• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 11:07 AM

Just in case you missed it, here is the transcript of Al Gore's speech to the rabidly anti-Bush MoveOn group.

What's missing here is the audio. I'm told that Gore shouted so much he made Howard Dean look sane.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#2 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:09 PM

:rolleyes:

Isn't this the same Al Gore who who publically warned the president that he would have to do something about Saddam sooner or later?

If there is a bigger sore loser in this land, I have yet to meet him.

#3 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:19 PM

HubcapDave, on May 28 2004, 05:07 PM, said:

:rolleyes:

Isn't this the same Al Gore who who publically warned the president that he would have to do something about Saddam sooner or later?

If there is a bigger sore loser in this land, I have yet to meet him.
Doesn't someone actually have to lose to be considered a sore loser?
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#4 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:24 PM

^Do we *really* have to go through this again?
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#5 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:27 PM

jon3831, on May 28 2004, 05:22 PM, said:

If people keep making idiotic statements like "sore loser," then yes.

#6 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:43 PM

MuseZack, on May 28 2004, 10:25 AM, said:

Quick, Zack! Name how many times we've elected a president by popular vote!

That's right, the answer is NEVER!

Now, tell me we've seen a loser of a presidential contest carry on in such a manner as Al Gore has of late. I sure as heck can't remember.

#7 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:45 PM

I'm told that Gore shouted so much he made Howard Dean look sane.

I heard some of it on radio. He was playing to his audience, yelling with a furious growl in his voice, and I wasn't impressed...
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#8 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:48 PM

Is he back in a public office now? If not, the only noteworthy thing here is that anybody's still paying attention to him at all, as only a "former" something. Yes, he's loopy, but why bother? There are plenty of other loopy people with no official position in this country.

#9 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:52 PM

Well he beat out Bubba wakins for the role of Village Idiot but otherwise Gore is out of the spotlight.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#10 gaius claudius

gaius claudius

I'm bringing the sexy back!!

• Islander
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:59 PM

Norville, on May 28 2004, 01:43 PM, said:

I'm told that Gore shouted so much he made Howard Dean look sane.

I heard some of it on radio. He was playing to his audience, yelling with a furious growl in his voice, and I wasn't impressed...
I'm not sure I understand the big deal here...Gore gavea partisan speech to a partisan audience in order to fire them up for the election..the point??  No different then Bush giving one of his rousing speeches at a $1000.00 a plate dinner...it what they do to fire up the  troops on both sides...whoopppeeee...

Hubcap Dave wrote:

You're a 100% right...luckily the founding fathers created an electoral system to make sure like pesky things like popularity didn't interfere with proper elections .. :)

And of course we don't want a canidate to get too excited while speechifying...looks unnatural...like one dem southern baptsit preachers or somethin' whippin up the congregation...

gc     :devil:
I seek the truth...it is only persistence in self-delusion and ignorance that does harm.
- Marcus Aurelius

King Mob 42

#11 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 01:11 PM

I'm not sure I understand the big deal here...

I don't think it was a big deal; I found it silly. I wouldn't have mentioned it at all had it not been posted here and I felt like replying. *shrug*
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#12 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 01:11 PM

You're a 100% right...luckily the founding fathers created an electoral system to make sure like pesky things like popularity didn't interfere with proper elections .. 

Smartass  ;)

#13 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 01:18 PM

Thing is, when I read crap like Gore's speech (and Ted Kennedy's recent statement about how "the US now operating Saddam's torture chambers") I do question his patriotism. I know this is the charge often levelled at those of us who support the President by those who don't, but it's true. I question Gore's patriotism; I question Kennedy's patriotism. I think both of them, by making public statements like that, are aiding our nation's enemies during a time of war.

Of course no one would seriously consider prosecuting them for treason and/or sedition. (Why not?) With Gore, at least, he's no longer an elected official, (and the way he's been behaving lately, I'm thankful he never got elected. You guys thought Reagan was losing his mind in his second term? . . . imagine this buffoon in the Oval Office . . . ) otherwise I'd be leading the charge to force his resignation. But Kennedy . . . why do his fellow Democrats allow him to continue to make such an ass of himself? Where are the Democrats who will stand up and declare that we don't tear down this country just to score political points?

And that's why I find this stuff a big deal.

