12 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 07:34 PM

http://story.news.ya.../invasive_frogs

California biologists are alarmed over the latest invasive species to take up residence in this city: African clawed frogs, which eat just about anything and tend to breed like crazy.

Even worse, they're kind of cute and thus more likely to be whisked away by children and dumped into other ponds, where they spread even more.

"They are a threat," said Dr. David Wake, an emeritus professor of integrative biology at the University of California-Berkeley. "They change the environment quite profoundly."

Native to Kenya, the frogs are able to live under ice, in the ground and in salty water. They alter ecosystems by gobbling up insects, fish, lizards and even birds that fit into their large, tongueless mouths. They also burrow into the ground to survive dry conditions and prey on the state's endangered red-legged frog.

The African frogs, outlawed as pets in California several years ago, are used in medical and biological research. Some theorize that researchers might have released the animals into Golden Gate Park's Lily Pond and parts of Southern California to save the frogs from destruction.

Pet stores and collectors wary of being slapped with fines of up to $1,000 also might have released them into local creeks and ponds.

Eric Mills of Oakland-based Action for Animals, which has lobbied the state to fight the spread of invasive species, said the only way to prevent the frogs from spreading is to kill the population in Lily Pond.

"They spent millions of dollars a few years ago in San Diego trying to get rid of these frogs," Mills said. "If they get loose in the San Francisco delta, it will be devastating to get them out."

:eek2:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 09:15 PM

But I thought Animals had more rights than human beings in California?Imean PETA is not out doing the releases for traps set by the state. Why not? Would it interfer with their getting a double Latte on the way to burn down a KFC

Ok joke aside. I hope they can get this done easy enough to avoid damging the local food chain by taking out other animals that hold the spot these frogs are competeing with.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#3 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 05:13 PM

^We're a little less tolerant of non-native species - they can totally wreck an ecosystem.  :wacko:

I live in the Bay area, and I have yet to see one.

LOL @ the "cute frogs" in the title. I have visions of frogs with French manicures and highlights wagging their little tushies at biologists. :p~

Edited by Rhea, 10 May 2004 - 05:15 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#4 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 05:50 PM

African Clawed Frogs.  Today's version of a tribble only less furry...;)
Posted Image

#5 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 07:32 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on May 10 2004, 03:48 PM, said:

I wonder if they taste like chicken, too! :D

#6 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 07:53 PM

The frogs or the Tribbles (though I imagine you would want to remove all that fuzzy stuff first)  ;)
Posted Image

#7 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 08:00 PM

If you remove all the fuzzy stuff, there isn't much left. Don't know about the frogs. :tribble:

*inspiration strikes*

Hey, I know how they can stop the frog invasion! All the biologists have to do is start a rumor that the frogs sweat a mind altering drug from their skin, like cane toads. Then thousands of teenagers will steal the frogs, taking them home to be licked to death, and none will be left to breed in the wild. It's a perfect plan! :ninja:
Per aspera ad astra

#8 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 08:18 PM

Rhea, on May 10 2004, 06:11 PM, said:

LOL @ the "cute frogs" in the title. I have visions of frogs with French manicures and highlights wagging their little tushies at biologists. :p~
LOL!! I guess I could have said, Kermit and his friends are attacking. :lol:  :lol:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#9 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 08:18 PM

Just eat the damn things.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#10 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 08:19 PM

There's really only one way to respond:

:p~:p~:p~:p~
Posted Image

#11 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 08:20 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on May 10 2004, 06:48 PM, said:

Yeah, I'm still waiting to hear, about The Great Frog Hunt Of 2004. :lol:  :lol:

#12 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,740 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 07:05 AM

HubcapDave, on May 10 2004, 07:30 PM, said:

Una Salus Lillius, on May 10 2004, 03:48 PM, said:

African Clawed Frogs.  Today's version of a tribble only less furry...;)
I wonder if they taste like chicken, too! :D
Well, regular frog legs do, I don't see where African ones would be any different. If they're big enough to eat small birds then they should have plenty of meat on their legs. :D

It's right about invasive species, they can totally wreck an ecosystem, all kidding aside.

#13 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 11:23 AM

Chatterbox, on May 11 2004, 07:03 AM, said:

It's right about invasive species, they can totally wreck an ecosystem, all kidding aside.
If you ever want to read up on how introduced species can destroy an ecosystem, just look at Hawaii's history. :Oo:

Or even the aforementioned cane toads:  they're toxic to pretty much everything native to Australia (except taipans) and have caused a LOT of damage to native wildlife there.
Proud ally and supporter of Euro-snobs and international flakes.

Signs your coworker may be able to manipulate time:  "Is this the first time you've called here before?"

Signs your coworker needs to work on their vocabularly:  A:  "It opens up in Notepad and it's just jibberish."  B:  "So you can't understand it?"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: California, San Francisco, African Frogs, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users