Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Swift Boat Veterans: Kerry stop using our photo.

Election 2004 Kerry Swift Boat Veterans

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 10:33 AM

Swift Boat Veterans for Truth Call on John Kerry to Stop Unauthorized Use of Photo:

For example, the photo in Kerry's national campaign ads contains 20 officers, including Kerry, 11 of whom signed a letter condemning Kerry yet their image is being widely used in his own campaign. It was taken on the island of An Thoi on January 22, 1969. These officers together with Swift Boat Veterans for Truth call upon him to cease the unauthorized use of their photo by his campaign. They are jointly submitting a letter to John Kerry. (Photo links, letter to Kerry and link to unauthorized use of the photo below.)

William Shumadine, shown in the photo and a member of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, stated, "His use of a photograph with his 19 comrades with knowledge that 11 of them condemn him and six who cannot or do not want to be involved is a complete misrepresentation to the public and a total fraud."

Swift Boat Veterans for Truth's sole purpose is to bring the truth about John Kerry's service to the American public and is not affiliated with any political organization. It includes more than 220 Swift vets, virtually the entire chain of command Kerry reported to and a large majority of peers who served with him during his short and controversial stay in

Sounds like they just love their old comrade Kerry....
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#2 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 10:45 AM

Sounds interesting but do not expect the media to report it beyond the initial story. Except the smal back at the group for tarnishing the great war hero's rep.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#3 StarDust

StarDust
  • Islander
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 09:37 PM

It's never seemed like most of those that served with him like him much.  I'm sure his stances when he returned from the war didn't help, not that it seemed very self serving for his political asperations.

#4 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 10:24 PM

StarDust, on May 24 2004, 02:35 AM, said:

It's never seemed like most of those that served with him like him much.  I'm sure his stances when he returned from the war didn't help, not that it seemed very self serving for his political asperations.
Really?  Every single guy who actually served on the boat with Kerry except one loves the man, and several are campaigning for him, as is the Green Beret (and former Republican sheriff's deputy) whose life Kerry saved.  As we've extensively covered here before, these guys are a bunch of people who either didn't actually serve with Kerry or (in the case of his former commanding officers) are contradicting their own earlier accounts.  

Attack Kerry's post-Vietnam activities all you like, bitch about whether he threw the medals or ribbons he earned if you must, but his record in Vietnam by all accounts was exemplary and heroic, and attempts to belittle it just make people look like sad, bitter partisans who can't stand the fact that someone with a D after his name was genuinely heroic under fire.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#5 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 09:17 AM

MuseZack, on May 23 2004, 10:22 PM, said:

As we've extensively covered here before, these guys are a bunch of people who either didn't actually serve with Kerry or (in the case of his former commanding officers) are contradicting their own earlier accounts.
Funny they are in a picture that Kerry is using in his ads....  Must be they are actually assuming false identities to give Kerry a hard time.

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 24 May 2004 - 09:17 AM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#6 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 09:18 AM

Why do the quotes from these people who were unimpressed with Kerry in Vietnam keep talking about their personal interactions and experiences with him?

#7 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 03:08 PM

MuseZack, on May 23 2004, 07:22 PM, said:

StarDust, on May 24 2004, 02:35 AM, said:

It's never seemed like most of those that served with him like him much.  I'm sure his stances when he returned from the war didn't help, not that it seemed very self serving for his political asperations.
Really?  Every single guy who actually served on the boat with Kerry except one loves the man, and several are campaigning for him, as is the Green Beret (and former Republican sheriff's deputy) whose life Kerry saved.  As we've extensively covered here before, these guys are a bunch of people who either didn't actually serve with Kerry or (in the case of his former commanding officers) are contradicting their own earlier accounts.  

