LGBT Adoption

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 taran

taran
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:16 AM

Our country is sliding down a slippery slope of immorality. Concerned citizens need to speak up now, before it's too late.

One of the biggest issues today is gay adoption. Children are innocent, vulnerable, and impressionable. The problem is that children who are raised by gay parents have more problems. They grow up sexually confused. They experiment more with homosexuality.

These are the words of the American College of Pediatricians, a professional group of doctors: "Given the current body of research, the American College of Pediatricians believes it is inappropriate, potentially hazardous to children, and dangerously irresponsible to change the age-old prohibition on homosexual parenting, whether by adoption, foster care, or by reproductive manipulation. This position is rooted in the best available science."

Dated: January 22, 2004

http://www.acpeds.or...SKIT=4233170734

Second, take this example of two researchers who are in favor of gay parenting and adoption. Even they say that children raised by gay parents are more sexually active, more sexually confused, and more likely to grow up gay.

http://www.townhall....c20040521.shtml

Third, people make claims that gay adoption is a civil right, and should be allowed. In fact, gay adoption has nothing to do with civil rights, only special rights. Actually, it gets worse. White gays are engaged in racism against black gays, and black gays aren't going to take it anymore. Quoting the following article: "The White gay community is one of America's last strongholds for White Supremacy. "

http://mhking.mu.nu/...ives/030215.php

How can a group like the white gay movement be a civil rights movement when it discriminates against black people? The white gay movement is intensely intolerant. They almost never defend their position with evidence or logic. Worse, you can't criticize the historic societal changes desired by the white gay movement without it throwing back the accusation "Anti-gay bigotry!" Who then is allowed to speak up for children? Apparently only "intolerant" people dare do so anymore.

Gay adoption is wrong. It should not be allowed.

Fortunately, something can be done. Florida has banned gay adoptions. Now that state's ban has been upheld in court.

http://www.cnn.com/2...ay.adoption.ap/

Other states can and should also ban gay adoption.

The only people who have a right to adopt are people who the public deem to be good candidates for parenthood. Gay people are not good role models for children, and should not be allowed to adopt any child.

#2 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:26 AM

The only people who have a right to adopt are people who the public deem to be good candidates for parenthood.

We have to go through a public exam now? :Oo:

Ooops.... there go a couple hundred kids in my area alone, back into foster care.... which is EVER so good for emotional stability.... :p
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#3 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:29 AM

This is, without a doubt, the funniest thread I've encountered in OT. Of course, it's all going to broil down to gay marriage in the end (don't they always?), but for now, I'm just going to keep on laughing and stare in disbelief at the people who actually believe this bull.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#4 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:29 AM

Let me start off with I disagree.

My examples are from a few years back. A Gay man adpoted two brothers all legal and with no headaches . he had tried to adopt the boys younger sister so as to keep the family toghere. A church group protested and raised a stink and the state did not allow him to adopt the girl.

The girl was adopted by one of the protestors who two years later molested the now 9 yr old girl. The state at the request of the gay man allowed him to finally adopt the girl and reunite the family. The gay man was very good with and for  the children.  

I see children who are left with foster families who grow up malajusted. They feel unwanted and to an extent they are. If a child has been in foster care or is beyond age 9 a lot of people look elsewhere. They usually are wanting a child so they can raise one who very young as they will bond tighter than if the child has been too long in a system where he is a number.

By the time they are in their teens some have criminal record or other problems dealing with society. Some times it is drugs or other problems.

So I only want the child placed in a safe enviroment where they can grow up I do not really care about sexual orientation unless the person pushes his attention upon the child. Then it's child molestation and there are a lot of problems.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#5 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:31 AM

I'm with Josh.  As if anyone is surprised.
Posted Image

#6 Chakotay

Chakotay

For gosh sakes let me out of here!

• Islander
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 02:40 AM

Although having children isn't a right - it's a gift and a priviledge - I see no reason to put a blanket ban on a whole section of the community from raising a child simply because of a label. There's a whole lot more to it than that, and I'd rather see the proper adoption procedures gone through, with assessment of the prospective parents for their ability to raise the child in a loving, caring and safe environment. It's unfair to tar everyone with the same brush as a minority of dangerous individuals. So many paedophiles are 'straight' after all. Does that mean straight people shouldn't have children either?
  No plan survives first contact with the enemy - military axiom.

