10 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 11:38 AM

http://www.reuters.c...storyID=5120562

ORLANDO, Fla. (Reuters) - Democratic challenger John Kerry said on Wednesday his first choice as defense secretary would be Republican Sen. John McCain as he criticized the Bush administration for failed policies in Iraq.

Kerry slammed President Bush and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld for the abuse of Iraqi prisoners, their failure to build an international coalition and other "miscalculations surrounding this war."

Now, I've seen McCain talk in person, and I think his loyalty to Bush is somewhat shaky; despite that, this is probably still a long-shot. Further, as a former POW, McCain has the credibility to deal with the abuse scandal. McCain has also been a voice for sanity in the war, and that's something we need.

It's still unlikely, but it's an interesting hypothetical. Didn't Joe Liebarman try this a few months back?
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 02:20 PM

Not a bad idea, but I don't like that it's coming from Kerry. Sounds opportunistic.

Really, John McCain is one of very, very few American politicians who doesn't leave me shaking my head in disbelief that he got himself elected*. I still say McCain would've been a better president than Bush. The Republicans made a huge mistake in 2000. John Kerry won't correct it in 2004.

So, McCain 2008, anyone? I mean, he'll probably be running against Hillary.... he can't lose!

*and I'm fully aware of the "Bush didn't get elected!" joke-- the Supreme Court says otherwise, and I'll leave it at that.

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#3 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 02:58 PM

I love it. But then, I would have voted for McCain as President anyway.

He'd make a great Secretary of Defense.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#4 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,653 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 03:00 PM

When I saw this thread title, I thought it was going to be about someone suggesting that McCain replace Rumsfeld.  And I was going to post, "Hah, Bush dislikes him so much that his only shot at the job would be with the Kerry administration."

Then I open the thread and see that GMTA,  :devil:

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#5 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 03:53 PM

Kerry saying the exact same thing as usual. "I'd have waited till France Germany and Russia joined in with us against Iraq"

That happens as often as the Cubs will win a World Series.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#6 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 04:04 PM

A SecDef McCain also gives President Kerry a twofer.  Not only does it provide a competent guy for the job and some needed bipartisanship, since Arizona has a Democratic governor (and is trending blue anyway) it also means a pickup in the Senate.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#7 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 04:10 PM

Kerry hasn't even been elected and he is already proposing distarously stupid defense policies.  

Well if McCain makes it into the DOD I think we can all kiss the US Military bye.  McCain has such a wonderful record on defense issues.  He attacked the C-17 in an all out attempt to kill the program on his claim that it was nothing but pork and useless.  It turned out that the C-17 has been the best investment made by the USAF in recent years.  The C-17s are the best transport plane that we have and one of the few birds in the world that can airlift a Abrams.  You can rest assured despite the efforts of McCain the C-17s have been very busy supporting efforts in Iraq.

Oh anyone care for another stupid McCain action on defense?  He was part of the political coalition that has attacked the B-2 Bomber in the past as a weapons system that was not needed, over priced, and rather useless.  I'd love for McCain to now stand up and attempt that same claim after seeing how the B-2 performed in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Kosovo.  We can thank blockheads like McCain for the fact that we only have a handful of B-2s and not enough to even start to ease the burden on the now old BUFF.  Then what was is another weapons system that Senator McCain has attacked more recently?  He went after the new C-130J that is replacing the older C-130s in the fleet.  McCain's logic was that the USAF had enough C-130s and it is such brilliant logic considering the C-130s are all getting old and need replacement.  The C-130J has enhanced the performance of the aircraft in terms of range, cruise ceiling time to climb, speed and airfields that it can operate from.  

And what has Senator McCain turned his eyes on now?  The F/A-22 Raptor seems to be his latest attempt to toss common sense to the wind and kill a defense program we badly need.  Air superiority will be the linchpin of all US military operations for as long as we can see into the future.  The F/A-22 is the means to secure that goal.  So Senator McCain on defense issues obviously has his head stuck in the sand or has his head up his posterior as far as most of the democratic party on defense matters.  

I don't like Rumsfeld for many reasons and think many of his programs are wrong and will hinder the capability of the US Military.  That said I'll take Rummy any day over slash and burn McCain.  McCain in the past has attacked the C-130J, the B-2 Spirit, the C-17, and now the F/A-22.  This is not the guy we need operating the DOD.  He has proven himself wrong time and time again and he continues that tradition.

Once again if you want some real potential for a Sec Defense than look to Tommy Franks or Norman Schwarzkopf.  At least I have a feeling they would put their experience to use.

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 12 May 2004 - 04:13 PM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#8 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 04:43 PM

McCain should be president.

Not Kerry.  Not Bush.

Not Hilary.
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#9 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 04:46 PM

^Hey, something we agree on. I wouldn't have voted for Hilary for Senator. Anyone who would let her husband humiliate her in public the way Clinton did and then stay with him in spite of it needs some *serious* therapy, IMO.  ;)
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#10 Gefiltefishmon

Gefiltefishmon

Oolong Caluphids Private Secretary

• Islander
  • 789 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 08:46 AM

I stumped for McCain when he ran against Bush - too Bad the Party picked the wrong guy - and Clinton had a republican SecDef (cohen) so their is precedent. If Kerry promised to put McCain in as SecDef I might just have to vote for Kerry instead of Nader.
"To know that you do not know is the best. To act from the pretense that you know when you do not know is a disease" - Lao Tzu

"From All, One; and From One, All" - Heraclitus

"Let me be clear: however the world's goblet turns there will always be those drunk on the wine of the Self" - Ghalib

"A 'politically savvy challenge to evolution' is as self-evidently ridiculous as an agriculturally savvy challenge to euclidean geometry would be." - Charles Pierce

#11 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 09:58 AM

Chipper, on May 12 2004, 04:41 PM, said:

McCain should be president.
McCain has already attempted to do or has done enough damage to the national security of the US by being a senator.  :rolleyes:
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2004, John Kerry, 2004, John McCain

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users