Prisons Crime Punishment US

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Shaun

Shaun
  • Islander
  • 788 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 10:27 PM

Mistreatment of Prisoners Is Called Routine in U.S.
By FOX BUTTERFIELD

Published: May 8, 2004
Physical and sexual abuse of prisoners, similar to what has been
uncovered in Iraq, takes place in American prisons with little public
knowledge or concern, according to corrections officials, inmates and
human rights advocates.

In Pennsylvania and some other states, inmates are routinely stripped
in front of other inmates before being moved to a new prison or a new
unit within their prison. In Arizona, male inmates at the Maricopa
County jail in Phoenix are made to wear women's pink underwear as a
form of humiliation.

At Virginia's Wallens Ridge maximum security prison, new inmates have
reported being forced to wear black hoods, in theory to keep them
from spitting on guards, and said they were often beaten and cursed
at by guards and made to crawl.

http://www.nytimes.c.../08PRIS.html?hp

:o
Shaun
Veni, vidi, vici

#2 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 11:20 PM

Hmm... These actions are just as wrong, hopefully they will stop, soon.
The second greatest podcast in the history of ever:
http://geeksonaplain.blogspot.com/

#3 Lord Ravensburg

Lord Ravensburg

All your lightsabers are belong to me

• Islander
  • 533 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 11:29 PM

Unlikely.  Let's face it- for the most part, the public doesn't really seem to care what happens to criminals once they are in prison.  And I'm sure that most of us aren't strangers to the concept that the particularly vile ones will "get what they deserve" once there.

#4 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 11:37 PM

First of all I do not condone those actions in either venue.  The difference however is that American PRISONS are populated by CONVICTED CRIMINALS.  Many of the people in Iraq were "detainees".  Certainly not convicted of any wrongdoing.  I don't appreciate the continued attempts to excuse the atrocities that are at issue here  (Not you LR but people who write articles like this in an attempt to obfuscate the real issue).

Edited by Una Salus Lillius, 09 May 2004 - 11:40 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Lord Ravensburg

Lord Ravensburg

All your lightsabers are belong to me

• Islander
  • 533 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 11:41 PM

Who are you addressing?

#6 Rommie's Ronin

Rommie's Ronin

Out Of The Silent Planet

• Islander
  • 815 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 11:43 PM

Lil's right...two almost totally seperate issues.

I don't want to see anyone treated like crap, but I have little sympathy for convicted criminals...especially those convicted of violent crimes like rape or murder.

The detainees, regardless of what you think of Arabs, enjoy certain rights under the UN Charter.  Our soldiers who have committed these atrocities are in fact war criminals.  They'll never see a UN courtroom though they WILL see a US Army court martial.
"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been and never will be." ---John Wayne

http://www.smokingse...n.com/swafr.htm

#7 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 11:47 PM

Lord Ravensburg, on May 9 2004, 09:39 PM, said:

Who are you addressing?
The author of the article.  Yet another "well it happens elsewhere so it must be okay" kind of excuse.  Disgusting.  Again LR, *not* you.
Posted Image

#8 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 11:48 PM

In Arizona, male inmates at the Maricopa
form of humiliation.

I'm familar with the program. The inmates are also housed in surplus army tents. And work on chain-gangs, literally. It's a great program, and is sometimes used to try and 'scare straight' troubled teens. It has nothing to do with the abuse of prisoners in Iraq, and trying to compare the two is completely disproportionate.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#9 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 12:05 AM

^Doesn't Sheriff Joe also pay his prisoners a nickel a day, that they have to use to buy their meals? (IIRC, a standard meal is a baloney and cheese sandwich)
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#10 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 01:06 AM

In Arizona, male inmates at the Maricopa
form of humiliation. 

The chain gang part you mentioned seems alright to me, but the underwear thing strikes me as wrong...
The second greatest podcast in the history of ever:
http://geeksonaplain.blogspot.com/

#11 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 07:43 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on May 9 2004, 11:35 PM, said:

Many of the people in Iraq were "detainees".  Certainly not convicted of any wrongdoing.
Actually, you're wrong. According to the taguba report, the "detainees" are Iraqi prisoners, namely accused of Iraqi on Iraqi crimes.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#12 Gvambat

Gvambat
  • Islander
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:16 AM

Last time I checked, there was still supposed to be a difference between accusations and conviction, not to mention the fact that some of the people were detained for the flimsiest of reasons...
Electrons behave like waves on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays; like particles on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, and like nothing at all on Sundays.