#7 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 04:53 AM

This is number 25 in the American College of Pediatricians foot notes.

Bailey, J.M. Commentary: Homosexuality and mental illness. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry. 56 (1999): 876-880. Author states, "These studies contain arguably the best published data on the association between homosexuality and psychopathology, and both converge on the same unhappy conclusion: homosexual people are at substantially higher risk for some forms of emotional problems, including suicidality, major depression, and anxiety disorder, conduct disorder, and nicotine dependence...."

ď:.. homosexual people are at substantially higher risk for some forms of emotional problems, including suicidality, major depression, and anxiety disorder, conduct disorder, and nicotine dependence...."

Well da:  You try being Gay in this society with medical pronouncements like this, and weíll see if youíre not stressed out and if you donít start to smoke. The listed symptoms, if they can truly be considered that, are also seen in heterosexuals forced to undergo continuous levels of moderate, to high stress. As to that bit about being overly promiscuous, have they taken a look at the current 15 to 35 aged, heterosexual population in the larger cities of this country lately.

If I could afford it I would love to see this study, from with little I see this study is a major piece of homophobic trash. In particular I would like to see the questionnaires, to screen the cohorts, and produce the data. What is more I would like to see the recruitment criteria and methods, used to bring the individual members of the cohort into the study. AND thatís just based on a footnote blurb.

Sparky::

Edited by emsparks, 28 May 2004 - 04:58 AM.

Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#8 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 05:51 AM

Well said Sparky!
Posted Image

#9 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 05:54 AM

Wow.

Umm...I agree with both Josh and Lil.  

If person is going to be a good parent, then I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be eligable to adopt a child.  And before you ask (although I doubt you'll stick your head in here again), sexual orientation does not make a person "bad".

I could just keep going for hours...wow....

Props to the other EIers for keeping a level head in this thread.  

-Dan

:ninja:
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#10 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 06:22 AM

^  I think that I've seen so much of this kind of nonsense (the "studies" quoted for example) that at this point, I just have to laugh.  It's so sad. :/
Posted Image

#11 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 06:29 AM

taran, on May 28 2004, 05:14 AM, said:

The only people who have a right to adopt are people who the public deem to be good candidates for parenthood. Gay people are not good role models for children, and should not be allowed to adopt any child.
That's a pretty big blanket you're laying out there. There are plenty of straight couples who are not good role models for children, yet they should be allowed to adopt because they're straight?

Children who are not adopted have to be taken care of somehow - you're really saying that a child living in a series of foster homes or an institution is really better off than being raised by a same-sex couple?

BTW, I checked the bibliography of the article. Judging just based on the names of the articles, it looks like a carefully selected list - they only picked articles that supported their theory. I also noticed that a number of the articles talked about single-parenthood, which is something that you don't address here.

Face it - the arguments are just circular logic. You say that gay couples shouldn't adopt because they aren't married and you'll say that they shouldn't marry since they can't have kids (and you'd never make that argument about a straight, sterile couple, would you?!).

[Edit to add]

BTW, I think that adoption agencies try to do a good job in screening any potential parents before the adoption goes through. Granted, those agencies may have prejudiced people working there, but each adoption is handled for the benefit of the child.

Edited by Broph, 28 May 2004 - 06:30 AM.

#12 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 06:32 AM

Broph, on May 28 2004, 04:27 AM, said:

Face it - the arguments are just circular logic. You say that gay couples shouldn't adopt because they aren't married and you'll say that they shouldn't marry since they can't have kids (and you'd never make that argument about a straight, sterile couple, would you?!).
I'll also bet a quarter that this person would not argue that a heterosexual couple unable to bear children should not be allowed to adopt.  Because the issue with people like this is not in fact marriage, it's homosexuality.
Posted Image

#13 Beldame

Beldame
  • Islander
  • 644 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 06:46 AM

As the American College of Pediatricians states that it ''Recognises the fundamental mother-father family unit, within the context of marriage, to be the optimal setting for the development and nurturing of children and pledges to promote this unit'' you would hardly expect them to come up with any arguments in favour of gay adoption. You could look at the American Academy of Pediatrics

Quote:abstract of article
Technical Report: Coparent or Second-Parent Adoption by Same-Sex Parents
Ellen C. Perrin, MD and Committee on Psychosocial Aspects of Child and Family Health
A growing body of scientific literature demonstrates that children who grow up with 1 or 2 gay and/or lesbian parents fare as well in emotional, cognitive, social, and sexual functioning as do children whose parents are heterosexual. Childrenís optimal development seems to be influenced more by the nature of the relationships and interactions within the family unit than by the particular structural form it takes.

