Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 07:14 PM

I've been meaning for years to read MZB's Darkover series, but part of my hesitation is that I really can't decide what order in which to read them. Some say that series chronological order works best; others say that the order in which she wrote them is better, so one can see how her ideas evolved.

Can anyone here advise me on the best reading order? Thanks.

Edited by Norville, 20 June 2004 - 07:15 PM.

"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

#2 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 7,307 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 07:33 PM

Ermmm ... well, I think (if you have the opportunity) try reading them in the order they were written.

The early works are fairly self-contained and quick reads, and from there you can determine whether or not you wish to continue through the series.

The problem with reading in chronological order is that, quite frankly, she tends to recycle names, and at times the internal chronology gets confused.  And some people argue that the details also get confused.

One thing that may help is to surf the net, and find the Darkover pages that go provide the details of the books and world.  I found them to be a great help.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#3 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 31,782 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 07:37 PM

Read them in one order, then re-read them in the other order. :D
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel
Written Worlds -- My blog
Facebook Author Page

#4 parisindy

parisindy

Uglier then homemade soup

• Islander
  • 8,032 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 07:39 PM

there's way to many i lost track of any order....even if there was one

go read robin hobb instead...  :love:
Hope Lives again, serving the pro-Andromeda fandom!!
Totally DBD!

"God bless Einstein, but I had to boost his theory just a little."
-Harper, Decay of the Angel

Remember that a good friend will come and  bail you out of
jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
       "Damn...that was fun!"
Posted Image proud member of the Celtic Kelp... 7672.5 miles and counting Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#5 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 07:48 PM

I read the Darkover series as she wrote each book - and I feel that it is the best order to first read the series in ...then read it in chronological order.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#6 maryavatar

maryavatar

Peachy

• Islander
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 07:58 PM

It doesn't really matter, I read bits and pieces all over the place.  MZB's early writing is, to be honest, a bit crap.  If you start reading her early stuff first, you'll probably get frustrated and chuck the books in the bin.  She had a bad habit of tying up all the ends in a big exposionary chunk in the last couple of pages.  The only ones I think should be read together are:

The Shattered Chain, Thendarda House and City of Sorcery.

The Spell Sword and The Forbidden Tower.

The Heritage of Hastur, Sharra's Exile, The World Wreckers, Exile's Song, The Shadow Matrix and Traitor's Sun.

I really don't know what to recommend you read first, since a lot of the later, and better, books refer back to earlier events.  I suppose The Heritage of Hastur; it's not a great book, but the rest of the series is much better.

If you'd rather read them in the order she wrote them, here's the list:

The Planet Savers (1962)
The Bloody Sun (1964)
Star of Danger (1965)
World Wreckers (1971)
Darkover Landfall (1972)
The Spell Sword (1974)
The Heritage of Hastur (1975)
The Shattered Chain (1976)
The Forbidden Tower (1977)
Winds of Darkover (1977)
Stormqueen! (1978) (with Paul Edwin Zimmer)
Two to Conquer (1980)
Sharra's Exile (1981)
Hawkmistress! (1982)
Thendara House (1983)
City of Sorcery (1984)
Star of Danger (1985)
The Heirs of Hammerfell (1989)
Rediscovery (1993) (with Mercedes R Lackey)
Exile's Song (1996) (with Adrienne Martine-Barnes)
The Shadow Matrix (1997) (with Adrienne Martine-Barnes)
Traitor's Sun (1999) (with Adrienne Martine-Barnes)

And here's Darkover chronology

Darkover Landfall
Stormqueen!
Hawkmistress
Two to Conquer
The Heirs of Hammerfell
Rediscovery
The Shattered Chain (first part)
The Spell Sword
The Forbidden Tower
The Shattered Chain (second and third parts)
Thendara House
City of Sorcery
Star of Danger
The Winds of Darkover
The Bloody Sun
The Heritage of Hastur
The Planet Savers
Sharra's Exile
The World Wreckers
Exile's Song
The Shadow Matrix
Traitor's Sun
"When God made the arse, he didn't say, 'Hey, it's just your basic hinge, let's knock off early.' He said, 'Behold ye angels, I have created the arse. Throughout the ages to come, men and women shall grab hold of these, and shout my name.'"

#7 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 10:14 PM

^
Mary, are there two editions of Star of Danger?  It's on the list twice, as a 1965 and as a 1985.  Our copy is definitely earlier--her writing style back in the sixties looked quite a bit different than what we saw in, say, the Renunciate novels.

Personally, though, Norville, I'd recommend reading them in chronological order.  I've done that a few times (although I tend to leave out Star of Danger and Winds of Darkover, as well as Planet Savers and Heirs of Hammerfell, the latter two because we didn't have a copy of those for quite a while).
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#8 parisindy

parisindy

Uglier then homemade soup

• Islander
  • 8,032 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 10:26 PM

star of danger and The Forbidden Tower are both really good
Hope Lives again, serving the pro-Andromeda fandom!!
Totally DBD!

"God bless Einstein, but I had to boost his theory just a little."
-Harper, Decay of the Angel

Remember that a good friend will come and  bail you out of
jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
       "Damn...that was fun!"
Posted Image proud member of the Celtic Kelp... 7672.5 miles and counting Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#9 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 11:06 PM

Christopher said:

Read them in one order, then re-read them in the other order. :D

...Which would make sense if I had nothing else to read in my life, but the sheer amount of books I must read prevents me from rereading, most of the time.

Bless you, maryavatar, for making those lists. I probably should've said in my first post that I'd already researched the publication order and the Darkovan chronology order, and therefore have a list of both of those, complete with a bunch of notes I made while finding the books. ;)

Anakam said:

are there two editions of Star of Danger?

My lists don't say so, though she did write The Bloody Sun in 1965 and rewrite it to be republished in 1979.
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

#10 KRAD

KRAD

just smile and wave, boys -- smile and wave

• Demigod
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 01:11 AM

I'd advise left to right, myself....

*ducking and running*
Keith R.A. DeCandido
keith@decandido.net