#13 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:54 AM

Yeah damm us americans .  America should have the prison system of say China or better yet Russia. with Labor camps in Montana to keep snow cowered passes clear evn in the raging snow storms of Winter. I think ater the first 30 prisoners die of exposure a demand to go back to what we have would be the end resualt.

Name me a prison system that does not have it's share of abuse? One where the guards have not been know to take liberties of prisoners and beat the crap out of a prisoner for whatever reason? Name one that hasa 100% record of perfect care and no escapes?

Got a name yet? We can wait? Go look it up.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#14 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,651 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 10:40 AM

LotS, some Abu Ghraib prisoners were accused of Iraqi on Iraqi crimes, some were accused of attacks on coalition forces, and some were being detained after being picked up in sweeps on the hopes that they could provide intelligence about the insurgency.  One of the contributing factors to the abuse was having such a mix of people under the authority of inexperienced soldiers without a lot of corrections experience.  The first soldier to be court martialed was a mechanic for his MP unit!  He never should have been involved in "preparing" detainees for interrogation.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#15 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 11:02 AM

G1223, on May 10 2004, 02:52 PM, said:

Yeah damm us americans .  America should have the prison system of say China or better yet Russia. with Labor camps in Montana to keep snow cowered passes clear evn in the raging snow storms of Winter. I think ater the first 30 prisoners die of exposure a demand to go back to what we have would be the end resualt.

Name me a prison system that does not have it's share of abuse? One where the guards have not been know to take liberties of prisoners and beat the crap out of a prisoner for whatever reason? Name one that hasa 100% record of perfect care and no escapes?

So is this what we've come to?  "The United States-- not quite as bad as Stalin's Russia or communist China."

The U.S. is the richest, best educated, most powerful country this planet has ever seen.  We can do better, and it's simply pathetic to treat every problem with "yeah, but country X is even worse" instead of treating it as an opportunity to do better.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#16 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 11:13 AM

G1223, on May 10 2004, 03:52 PM, said:

What are you suggesting G? Should we not even try because no one is perfect?

Should we accept these monstrous actions as okay because 'no one's perfect?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#17 Gaheris

Gaheris
  • Islander
  • 629 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 11:27 AM

MuseZack, on May 10 2004, 04:00 PM, said:

The U.S. is the richest, best educated, most powerful country this planet has ever seen.
Well but your leader doesn't belong to the best educated group. And I seriously doubt, the US is the best educated country. Can you prove that somehow?
So long ago, another life,
I can feel your heartbeat,
It's not a dream, remember us,
I can see it in your eyes.
We'll find a place in time, a place in time
Beyond the sun, we'll find a place in time, a place in time to go along...

#18 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 11:38 AM

Gaheris, on May 10 2004, 04:25 PM, said:

MuseZack, on May 10 2004, 04:00 PM, said:

The U.S. is the richest, best educated, most powerful country this planet has ever seen.
Well but your leader doesn't belong to the best educated group. And I seriously doubt, the US is the best educated country. Can you prove that somehow?
I'm on record as being a non-fan of G.W. Bush, but he was educated by Yale and Harvard, two of the best universities on the planet.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#19 Gaheris

Gaheris
  • Islander
  • 629 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 11:47 AM

Yale and Harvard have indeed a good reputation. But I can't imagine George was well-educated there.

http://www.realchang...shjr.htm#quotes

You still presume he's well-educated?

Edit: typo

Edited by Gaheris, 10 May 2004 - 11:47 AM.

So long ago, another life,
I can feel your heartbeat,
It's not a dream, remember us,
I can see it in your eyes.
We'll find a place in time, a place in time
Beyond the sun, we'll find a place in time, a place in time to go along...

#20 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 11:47 AM

Cyberhippie, on May 10 2004, 04:11 PM, said:

G1223, on May 10 2004, 03:52 PM, said:

What are you suggesting G? Should we not even try because no one is perfect?

Should we accept these monstrous actions as okay because 'no one's perfect?
Not in the least but I get a bit fed up with "America Bad" or "All America does is bad." I find myself thinking that a does of reality that we are all in the same place and that the pots are calling the kettle black.

Like the war on Iraq all we hear  from the media is about what is wrong what is not working. " When is the last time we had a story about refilling the marshlands which were facing extention or the fact that some communities are getting the first fresh running water in the history of the village? Or that road repairs are going along as expected.

It is what we are not hearing that is just as important, Yet we hear nothing but a soldier being killed but nothing about the towns getting medical care. Why becasue the media and it" it bleeds it Leads" mindset and a Anti-American attitude amongst the Media.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Prisons, Crime, Punishment, US

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users