The Best Science Links

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 03:25 AM

I used to have a great collection of links to science-related magazines, message boards and web pages, but about a year ago my computer got a virus and crashed (multiple times), and one of the casualties was the mailbox.ini (or whatever it's called) file that stored all of Opera's bookmarks.

So I'm building a new collection of science related links, and I was wondering if the folks here at EtU could help me find some really good ones. I've got the major magazines (Sci Am, New Scientist, Discover, American Scientist) down, but I can't remember the names of all those obscure magazines, eccentric web sites, and wonderful news filter pages that are full of the good stuff, and I've completely forgotten the addresses of all those cool message boards where people debate Bell's Theorem and other equally abstruse esoterica. So do you have any good links? If it's science related, I'd love to hear about it. :)

Here's the list so far:

Magazines and Media:
Discover
Scientific American
Popular Science
American Scientist
New Scientist
Astrobiology Magazine
Nature
The Atlantic/Science & Technology Section
Slashdot's Science Section
New York Times science section
BBC News Science/Nature
CNN Science/Space

Organizations:
DARPA
NASA
MIT Open Courseware
MIT Media Lab
Smithsonian
National Science Foundation
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Nobel e-museum
National Space Society

Directories and Portals:
American Scientist's Site of The Week Archive Has lots of other links!
Google Directory - Science
Yahoo Directory - Science
Open Directory - Science Links
Fermilab - Inquiring Minds Links
Spectrum of Physics
Insectopedia Research Portal

Artifical Intelligence:
KurzweilAI.net I love this one.
Marvin Minsky's Home Page

Nanotech:
Foresight Institute - Learn About Nanotech You can find the complete text of Drexler's "Engines of Creation" here

Climate:
Global Climate Change Information

Math:
The Mathematical Atlas
Strategy and Conflict: An Introductory Sketch of Game Theory Part of a textbook.
GameTheory.net

Biology:
National Center for Biotechnology Information

Physics:

General Subject And Textbooks:
Hyperphysics Concepts Basic physics taught in a new kind of way.
College Physics for Students of Biology and Chemistry A textbook with some math. Introductory stuff.
Greg Egan's "Foundations" articles One of the best resources out there. Read this and learn! ;)
NASA Breakthrough Propulsion Physics (BPP) Project - Public Information Site Another classic.
Physics Forums
Physics Web
Physics 1501 - Modern Technology Entry level physics course notes.
Advanced Physics Made Simple Maybe a little too simple, but this is a nice entry level starting point.
Usenet Physics FAQ

Classical Mechanics:
Newtonian Mechanics Part of a larger work.
Physics For Beginners
Physics 1 Online Course Outline
Maple Power Tools - Classical Mechanics Lots of stuff here, but you need  Maple to use it.
Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics -- A short introduction

Thermodynamics:
Thermodynamics And Statistical Physics A collection of informative links.
The Second Law of Thermodynamics
Hyperphysics Concepts - Thermodynamics Part of A Larger Site
Applied Thermodynamics

Statistical Physics:
History and outlook of statistical physics A comprehensive overview presented as real scientific paper. .pdf download.
Wikipedia - Statistical Mechanics I've tried to avoid using Wikipedia in this list, but their entry is one of the better resources on the web.
Draft chapters of Thermal and Statistical Physics Lecture notes for an undergraduate course in Stat Phys. Good starting point. .pdf downloads.
Statistical Mechanics In A Nutshell A textbook.

Electromagnetism:
Electromagnetics A simple introduction to some basic concepts.
Sketches of a History of
Classical Electromagnetism
The way it began.
Electricity And Magnetism Lecture Notes For An Introductory Course
Another undergraduate course.
Electromagnetic Field Theory Internet Textbook Project
Gallery of Electromagnetism Visualize Abstract Concepts With Applets
Physics 200 Learn about electromagnetism and quantum mechanics through interactive java applets.
Maxwell's Equations

Particle Physics:
The Particle Adventure

String Theory:
The Official String Theory Web Site

Special Relativity:
Lessons on Special Relativity No calculus, no tears.

