Special case of #3 on education, bloated on a greater scale than the rest after a rubberstamping of a bill written by Kennedy (promised before TK had even written it or said how big he'd make it)
5. Steel tarrif hike at the whim of the union
6&7. More AIDS spending*, especially in undeveloped countries* (a disease already funded more than is medically merited because the left adopted it)
8. Campaign finance reform

I know I had at least 4 others but I've forgotten them since Spetember Eleventh; up to that point he had been governing almost 100% as a Democrat, running right down their list of agenda items one by one, outside of a tax cut that really wasn't such a big deal. Ya, he's also developed some righty stances since then and a couple of those can even legitimately be called extreme, but if you stack them up against the rest of his entire record as President, he hardly balances out on the right at all. Since conservative voters were annoyed by that like they were when his father got fired for it and liberal voters would never forgive him for the "R" after his name just like they didn't with his father, he was assuring his own non-re-election. He'd have no chance of avoiding being blown away by the Democrat this year if the Democrat party hadn't gone psycho and given non-liberals literally no choice but to dig hard into the trenches against the seige.

#49 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 08:58 PM

Chipper, on Apr 30 2004, 07:32 PM, said:

Wiat wait...Delvo are you saying Bush isn't right wing?

Because I'm positive he doesnt' lean to the left or center right now.
On balance, he's such a mixed bag that he could seriously be considered to be right of center, but not far from it, and the case for that isn't even much stronger than the case that he's slightly left of center. But "just barely on the right" isn't what lefties mean when they call somebody "right wing". That phrase is for raving extremists. And in their effort to depict him as such, they make a point of making sure that the main (in fact, practically the only) political issues that get talked about anymore are the ones on which he is a righty, and the issues on which he's one of them have to be buried like they don't exist.

#50 Dr Tim

Dr Tim

yes

• Islander
  • 520 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 09:42 PM

RommieSG, on Apr 29 2004, 01:51 PM, said:

This is beyond belief. Something honoring the fallen soldiers is a political........
everything in America is political
http://bickenland.lo...hpBB2/index.php

Dr.Tim, Offical Poster in Welcome & Happy Birthday threads

#51 cylkoth

cylkoth

I'm a non attorney spokesperson

• Islander
  • 6,593 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 09:58 PM

But wait, there's more....

Sinclair, a Baltimore-based media company whose local stations reach 24 percent of American households, accused Nightline Thursday of being “motivated by a political agenda designed to undermine the efforts of the United States in Iraq.”

Senator John McCain issued a press release Friday morning accusing Sinclair of being “unpatriotic” and called the move to preempt Nightline “a gross disservice to the public.”

At ABC’s Washington bureau, spokesmen were calling Sinclair’s actions “censorship.”

Viewers from areas served by Sinclair’s stations called ABC to see how they could see Nightline. Most of the calls came from St. Louis, the largest of seven cities with ABC affiliates affected by the Sinclair blackout.

In New York, ABC executives worked the phones all day to make Nightline available in St. Louis; Charleston, West Virginia; Columbus, Ohio; Pensacola, Florida; Springfield, Massachusetts; and Asheville and Winston-Salem in North Carolina.

Sinclair spokesman and commentator Mark Hyman accused Koppel of attempting to “disguise political speech as news content” in an interview published Friday by the Baltimore Sun. He added, “There is no journalistic value here.”

Look through the smoke of this week’s skirmish and you could see deeper conflicts about the politics, money, and news.

Sinclair is unabashedly conservative. It owns 62 TV stations in 39 markets, most of them small and medium-size towns.

“Fox News eschewed politically correct news to become the dominant force on cable news,” wrote Wes Vernon in an article on the conservative NewsMax.com. “And now the Sinclair Broadcast Group has been following in Fox’s footsteps to do the same for broadcast news in news markets across the nation.”

Most local TV stations air local news produced and broadcast in their hometowns. Sinclair has broken new ground by establishing a “News Central” that simulates local news from a location in suburban Baltimore; it allows Sinclair to give widespread distribution to conservative commentary by Mark Hyman.

Sinclair CEO David Smith is a supporter of the Republican Party and President George W. Bush. He and his employees have contributed generously to the GOP, according to studies by the Center for Responsive Politics.

In 1999, he contributed $1,000 to John McCain.

In the 2000 election cycle, 98 percent of the $174,496 given to political campaigns by Sinclair employees went to Republicans. This election season the ratio is the same.

Sinclair’s help for Republican candidates is not unusual among companies that own TV and radio stations. Of the ten top broadcast contributors listed by the Center for Responsive Politics, eight gave more to the GOP than to Democrats.

In this election cycle, Clear Channel Communications employees have given $345,041, mostly through political action committees. About 75 percent went to the GOP.