Edited by Drew, 28 May 2004 - 01:20 PM.

"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#14 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 02:15 PM

HubcapDave, on May 28 2004, 05:41 PM, said:

MuseZack, on May 28 2004, 10:25 AM, said:

Now, tell me we've seen a loser of a presidential contest carry on in such a manner as Al Gore has of late. I sure as heck can't remember.
I wasn't talking about the popular vote-- though it's interesting to note that in the runup to the election, when it appeared Gore might lose the popular vote but win the electoral college, the Republicans were already laying the groundwork to contest it.

Between the illegally cast after election day military ballots that Gore didn't contest, the illegal disenfranchisement of the African American vote through the "felon purge," the abormally large number of disqualified ballots from minority majority districts, the "bourgeois riot" (look up the term) by out of state Republican operatives aimed at physically intimidating election workers into stopping the Florida recount, and the 5-4 Supreme Court decision to stop the recount that included two justices who should have recused themselves for having relatives working on the Bush-Cheney campaign, there's enough to conclude that the electoral vote actually went for Gore as well.

If anything, Gore was remarkably gracious in letting Bush assume office without a fight, and kept quiet or offered support for an extended period after September 11th.  Not that anyone gave him credit for it or anything.

#15 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 02:22 PM

That was then. This is now. And now he's acting like Howard Dean's slightly imbalanced cousin.

#16 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 02:31 PM

Drew, on May 28 2004, 07:20 PM, said:

That was then. This is now. And now he's acting like Howard Dean's slightly imbalanced cousin.
Really?  How?  Because-- gasp! -- he raised his voice?

Or because you don't like his dissection of the Bush Administration's litany of failures and bad behavior?  If he's wrong, tell us how instead of just throwing around invective and assuming we'd all be scandalized by criticism of the Administration.

#17 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 02:42 PM

MuseZack, on May 28 2004, 12:13 PM, said:

I wasn't talking about the popular vote-- though it's interesting to note that in the runup to the election, when it appeared Gore might lose the popular vote but win the electoral college, the Republicans were already laying the groundwork to contest it.

Between the illegally cast after election day military ballots that Gore didn't contest, the illegal disenfranchisement of the African American vote through the "felon purge," the abormally large number of disqualified ballots from minority majority districts, the "bourgeois riot" (look up the term) by out of state Republican operatives aimed at physically intimidating election workers into stopping the Florida recount, and the 5-4 Supreme Court decision to stop the recount that included two justices who should have recused themselves for having relatives working on the Bush-Cheney campaign, there's enough to conclude that the electoral vote actually went for Gore as well.

If anything, Gore was remarkably gracious in letting Bush assume office without a fight, and kept quiet or offered support for an extended period after September 11th.  Not that anyone gave him credit for it or anything.
Hmm. I'd like to see actual links to some of that stuff.

Besides, I remember that there was an independent count done of the florida ballots and it was determined that Bush would have won regardless.

#18 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 02:44 PM

The inaccuracies (okay, we'll call them 'lies') of his speech have been covered elsewhere. (For example, his comments about Red Cross figures are pure fantasy.) Get out your Google and you'll find 'em.

My point is that our politicians--present and former--are treating the war like just another opportunity for soundbites without thinking of the effect their words might have. In an earlier era we'd call comments like Gore's and Kennedy's "seditious."

And what I was saying in the comment you quotes is that defending Gore's actions today on the grounds that he played nice in 2000 is . . . well, it's not any sort of defense at all.

But if it's all you've got . . . go ahead. I'll ignore it.  :cool:

Edited by Drew, 28 May 2004 - 02:49 PM.

#19 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 02:48 PM

HubcapDave, on May 28 2004, 02:40 PM, said:

Besides, I remember that there was an independent count done of the florida ballots and it was determined that Bush would have won regardless.
Not just one. Many independent counts. And many of them done by Big Media.

And Gore didn't win a single one.

#20 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 02:55 PM

Drew, on May 28 2004, 07:46 PM, said:

HubcapDave, on May 28 2004, 02:40 PM, said:

Not just one. Many independent counts. And many of them done by Big Media.

And Gore didn't win a single one.
Er, no.

Reprinted from Newsday:  http://www.commondre...s01/1115-02.htm

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Al Gore, MoveOn, Anti-Bush, Politics-American

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users