Obituaries Ronald Reagan President of US 2004

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 08:46 PM

I'm glad that he no longer has to suffer Alzheimer's, not knowing who he or anyone else is, where he is, etc. -- it's a very cruel disease, worse when people are strong physically and last so long with it, like Reagan and one of my grandmothers.

Unlike Chipper, I was around for all of his presidency and sometimes feel as if I remember every bit of it (in a scary way). I spent 8 years worrying that we'd be nuked at any moment...

I remember being at school when we were called to Assembly and told that there had been an attempted assassination on Reagan. The teachers were very upset. So was I, because I was very nationalistic at that age. I could've slapped the kids who started laughing, ignorantly thinking it was all very funny. :barf:

My respects for his service. May he RIP.
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#22 Darkside_1

Darkside_1

Your friendly Neighborhood Moderator.

• 3,094 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 09:45 PM

Godspeed, Mr. President.

Eternal life grant onto him and may perpetual light shine on him, may you rest in peace.

"Harry S. Truman said that he felt like a bale of hay fell on him.

I feel like I got the whole damn barn."

Darren "Condor" McGavin - "By Dawn's Early Light"

HBO TV Movie - 1990

*** (Click here to view my signature) ***

Posted Image

"A pound of supplies taken from your enemy is worth 10 pounds of your own supplies"
Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

#23 Banapis

Banapis

Tilting at Shadow Depositories

• Islander
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 10:52 PM

Rest in Peace, Mr. President.

Banapis

#24 Lord Ravensburg

Lord Ravensburg

All your lightsabers are belong to me

• Islander
  • 533 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 11:37 PM

One of my strongest memories from the 80's was Reagan's speech to the nation after the Challenger explosion.  Even now it's a very somber, bittersweet memory.  

Farewell, Mr. President...

#25 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 11:46 PM

The merits and faults of the Reagan Legacy will be debated from years and centuries after even we are gone.

One of the few thing I will admire Reagan for is his taking the hard line with the Soviets, he didn't wanna make nicey-nice with them and early in his adminastration rightfully called the USSR the evil empire.

Of course many will say that the USSR was on the decline and they were partially right but Reagan quickened the collapse again many will state that hurt us economically they may be right.

Then there was the Iran/Contra scandal among others that will cast him in a negative light.

But the final ten years of his life he battled Alzheimer's disease, that is a condition I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Rest In Peace Ronald Wilson Reagan.

-cs™

#26 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 11:54 PM

Classy <Please don't turn this into a political thread, though>
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#27 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 12:02 AM

Definitely a mark of class, oh believe me JR I wasn't trying to.

-cs™

#28 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 12:22 AM

Rest in peace Mr. President.  You left your mark upon the world and led this nation through interesting times.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#29 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 02:50 AM

One of my strongest memories from the 80's was Reagan's speech to the nation after the Challenger explosion. Even now it's a very somber, bittersweet memory.

*sniffle* I loved his quoting "slipped the surly bonds of earth and touched the face of God."
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#30 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 03:01 AM

Spotted this on the news just after I watched the Belmont, and not having to go through Alzheimer's any more is definitely a good thing.... :(
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#31 Ilphi

Ilphi
  • Islander
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 03:35 AM

Tributes from world, and former world, leaders. More can be found at BBC here.

US President George W Bush
This is a sad hour in the life of America. A great American life has come to an end.

Ronald Reagan won America's respect with his greatness, and won its love with his goodness. He had the confidence that comes with conviction, the strength that comes with character, the grace that comes with humility, and the humour that comes with wisdom.

He leaves behind a nation he restored and a world he helped save.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair

At home, his vision and leadership restored national self-confidence and brought some significant changes to US politics.

Abroad, the negotiations of arms control agreements in his second term and his statesmanlike pursuit of more stable relations with the Soviet Union helped bring about the end of the Cold War.

Former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher

President Reagan was one of my closest political and dearest personal friends.

He will be missed not only by those who knew him, and not only by the nation that he served so proudly and loved so deeply, but also by millions of men and women who live in freedom today because of the policies he pursued.

Ronald Reagan had a higher claim than any other leader to have won the Cold War for liberty, and he did it without a shot being fired.

