15 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 47,782 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 08:57 PM

http://story.news.ya...are_hotties&e=1

Asking Home Depot employees to trade their smocks and hammers for teddies and G-strings at most Playboy.com is looking for the "hotties" among the hardware giant's employees.

The adult magazine has featured women from corporations in the past, whether because of controversy, as was the case with Enron and WorldCom, or because the company is an industry icon, such as Starbucks or Wal-Mart.

"These companies have thousands and thousands of employees, and there are many beautiful women among them," Playboy.com spokeswoman Jay Jay Nesheim said, adding that women interested should submit photos, proof of age and a paycheck stub.

Home Depot is distancing itself from the photo shoot.

"The company is aware of the invitation but does not endorse it, support it, nor are we affiliated with it in any way," spokesman Don Harrison said, reading a prepared statement over the phone and refusing to comment further.

Playboy heard no complaints of women being fired for the Starbucks or Wal-Mart shoots, Nesheim said.

No happy homemakers for Playboy, I guess. ;)
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,415 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 09:15 PM

Sure, they're not going to be very supportive publicly, because they don't want to alienate the portion of the population that is against it/offended by it, but don't kid yourself - they're loving the publicity.

Rhys
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#3 mikebb

mikebb
  • Islander
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 09:28 PM

Playboy has Girls of Home Depot?! I wonder what's next...never mind, I don't want to know! :fear:

#4 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 09:32 PM

I really don't get the "She works at <x>!" fetish. Other gentlemen: Do themes like this really do anything for you...?
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#5 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 09:36 PM

But are the readers going to be looking at the bare flesh or the power tools, the yard care equipment, and the paint swatches... :p~
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#6 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 47,782 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 09:57 PM

Javert Rovinski, on May 12 2004, 10:30 PM, said:

I really don't get the "She works at <x>!" fetish. Other gentlemen: Do themes like this really do anything for you...?
Says the man waiting for the, "Girls of Pizza Hut" issue. :lol:  :lol:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#7 Rommie's Ronin

Rommie's Ronin

Out Of The Silent Planet

• Islander
  • 815 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 10:01 PM

Personally, I'm waiting on the "Girls of Del Taco" issue. :D

No Rov, it doesn't do much for me if it's a theme or not.

Besides I only read for the articles.

Edited by Rommie's Ronin, 12 May 2004 - 10:01 PM.

"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been and never will be." ---John Wayne

http://www.smokingse...n.com/swafr.htm

#8 EChatty

EChatty

Sigh

• SuperMod
  • 22,709 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 10:06 PM

^^SURE, you do :hehe:

Just like everyone else.... ;)

Female gamer and proud of it

Read my crafty blatherings

My projects on Ravelry

A little getaway

"Be careful. No path is darker than when your eyes are shut." Flemeth (DA2)

#9 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 10:10 PM

I can't believe they do themes because the themes themselves are an attraction. They must do it because their basic plan is so simple that they feel a need to come up with random variations from time to time because it would get old.

#10 Orpheus

Orpheus

Get my agent! I'm supposed to be Castathan, not Indogene

• Administrator
  • 16,908 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 12:35 AM

Well, maybe not where you live, but the men around here get an amazing amount of wood when they shop at Home Depot.

I've been known to go there myself for knockers, or or a good nail or screw -- and I have my eyes on a nice piston ram.

#11 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 12:43 AM

adds a whole new meaning to "Home Improvement Project".....

Corwin
"The Enemy is upon us, so Lock and Load, Brothers.  The Emperor Calls and the Forces of Chaos must be driven back.  Though all of us will fall, none of us shall fail!"

#12 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 09:47 AM

Playboy has Girls of Home Depot?! I wonder what's next...never mind, I don't want to know! :fear:

Girls of McDonalds... Girls of Barnes & Noble...

Oh, you're right -- :fear:

:lol:
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

#13 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 03:37 PM

Norville, on May 13 2004, 02:45 PM, said:

Girls of Barnes & Noble...
hey at least for Girls of Barnes and Noble there might be some well-read centerfolds in that bunch  :lol:

(Che--who wants to be a bookstore girl again--but won't pose for Playboy)

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#14 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 05:44 PM

Orpheus, on May 12 2004, 09:33 PM, said:

Well, maybe not where you live, but the men around here get an amazing amount of wood when they shop at Home Depot.

I've been known to go there myself for knockers, or or a good nail or screw -- and I have my eyes on a nice piston ram.
LOL!  :p  :D  :lol:

::Rhea waves at Orpheus::
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#15 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 47,782 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 10:02 PM

Orpheus, on May 13 2004, 01:33 AM, said:

You might also need a hand pump and a long, rubber tipped handle, a long bore router and don't forget the long lawn hose, for some deep seeded watering. ;)

#16 Orpheus

Orpheus

Get my agent! I'm supposed to be Castathan, not Indogene

• Administrator
  • 16,908 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 08:06 PM

You might also need a hand pump...
No, thanks. I'm hoping I won't need a handpump...

::Orpheus waves at Rhea::
Hmmm... that just might be my ride now. See ya, DWF.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users