Attack Kerry's post-Vietnam activities all you like, bitch about whether he threw the medals or ribbons he earned if you must, but his record in Vietnam by all accounts was exemplary and heroic, and attempts to belittle it just make people look like sad, bitter partisans who can't stand the fact that someone with a D after his name was genuinely heroic under fire.
What Zack said.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#8 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 03:23 PM

So if a group of soldiers stationed in Iraq or the do not want Bush to use a picture of him with them in it. They have no reason to complain or speak their mind about not wanting to be used for political purposes.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#9 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 06:29 PM

Comparing Bush shaking hands in Iraq with Kerry actually serving in Viet Nam is ludicrous on the face of it (unless you consider handshaking to be um...courage under fire or something :p).

OTOH, Kerry isn't likely to have many pictures of his time in Viet Nam that don't have other people in them. He was there, he served, and they're his pictures as much as anyone else's.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#10 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 08:23 PM

Oh, grow up.

"Mommmmmmmmmy, Kerry won't stop playing with my pictures!". What the heck do they want, for him to photoshop paper bags on their heads?

Yeesh.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#11 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 10:27 PM

Javert Rovinski, on May 24 2004, 09:21 PM, said:

Oh, grow up.

"Mommmmmmmmmy, Kerry won't stop playing with my pictures!". What the heck do they want, for him to photoshop paper bags on their heads?

Yeesh.
I guess that explains The Unknown Comic then. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

http://www.theunknow...art/in_suit.jpg

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#12 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 01:35 PM

I tried to think of this as if in some hypothetical time and place in which a politician wants to use my profession for his campaign, talking a lot about the time when he worked in that professoin and showing pictures of himself and some of his co-workers from that time, including me. I have a bit over three years of experience since college working in natural resources management, mostly forestry, and still tend to think of myself as a forester even though I am currently employed otherwise after a relocation and don't know when I'll get back into forestry in this area.

If any old ordinary politician were to make his/her past work in forestry a campaign theme, I wouldn't care. It might even mildly amuse me, at least at first. If it were not just anybody, but a politician that I strongly disliked, I'd be somewhat annoyed by his/her attempt to associate himself/herself with me and my fellow foresters and past foresters, but still not think it was really a big deal. If (s)he really was a forester once before and that's something voters would care about, they should know about it and (s)he should tell them. I wouldn't even care much about the negative appraisals of him that I kept hearing from those who've worked with him before in forestry, or his supporters' contradictory claims that those people don't exist and every forester or ranger who ever met him loved and admired him. I understand that different people will have different experiences and impressions of the same thing or person, and in any case it was long enough ago for him to have changed since then EITHER WAY.

But this is a step beyond that. Here we're talking about a former forester who has consistently shown an overpowering contempt for forestry and foresters since then, from voting as a legislator to weaken the profession, to making speeches about how wrong everything foresters do is and how wicked the fundamental purposes and methods of forestry are and how many problems in the world are foresters' fault, to making a big public display of throwing away his old firefighter patches and outstanding-forest-management plaques (with the bronze leaf and silver tree on them), to claiming to have participated in crimes against humanity and/or deliberately created environmental disasters as a forester because that kind of thing was routine and openly encouraged as part and parcel of the foul, twisted nature of forestry. And now he has decided that acting like he's for us instead of against us is good for his political career, and we're supposed to just ignore all that he's done and said before, including the claims to have committed serious heavy-duty crimes in the name of forestry, because that all wasn't for real but mere political convenience, of course; THIS is what's real now.

So now I end up in pictures with him from the past, with his supporters putting words of praise for him in my mouth, while he tries to absorb from me as much as possible of the legitimacy and respect that I wouldn't even have anymore myself if he'd had his way.

I'd want it stopped, too.

#13 Cavalier

Cavalier
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 04:34 PM

^  Bravo sir!

#14 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 05:23 PM

What's odd is that Kerry is the only one talking about his Vietnam record. Cheney, the President, and everyone in the Bush administration talk about Kerry's voting record as a U.S. Senator, and nothing else.

Kerry knows this, that's why he's swamping television with Vietnam ads. I wish him luck, he'll need it.

-Ogami

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2004, Kerry, Swift Boat Veterans

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users