On the other hand, most print-media companies give more heavily to Democrats, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

---snip----

The difference with Sinclair is that it makes few pretensions about its political center of gravity. Sinclair could be putting itself in the position of competing with Fox for the conservative audience. It is working to build “News Central” into a centralized national and international news operation.

It's that the pot calling the kettle black?  :eek4:  :crazy:

ABC Makes End Run Around Conservative Blackout of Nightline
------------------------------------------------------
Am I Blue?
Am I Blue...
Ain't these tears, in my eyes, telling you?

#52 Dr Tim

Dr Tim

yes

• Islander
  • 520 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 10:06 PM

"Sinclair spokesman and commentator Mark Hyman accused Koppel of attempting to “disguise political speech as news content” in an interview published Friday by the Baltimore Sun. He added, “There is no journalistic value here.”

all news is Political, is this guy an idiout ?
http://bickenland.lo...hpBB2/index.php

Dr.Tim, Offical Poster in Welcome & Happy Birthday threads

#53 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 10:40 PM

Delvo, on Apr 30 2004, 06:51 PM, said:

Up to that point he had been governing almost 100% as a Democrat, running right down their list of agenda items one by one, outside of a tax cut that really wasn't such a big deal.
Yeah, Bush has been trying triangulation since day one. Sadly, he's really bad at it.

Most conservatives I know give Clinton SOME credit for welfare reform, and other centrist moves he made for electoral purposes. Conversely, Bush doesn't seem to gain any centrist ground regardless of how many traditionally lefty causes he adopts... and it causes conservatives to cool to him rather quickly. I mean, really, who gives Bush any credit for prescription drug benefits?

I think Bush's advisers give him really bad political advice. I also think that whichever campaign triumphs in November will be a victor primarily because it's slightly less incredibly defective than it's counterparty.

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 30 April 2004 - 10:41 PM.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#54 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 10:56 PM

Did he do any jailtime or pay a fine for soliciting then?He probably didn't do very much for a misdemenenor. I still don't see what that act had to do with any of this.
Has he claimed to be a moral paragon? Because I'd never even heard of him or this group until this thread so I don't have the information to make any judgements at all.
But on the issue at hand, if he's been slanting the news then that's bad but I don't know what to do about it other than vote with your pocketbook and not watch his tv stations.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#55 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 11:02 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Apr 30 2004, 09:38 PM, said:

Yeah, Bush has been trying triangulation since day one. Sadly, he's really bad at it.
It's not a matter of how good they are. The left just doesn't accept leftism from non-lefties as much as the right accepts rightism from non-righties.

#56 Rommie's Ronin

Rommie's Ronin

Out Of The Silent Planet

• Islander
  • 815 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 11:09 PM

I'm watching it right now.
"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been and never will be." ---John Wayne

http://www.smokingse...n.com/swafr.htm

#57 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 11:12 PM

Good to know where the Hearst Mantle of Yellow Journalism has landed.

#58 Rommie's Ronin

Rommie's Ronin

Out Of The Silent Planet

• Islander
  • 815 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 11:45 PM

Damn, Koppel lowered the boom on Sinclair without even calling names.  

Basically, as the roll call ended, he took a minute to explain that he was not opposed to the war, but was instead opposed to being told he could not criticize how war was being waged.
"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been and never will be." ---John Wayne

http://www.smokingse...n.com/swafr.htm

#59 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 12:00 AM

So Glad I did not watch it. I feel that it is an attempt to play head games with the population. It was done by both sides and I really give upon watching them. I find that the major newspapers are tied into both political parties.

Example the heavy handedness with which the Indianapolis News supports Republican canidaters and issues and  NY and LA Times were playing politics in the CA recall election.The timing of stories to play in favor  of Davis and his LT.Gov.

So it leavesme wondering was this done for gain or for respect. Days I wish I could say for certain which it was. But after being tricked too often I will take the guarded reaction and say I feel we were played by ABC
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#60 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 05:53 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Apr 30 2004, 07:38 PM, said:

Delvo, on Apr 30 2004, 06:51 PM, said:

Up to that point he had been governing almost 100% as a Democrat, running right down their list of agenda items one by one, outside of a tax cut that really wasn't such a big deal.

Most conservatives I know give Clinton SOME credit for welfare reform, and other centrist moves he made for electoral purposes. Conversely, Bush doesn't seem to gain any centrist ground regardless of how many traditionally lefty causes he adopts... and it causes conservatives to cool to him rather quickly. I mean, really, who gives Bush any credit for prescription drug benefits?

I think Bush's advisers give him really bad political advice. I also think that whichever campaign triumphs in November will be a victor primarily because it's slightly less incredibly defective than it's counterparty.
Are you talking about Medicare? It's hard to give him any kudoes for a plan that's badly thought out, won't give seniors nearly as much help as they need, and is going to cost about a third more than Bush estimated.  :wacko:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Media, TV, Nightline, ABC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users