To have achieved so much against so many odds and with such humour and humanity made Ronald Reagan a truly great American hero.

Most interestingly:

Former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev

I feel deep regret. For me, Ronald Reagan is a great president.

I do not know how other officials would have acted in his place at that moment, because the situation was very tense. Reagan, who was considered to be far-right, made steps toward us, and herein lies his credit.

Yea, ere my hot youth pass, I speak to my people and say:
Ye shall be foolish as I; ye shall scatter, not save;
Ye shall venture your all, lest ye lose what is more than all;
Ye shall call for a miracle, taking Christ at His word.
And for this I will answer, O people, answer here and hereafter,
The Fool - Padraic Pearse

#32 Aurelius

Aurelius

Master of the Empire

• Islander
  • 803 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 07:59 AM

Rest in Peace President Reagan. You've earned it sir.

God Bless!

Hail All
Aurelius
"If I had all the answers, I'd run for God"
Cpl. Max Klinger, M*A*S*H

#33 achile444

achile444

Mashmallow Man

• Islander
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 12:16 PM

I was too young to remember him even in Canada, BUT Rest In Peace Mr. President-actor

Edited by achile444, 06 June 2004 - 12:16 PM.

Poosy? Poopsy? where are you? Poopsy?

#34 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 02:46 PM

I was a child during his presidency but I still remember the speeches and the meeetings and so much more. I hope he has found peace after experiencing a horror I would wish on no one.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#35 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 07 June 2004 - 09:18 PM

Poor Mrs. Reagan... :(

I was looking at her a few minutes ago, placing her cheek on the coffin of her husband, and she had that lost look on her face. It broke my heart, because I know what she's going through. :( I see that look on my mom's face often. It's hard to believe it's going to be three years since my dad passed away...

The minister who was with Mrs. Regan told her that it will "get easier" with time, or something to that effect.

Bullsh!t!!!  :glare:

I hate, hate, HATE it when people say it gets "easier" with time.  :angry: Dammit, there is NOTHING easy about losing a loved one. A MUCH better word is "bearable". Using the word, "easier" is a tremendous insult to me, because it treats grief as flippant.

"Bearable" is more realistic-and it doesn't sound as flippant. And it's not always bearable either. I swear, whenever I hear people say that dealing with grief gets "easier" with time, I have this incredible urge to knock their teeth out.

:angry:

Edited by 2112st, 07 June 2004 - 09:25 PM.

#36 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 09:59 PM

I think when people say "it will get easier" they are honestly trying to help.  I agree with you however that it's just not true and that bearable is a much more apt word.
Posted Image

#37 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 10:12 PM

I didn't see him say anything, after her head came up. :unsure:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#38 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 07 June 2004 - 10:25 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jun 8 2004, 02:57 AM, said:

I think when people say "it will get easier" they are honestly trying to help.  I agree with you however that it's just not true and that bearable is a much more apt word.
I can't help it Lil-hearing people say that is like waving a red flag in front of a bull. It's flippant and insensitive to me.  :angry:

As I said, my mother cries every other day. She was married for 40 years.

Easier, my ass.

People need to think first before they try and help someone.

:glare:

(edited for clarity)

Edited by 2112st, 07 June 2004 - 10:27 PM.

#39 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 07 June 2004 - 10:26 PM

DWF, on Jun 8 2004, 03:10 AM, said:

I didn't see him say anything, after her head came up. :unsure:
Off CNN, I believe-and a reporter was talking about what was happening there.

#40 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 10:35 PM

2112st, on Jun 7 2004, 08:23 PM, said:

Una Salus Lillius, on Jun 8 2004, 02:57 AM, said:

I think when people say "it will get easier" they are honestly trying to help. I agree with you however that it's just not true and that bearable is a much more apt word.
I can't help it Lil-hearing people say that is like waving a red flag in front of a bull. It's flippant and insensitive to me.  :angry:

As I said, my mother cries every other day. She was married for 40 years.

Easier, my ass.

People need to think first before they try and help someone.

:glare:

(edited for clarity)
In a perfect world.  However I don't know many people that are at their best when dealing with death (of any kind let alone the death of a former president who they may have greatly admired).
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Ronald Reagan, President of US, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users