Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

How do you perceive yourself

OT Politics Self-perception

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: *Overall* how do you perceive yourself? (71 member(s) have cast votes)

*Overall* how do you perceive yourself?

1. Extremely Conservative (2 votes [2.82%])

Percentage of vote: 2.82%

2. Mostly Conservative (13 votes [18.31%])

Percentage of vote: 18.31%

3. Moderately Conservative (12 votes [16.90%])

Percentage of vote: 16.90%

4. Dead-Center Moderate (4 votes [5.63%])

Percentage of vote: 5.63%

5. Moderately Liberal (8 votes [11.27%])

Percentage of vote: 11.27%

6. Mostly Liberal (16 votes [22.54%])

Percentage of vote: 22.54%

7. Extremely Liberal (4 votes [5.63%])

Percentage of vote: 5.63%

8. Nonchalant, but oh so dashing! (12 votes [16.90%])

Percentage of vote: 16.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 02:58 PM

We've done liberal/conservative polls before, but I don't think we've had one with a range like this . . . Average out your views as best you can (example:  I consider myself socially liberal, but fiscally conservative . . . but I went with an overall "moderately liberal")

-Nick

#2 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 03:01 PM

The "nonchalant, but oh so dashing!" option was too good to pass up. ;) I think that's just a fancy way of saying "passive-aggressive", but I don't know. :D

Seriously, though, I have no idea where I sit on the spectrum. Bleeding-heart conservative, maybe? :lol:

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#3 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 03:14 PM

^Draw your own interpretation.  When I wrote it, I meant "dashing" as "showy, elegant, fashionable".  But go with whichever you like. :)

-Nick

#4 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 03:19 PM

^ Hey, those work too! ;)

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#5 gaius claudius

gaius claudius

I'm bringing the sexy back!!

• Islander
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 04:38 PM

I would have been happier if there was a box for

Dead F#ckin' Sexy Beast

gc :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:
“I seek the truth...it is only persistence in self-delusion and ignorance that does harm.”
- Marcus Aurelius

King Mob 42

#6 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 04:44 PM

I think I've become more conservative with age as some of the more liberal perfectability of humanity thought was knocked out of me by various life experiences. So I went from probably the slighly liberal to a little farther towards the other end.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#7 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 05:10 PM

I've often said I don't know whether to ID myself as a Liberal Conservative or a Conservative Liberal so I went for the Dead Center option. I once heard someone say people like me did that because they couildn't defend their convictions but I disagree with that strongly. I find I have very strong convictions about many things and on both ends of the spectrum. I would not describe myself as an activist but that still doesn't mean I can't have strong convictions about things.

Ani
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#8 QuiGon John

QuiGon John

Gone

• Islander
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 05:55 PM

I went with "Moderately Conservative," mostly because I would have felt guilty going with "Dead-Center Moderate."  A better term for my personal politics might have been "wishy-washy."  I never know who's right about stuff... ;)

#9 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 05:59 PM

Looks like i'm the first ot admin that I am extremely liberal...as if you guys hadn't figured that out yet!

Cheers
Chaddee
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#10 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 06:10 PM

I went with Mostly Conservative
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#11 gaius claudius

gaius claudius

I'm bringing the sexy back!!

• Islander
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 06:34 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Jun 17 2004, 07:08 PM, said:

There's a shocker... :D

gc  :devil:
“I seek the truth...it is only persistence in self-delusion and ignorance that does harm.”
- Marcus Aurelius

King Mob 42

#12 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 08:29 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Jun 17 2004, 07:08 PM, said:

I *never* would've guessed! :p

;)

Skyler said:

I went with "Moderately Conservative," mostly because I would have felt guilty going with "Dead-Center Moderate." A better term for my personal politics might have been "wishy-washy." I never know who's right about stuff...

There's nothing wrong with perceiving yourself as "moderate".  There's no way to accurately reflect a person's full ideology with simple labels like "liberal" or "conservative".  I'm sure I come off as pretty rabidly liberal most of the time, but I mostly debate social issues.  However, I'm a die-hard fiscal conservative.  I'm not a fan of universal healthcare or even medicare/medicaid and social security.  If I were king for a day, I'd probably fire and shut down half of the government . . . and then legalize gay marriage. :p

:D

It's not wishy-washy to have strong viewpoints on both sides of the spectrum.  It's not really caring either way that makes a person wishy washy.

-Nick

#13 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 08:59 PM

LOL! I see a fair number of other folks refuse to be pigeon-holed - color me nonchalant.  :cool:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#14 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 09:05 PM

Moderately conservative.

On social issues, I'm about as libertarian as I come. On economics and defense issues, however, I've been pushed rightward. On the balance, that works out as slightly conservative, I s'pose. Minus the gay thing, I'm extremely close to Andrew Sullivan.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#15 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 09:52 PM

I voted extremely conservative of course.  What?  Like *anyone's* surprised.

j/k Nick I wouldn't screw up your poll like that.  I voted mostly liberal.
Posted Image

#16 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,328 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 10:00 PM

Mostly conservative.
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#17 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 10:10 PM

Mostly Conservative.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#18 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 10:16 PM

Nick, on Jun 17 2004, 08:27 PM, said:

It's not wishy-washy to have strong viewpoints on both sides of the spectrum.  It's not really caring either way that makes a person wishy washy.

-Nick
Seems like at least we agree here Nick

#19 Rommie's Ronin

Rommie's Ronin

Out Of The Silent Planet

• Islander
  • 815 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 10:17 PM

Moderately Liberal.  I'm open-minded, but not so much that my brains fall out. :D
"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been and never will be." ---John Wayne

http://www.smokingse...n.com/swafr.htm

#20 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 10:17 PM

Extremely Conservative
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT, Politics, Self-perception

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users