3D model of Andromeda Ascendant (low detail)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Walter

Walter
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 05:31 PM

WALTER'S 3D MODEL OF ANDROMEDA ASCENDANT (LOW DETAIL)

It looks that my 3D model of Andromeda got your attention, so I made new topic about her. Because hull of Andromeda Ascendant has very complicated surface, I decided to create her only as low detailed model for use in background. Hull itself is not simplified in any way, but I didn't model any bumps, etc. on it. This fact can be partially compensated with bump maps, but I didn't use them, because they are also not needed for model viewed from big distance. As reference pictures for modelling I used views of Andromeda which can be found at official site www.andromedatv.com. If anyone wants additional informations, feel free to ask. Below is a picture of my Andromeda viewed from various angles and a link to short video of Andromeda flying by.

File was deleted - www.deep-space-5.org/~sciworld/AA_flyby_02c.avi - Andromeda Ascendant flying by (276kB DivX 5.1 video)

File was deleted - www.deep-space-5.org/~sciworld/AA_DEMO_01.jpg

Edited by Walter, 25 March 2005 - 05:11 PM.

#2 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

I regret I have but one life to waste infront of videogames.

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 05:48 PM

hey, thats really cool! and it reminds me of a question i never asked....where is the bridge on Andromeda? is it that bit where all the wing bits join up at the top? or is it in the main body of the ship?
Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits, and Are melted into air, into thin air; And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind.

Posted Image

#3 Munrock

Munrock

As for the monkey there is a wood

• Islander
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 11:27 AM

hawkeye, on May 6 2004, 10:46 PM, said:

hey, thats really cool! and it reminds me of a question i never asked....where is the bridge on Andromeda? is it that bit where all the wing bits join up at the top? or is it in the main body of the ship?
The bridge is right down in the core of the main hull where it's safest.  The bit where the wings join at the top is the obs deck I think.
Lies: the real WMDs

"When minds have fed on falsehood for generations, these falsehoods constitute a prison from which it is difficult and painful to break out."
-Renato Constantino

#4 VFXmike

VFXmike
  • Demigod
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 11:55 AM

Nice model!  The Andromeda is a pretty funky shape, you managed to capture it pretty well.  Nice job.

#5 D.Lerious

D.Lerious

Queen of the Potato people

• Islander
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 01:25 PM

VFXmike, on May 7 2004, 09:53 AM, said:

Nice model!  The Andromeda is a pretty funky shape, you managed to capture it pretty well.  Nice job.
I agree! :wideeyed:

#6 Lina

Lina

This too shall pass

• Islander
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 01:34 PM

Cool pictures! :) Rommie's ship-self looks very superior and she is quiet a beauty.

Lina

#7 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 03:16 PM

Extremely well done Walter. How did you do it?
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#8 Zoxesyr

Zoxesyr
  • Islander
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 09:30 PM

You don't need a bump map, unless you want to do closeups.  You need a specularity and diffuse map to reproduce the semi-organic aztecking on the surface of the ship.  the rendering style for most of the ship is a modified metal generator.  The edges that glow on the arms (where it is red right now) could be done either as an alpha channel or as a separate luminous material.

I think you may also need a luminosity map to put in the widows.  However that won't work for closeups at all.

I think I still have my Ballance of Judgement mesh, which is a relatively low poly model.  Would you be willing to trade?  It isn't perfect, but I never got a very good set of pics to use.
www.zoxesyrbautie.com

#9 Ilphi

Ilphi
  • Islander
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 01:38 PM

You've captued the shape well, congrats :)

Got any plans for a clip of her in a battle or somesuch?
Yea, ere my hot youth pass, I speak to my people and say:
Ye shall be foolish as I; ye shall scatter, not save;
Ye shall venture your all, lest ye lose what is more than all;
Ye shall call for a miracle, taking Christ at His word.
And for this I will answer, O people, answer here and hereafter,
The Fool - Padraic Pearse

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users