7 replies to this topic

#1 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 08:29 AM

Blix 'hid smoking gun' from Britain and US

This sort of brings up an interesting point on the politics of inspections.  Are the inspectors going to go so far with making sure that they are allowed to inspect and war doesn’t happen that they will start to attempt to neglect mentioning details in some forums.

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 10 March 2003 - 08:29 AM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#2 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 08:46 AM

Honest to God, Aegis, if they go to war over one undeclared drone, I will be ever so pissed.

That's how stupid this whole thing is. They have to *LOOK* for reasons to blow this guy up. How hard have they been looking to find something the damned INSPECTORS didn't????

They need to stop looking for excuses, stop pissing me off, and just blow the guy up already, for love of God, before I start unilaterally kicking his ass just to shut y'all up about him....

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#3 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 03:56 PM

the'Hawk, on Mar 10 2003, 05:43 AM, said:

How hard have they been looking to find something the damned INSPECTORS didn't????
Actually the point of the article is the inspectors knew about it and Blix didn’t tell anyone in his oral report.  Then the information was itself buried in the technical data.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""

#4 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 09:16 PM

Politics, politics, everywhere  :eek2:

Bush is hot to trot for reasons I believe are as yet undisclosed. Russia and France don't want war because they get their oil from Iraq. As for Blix, I'm a little surprised, but I'm cynic enough not to be overly surprised.

I have a feeling that we"ll never know 99% of what's going on right now.

Edited by Rhea, 10 March 2003 - 09:19 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#5 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 09:23 PM

Umm ... the other inspector, that we don't see in the press conferences and such any longer ... he was so charming ... he was leaking info to Iraq, so they knew ahead of time where and when inspections would take place.

The whole thing disgusts me. Either go to war and blow them all to kingdom come, or shut up and let the rest of us get on with life.

#6 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 10:16 PM

As a certain politically-incorrect radio host pointed out back in NOVEMBER, the purpose of the inspectors is to avoid war at all costs. And that includes ignoring or downplaying evidence they uncover by accident. Hans Blix represents France and Germany, it's no wonder Saddam personally approved an inspection team led by this man. Hans Blix failed to find anything before, he's loved by the Iraqi regime.

Goodness, back in December they went to an Iraqi scientist's home, where he had hidden documents about their nuclear program, and several warhead molds. This wasn't supposed to happen, yet the inspectors couldn't undiscover it. So what to do? Downplay it as a violation of 1441, or any other resolution.

I like how Hans Blix complained that several of the U.S. intelligence tips they "followed up on" couldn't be confirmed. Gee, the caravan of UN vehicles with guys in blue UN helmets couldn't catch up to anything. What a shocker! I urge giving Inspector Clouseau and his group 1-hour notice before the bombing starts. Idiots.

-Ogami

#7 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 10:31 PM

Nothing the UN does surprises me anymore...

Although, I have to wonder...

Are we paying Blix by the hour?
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#8 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 01:20 AM

jon3831, on Mar 10 2003, 07:28 PM, said:

Although, I have to wonder...

Are we paying Blix by the hour?
You know you do have a point there....
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Iraq, Road to War, Blix, Inspectors, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users