The Rest:
"Alternate View" columns by John G. Cramer I once read a hard SF novel that used many of Cramer's ideas in the plot, apparently lifted right from this webpage. This is a "must read" resource for writers.
Clifford A Pickover's Homepage
Hutchison Effect Online Not really science, but damn fascinating. If half of the stories about this guy are true, he might be up there with Tesla.
Science Book Guide Can give you some ideas for offline paper book reading.
Phil Sci Archive Real scientific papers on a variety of subjects.
Real scientific papers, and lots of 'em. A big resource.

Edited by Kevin Street, 24 March 2005 - 04:12 PM.

Per aspera ad astra

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,825 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 07:45 PM

Wow, great list.  I should pin this to the top.  And I can add a few more:

Nanotech:
Wil McCarthy's Programmable Matter FAQ

Physics:

Astronomy:
Hipparcos Sky Survey
Internet Stellar Database
An Atlas of the Universe
NASA's Origins Program
Advanced Propulsion Concepts
C-ship: Relativistic flight simulator, sort of.
Inflation for Beginners: About the origin of the universe, not blowing up balloons. ;)
Marcelo B. Ribeiro's Page on "Warp Drive Theory"

Quantum Physics:
Centre for Quantum Computation
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#3 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 08:47 PM

:eek3:

SOHO... NASA's unmanned solar observatory, with info about ongoing solar studies

"Animal Diversity Web"... reference site; no research there, but good definintions, descriptions, and illustrations in zoology (some pages recently unavailable due to site reconstruction)

"Taxon Lift"... ADW's counterpart site, with biological & taxonomic stuff on all 5 kingdoms

Edited by Delvo, 18 June 2004 - 08:48 PM.

#4 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,503 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 02:30 AM

This is just a quick post.  Does www.space.com not fit in there somewhere?  If I'm not mistaken, that is where most of the Yahoo and MSN stories come from.  Also, not that I have any particular links to specific destinations, but I would think there should be several Washington University (of Saint Louis) links up there.  So much stuff comes out of there its mind boggling.  They are also the command center for a lot of projects.  Just a thought.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#5 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 05:28 PM

Hmm... Maybe.

Thanks for the links, guys. :) I'm going to rework the list in the future and include some more links, but not for a while.

#6 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 07:50 PM

For medical matters & human physiology... Web MD

#7 Zanthra

Zanthra
  • Islander
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 05:41 PM

I personally like http://www.emedicine.com for medical information myself.  It has very technical articles on different conditions, and has the handy ability to double click a word and have it look up a definition for you.

For Solar Physics I suggest http://solar-center.stanford.edu/ mainly because I worked for the people who managed that site.

A great Relativity FAQ that is understandable is at the Gravity Probe B website at http://einstein.stanford.edu/ under the Gravity Probe B classroom, although it is in a frame.

(Edit: Delvo mentioned this one already.)  And for some great Solar Pictures, there is always the SOHO website.  http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/

Edited by Zanthra, 24 September 2004 - 05:42 PM.

#8 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 05:00 PM

here's some nice oceanography stuff, links, various areas of the world-- and it also links back to the Virtual library Earth sciences, or other VL links and stuff.
(are we still adding to this thread?)
:Oo:
oceanography links
-many links to explore-
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#9 misterMel_Q

misterMel_Q
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 08:00 PM

Fun and informative-
www.badastronomy.com

Edited by misterMel_Q, 10 November 2004 - 08:01 PM.

#10 c3dlc

c3dlc
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:33 AM

Link removed

Edited by Juris Rovvius, 09 May 2005 - 08:40 AM.

#11 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 04:48 AM

I thought I add www.talkorigins.com to the list. It's a fascinating resource that deals with a lot of issues brought up in relationship to creationism, and is a very good resource for things related to biology, astrophysics and science in general

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#12 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 01:50 PM

Thanks everybody! I'll update the main list with your links soon.

#13 liath

liath

Mmmm prettyful

• Islander
  • 649 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 11:21 AM

There is a new New Scientist website just about space and related topics. www.newscientistspace.com
Come to the dark side, we have chocolate!

Formerly reul-bhuidhinn

Offer me solutions, offer me alternatives
And I decline - REM

#14 3C273

3C273
  • Islander
  • 345 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:25 PM

There is a site funded by the National Science Foundation geared to the general public and educators from elementary to undergraduate level called "Understanding Science" at www.undsci.berkeley.edu

#15 susie

susie
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:21 AM

http://www.sapub.org...urnalslist.aspx .maybe this web what you can find you want it

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users