12 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:50 PM

http://story.news.ya...ky_fund_raisers

That smell coming from Jefferson County High School's football stadium this fall? Let's just say it may not be the hot dogs. Those cheers from the crowd? Not for the team. In fact, the players won't even be on the field. They'll be on the sideline, rooting. For what? One lonely cow wandering a 100-yard field in search of a place to go to the bathroom.

Where the bovine ultimately decides to do her business will mean big bucks for the lucky person who bet on that portion of the field.

It's all part of a local charity's Oct. 16 "Cow Drop Raffle" to raise money for equipment to stock the football team's weight lifting room.

The Dandridge event is one of many planned by charities across the state now that the General Assembly has permitted gambling fund-raisers by certain nonprofit organizations.

Seventy-one charities received the OK from the state Senate last week to host events. They likely will be approved next week by the House.

Charities have jumped with enthusiasm and creativity on the new way to raise cash, with events ranging from the staid to the quirky to the outright smelly.

I'd hate to be the one to clean up afterward. :eek:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 08:08 PM

These aren't that uncommon.  Until my province's gaming commission said that Engineers without Borders wasn't enough of a charity (yeah, figure that one out, I still can't), I was heading up planning one ;)
cervisiam tene rem specta

#3 Pip

Pip

Still a pervy hobbit fancier... all these years later

• Islander
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 08:14 PM

ya know, I live in Iowa and I can't even believe people are gonna sit and watch a cow do it's business. :lol:
Dance as if no one were watching, sing as if no one were listening, and live every day as if it were your last.  --Irish Proverb

#4 TravelerOfTheWays

TravelerOfTheWays

Botherbotherbother

• Islander
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 01:25 AM

^ High-five for Iowa!  I'm here between Mizzou and Sciences Po in a few months, back with the Family.  Otherwise, I have nothing of substance to add :D
"The corollary, of course, is that a Western man who treats women like they're, you know, people has an absurdly easy time of things. It's like a sexy lady liquidation event. NO REASONABLE OFFER WILL BE REFUSED."

~Rov

#5 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 08:28 AM

Maybe they should do this technique come November. Put a picture of Bush on one side of the White House lawn, and a picture of Kerry on the other. Whichever one the cow poops on is our new President.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#6 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 09:38 AM

^ Nah, then there'd be a lawsuit by the losing side claiming the cow was biased ;)

Or else it would poop on the divider, and they'd be arguing which side got the brunt.
cervisiam tene rem specta

#7 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:33 PM

*Snickering madly at the flood of images that that provokes*  :p
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#8 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 03:39 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on May 18 2004, 09:26 AM, said:

Maybe they should do this technique come November. Put a picture of Bush on one side of the White House lawn, and a picture of Kerry on the other. Whichever one the cow poops on is our new President.
That sounds like, alot of BS to me. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#9 Pip

Pip

Still a pervy hobbit fancier... all these years later

• Islander
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 08:04 PM

I think this thread just took an utterly wrong turn.   :p~ :p~ :p~ :p~ :p~ :p~
Dance as if no one were watching, sing as if no one were listening, and live every day as if it were your last.  --Irish Proverb

#10 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 09:48 PM

pfft...that school isn't unique.  my HS alma mater (here in sunny CA) does a "cow chip raffle" every fall.  or they did all the while i was in school.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#11 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 10:09 PM

Cheile, on May 18 2004, 10:46 PM, said:

pfft...that school isn't unique.  my HS alma mater (here in sunny CA) does a "cow chip raffle" every fall.  or they did all the while i was in school.
So, the winner gets a cow chip? :eek2:  :crazy:

#12 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 11:09 PM

no, DWF LOL.  there are small things--like free tickets to games, up to sometimes a car if they win.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#13 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 04:38 PM

^^^Well, that's a good thing, otherwise I can imagine alot unhappy people with cow chip for a prize. :lol:

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tennessee, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users