(sorry, can't seem to get the link working on this one)

or the BMJ(British Medical Journal)
www.bmjjournals.com

A limitation of the early investigations was that only school age children were studied. It was argued that sleeper effects may exist such that children raised in lesbian mother families may experience difficulties in emotional wellbeing and in intimate relationships when they grow up. Further, they may be more likely than other children to themselves adopt a lesbian or gay sexual orientation in adulthood, an outcome that has been considered undesirable by courts of law. To address this question, a group of children raised in lesbian mother families in the United Kingdom was followed up to adulthood. 6 7 These young adults did not differ from their counterparts from heterosexual families in terms of quality of family relationships, psychological adjustment, or quality of peer relationships. With respect to their sexual orientation, the large majority of children from lesbian families identified as heterosexual in adulthood.
In recent years, attention has moved from the issue of child custody to whether lesbian women should have access to assisted reproduction procedures, particularly donor insemination, to enable them to have children without the involvement of a male partner. The findings from studies of these families, where the children grow up without a father right from the start, indicate that the children do not differ from their peers in two parent, heterosexual families in terms of either emotional wellbeing or gender development.8-11 The only clear difference to emerge is that co-mothers in two parent lesbian families are more involved in parenting than are fathers from two parent homes.

At least you could follow up the links if you are interested in getting a more balanced picture....
As for the racism thing...cobblers.

Children need love, stability, support and attention. If they have these things they will turn out happy and well adjusted adults whatever their background.
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

(Douglas Adams)

#14 Taryn Wander'r

Taryn Wander'r

scott pilgrim's precious little lover

• Islander
  • 605 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 08:15 AM

Josh, on May 28 2004, 05:27 AM, said:

This is, without a doubt, the funniest thread I've encountered in OT. Of course, it's all going to broil down to gay marriage in the end (don't they always?), but for now, I'm just going to keep on laughing and stare in disbelief at the people who actually believe this bull.
Ditto. I'm just going to stifle a laugh and not even bother trying to start pointing out what's wrong with this kind of logic.  ;)

#15 Avalon

Avalon
  • Islander
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 10:49 AM

G1223, on May 28 2004, 01:27 AM, said:

So I only want the child placed in a safe enviroment where they can grow up I do not really care about sexual orientation unless the person pushes his attention upon the child. Then it's child molestation and there are a lot of problems.
I totally agree with G here -- I just think a child should be placed with people who will love him/her and do right by him/her.  

(And I'm an Evangelical Christian.  How 'bout that?  ;) )

#16 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 11:35 AM

I would rather see children being adopted and raised by a gay couple, then being raised by certain Priests. (You guys no the ones I'm referring to)

And as for the idea that simply because a person is gay they shouldn't be allowed to adopt children....BS

What's next? Just because a person is gay they can't get an education? Or better yet, since gays are apparently second class people, they shouldn't be allowed to drive a car, own a home, have a job....Grrrr!

Don't even get me started.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#17 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:20 PM

You know, I think I am simply going to stop looking at any thread that has the word "gay" in it.

#18 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:41 PM

White gays are engaged in racism against black gays, and black gays aren't going to take it anymore.

Most of the White gay men that I know, prefer Black men.
Can't Touch This!!

#19 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:56 PM

the only reason i say no to gay adoption at this point is b/c of what the children end up being subjected to by their peers.

schools are bad enough to the average child.  very few have no tolerance policies towards bullying and most administrations let it go on without care.  harassing of children of gay couples would more than likely be condoned by the admin b/c they would think the parents are immortal/disgusting/insert yr choice of insult.

so until this country can stop being homophobic and/or school administrations are forced to shape up, i say no.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#20 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 02:49 PM

^Um, you do realize that by preventing gay couples from adopting, you're only reinforcing those homophobic tendencies. It's only when people see more open adoptions that their minds will be changed.

BTW, I don't think that gay couples are immortal. You can quote me on that one.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LGBT, Adoption

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users