Ohio Cincinnati 2004

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,889 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 02:35 PM

I don't usually post in OT, but I want to get this off my chest....

http://www.cincypost...cops052804.html

One day after City Council blasted Police Chief Thomas Streicher Jr.'s decision to let the Fox TV show tape Cincinnati police officers on patrol, Streicher rescinded the action....
Led by Vice Mayor Alicia Reece, some Council members said allowing "Cops" to tape here would spotlight Cincinnati's crime problems, including a rising homicide rate, at a time when the city is trying to recover from the 2001 riots and lure more businesses and conventions.

When I first saw this item, I was pleased that Cops wouldn't be coming to my hometown, since I find it a disturbing show.  It sickens me to see real people's suffering and strife exploited as "entertainment."

But on second thought, I was disturbed at the reasoning behind the Council's decision.  They're afraid of more negative publicity for the Cincy police.  And I think that's missing the point.  The publicity wouldn't be negative if the stuff it were covering weren't negative to begin with.   It feels like the council is more interested in covering up our city's police problems than fixing them.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#2 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:32 PM

They're afraid of more negative publicity for the Cincy police. And I think that's missing the point. The publicity wouldn't be negative if the stuff it were covering weren't negative to begin with.

I'm going to disagree with you there. Publicity has little relation to reality, particularly when racial issues are involved. Frequently, journalists write their stories, then look for facts that match 'em. With Cincy police, that's what's going to happen. The absurd coverage of the most recent incident-- where a drugged up criminal attacked police officers while uttering racial slurs and was labeled as the victim-- is a case in point.

As for Cops itself, I agree that it's sadism is rather distasteful. For the most part, however, it couldn't have happened to nicer people...
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#3 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,889 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 07:09 AM

Javert Rovinski, on May 30 2004, 12:30 AM, said:

I'm going to disagree with you there. Publicity has little relation to reality, particularly when racial issues are involved. Frequently, journalists write their stories, then look for facts that match 'em. With Cincy police, that's what's going to happen. The absurd coverage of the most recent incident-- where a drugged up criminal attacked police officers while uttering racial slurs and was labeled as the victim-- is a case in point.
Maybe, but it's a fact that Cincinnati police have killed well over a dozen African-American suspects and no white suspects in the past several years.  As I said, I have mixed feelings about this: you're right that the media aren't always objective and fair, and a sensationalist thing like Cops is not a trustworthy source; but there are massive problems with the Cincy PD, and that's true regardless of the media coverage.  Council should worry less about looking bad and more about doing good.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ohio, Cincinnati, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users