TrekExpo 2004

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 03:00 PM

I know this weekend wiped me out. It was fun.

Safari Joe's was lots of fun as usual and this year we got photos taken with a 6 month old white tiger, Charlie.

Attached Images

• charlie2.jpg

Edited by Shoshana, 07 July 2004 - 02:18 AM.

#2 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 03:11 PM

There were a lot of other animals there too ... an albino (yellow) snake called Banana, all the big cats plus more, red deer, bison, wolves, birds, a zebra, camels and more.

And Joe :) of course.

We had a cookout that was really nice. Lots of liquids so we didn't dehydrate and a hayride around the place. :)

The next day we went to the AndromedaFest where we played MadLibs, which KRAD read very well for us (he didn't crack up once), we caught up on each other's lives, we checked out the raffle and auction items and then went to Golden Corral for dinner. Yum.

Then back to the hotel for the raffle and auction. Lots of cool stuff, and I scored a very *very* nice  :devil: Kevin Sorbo autographed pic. Black and white shot - maybe a model shoot? Dunno - not a Herc or 'Drom photo - for sure a Kevin publicity photo...

I have pics of the Afest ( :lol:  ) but I need to make sure it's ok with people to post their pic...

Edited by Shoshana, 23 June 2004 - 03:30 PM.

#3 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 03:21 PM

Saturday was the first day I attended TrekExpo. it was a bit smaller than in previous years - the economy I guess.

First guest I saw was Penny Johnson Jerald.  She was entertaining and very interesting.

Edited by Shoshana, 23 June 2004 - 03:21 PM.

#4 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 03:29 PM

Next was Ron Perlman. He was funny. It sounded like his very favorite role was as "Hellboy".

It was funny - the guys in the audience were there because of "Hellboy", the girls because of "Beauty and the Beast"...

#5 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 03:40 PM

Next was promo for Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. They had one of the actresses there, a Chinese actress I wasn't familiar with, Bai Ling . I'm not sure how big a role she has, but she's cute and real flirty. Apparently she has six movies coming out soon.... including the next Star Wars movie.

Edited by Shoshana, 23 June 2004 - 03:40 PM.

#6 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 03:51 PM

After that was a three song set by Ronnie Cox and his band - a preview of the Saturday Night Concert. They were quite good - I'm not sure what the musical style is called... sorta bluegrass, Irish, country? Dunno ;)

But very very good.

#7 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 03:58 PM

Brent Spiner was on next. I thought he was hysterically funny, but some thought he was too sarcastic.

I'd previously seen him at the "Shooting Stars" booth where the stars got their photos taken with con attendees and I got a couple of pics there.

The official QA sessions have a stage with minimal lighting and a black curtain... difficult to get good photos. Especially when a good 90% of the guests are wearing black!

Edited by Shoshana, 23 June 2004 - 04:00 PM.

#8 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 04:16 PM

'shana your pic of Charlie is delightful, he is a real cutie. I keep looking at those huge paws and imaging how big he is eventually going to get.

Ani
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#9 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 04:24 PM

^  :lol: He'll be BIG.

#10 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 04:48 PM

Puhleeze, ma'am .... I want more!!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#11 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 05:20 PM

lol w/ Shamba...

After Brent was autographs, The Auction, Supper w/ The Stars and Ronny Cox's concert. I didn't go to any of that - RichieAvatar and KRAD did tho ...

Me'n a whole crew of people went back to the hotel. We met up in the Hositality suite and decided we were hungry. Now. ;)

We marched down to the resturant (sp) only to find it was closed already, so we went to the bar to eat. Food was good. DJ getting ready for a reception was not.

Side note: lots of us hung out at the bar Friday night and saw several Expo guests. We didn't see any while we were eating dinner. Themis checked out the upscale eatery at the hotel and saw Brent Spiner.

After that we hung out on the hospitality suite and waited for info about Lexa and Michael's delayed flight. There was a possibility that they'd take in Safari Joe's Sunday am, but the later it went the less likely that became.

Sunday am I ate at the hotel buffet. Early - because it was father's day and was gonna get crazy later.

Went to Trek Expo Teryl Rothery was on when I got there.

She's bouncy, funny and great with a southern hick accent.

She had an amazingly funny story about a catsuit, alien eyes and actors staring at her chest. I can't do it justice - I was too busy taking photos - this one of her acting out the funny story w/ TrekExpo's emancee

Edited by Shoshana, 23 June 2004 - 05:21 PM.

#12 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 05:22 PM

OK - I thought I inhaled alot of caffeine. Teryl must mainline it.  :D

She was all over the place. Literally. Jumping off the stage. Running up the right hand bleachers. Running across to the left hand bleachers...

Edited by Shoshana, 23 June 2004 - 05:29 PM.

#13 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 05:36 PM

Katee Sackhoff was on next. She's really young and had never actually seen Battlestar Galactica before she was cast as Starbuck...

#14 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 05:39 PM

Autographs with Lexa and Michael. Wow. So nice. They stayed till everyone in line had their autograph, and they personalized all of them. Gracious, nice people.

'shanaBarbie got to meet them both...

Edited by Shoshana, 23 June 2004 - 05:44 PM.

#15 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 05:47 PM

and they both seemed very amused!

#16 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 05:48 PM

Michael, Lexa and shanabarbie ---- :lol:  :D

Teryl is exhausting to watch!  She is not bubbly or perky but the top end of both of those things!

Her jumpsuit story had to do with her playing an alien whose eyes were on a level just below the nipple line.    :blush:  :eek2:   She was supposed to be playing one of those creatures that's above humans and the Gouald --- they look like the sterotypical alien is supposed to --- can't think of what they're called on the show??
They're not very tall actually ...

There was something in her talk about how somebody wanted to have the eyes raised up on the suit to about even with the nipple line  :eh:  :look: ... and she made jokes about Don Davis and some others--male of course--being able to look at these eyes on her costume as much as possible to address the character without having to look away!!
:sneaky:  :lol:

Edited by shambalayogi, 23 June 2004 - 05:51 PM.

Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#17 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 05:55 PM

{{{Shamba}}}

After that was Ronnie Cox. I have photos, but he still looks like he did in the one I posted further upthread.

John Billingsley... wow.  He's different

#18 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 06:12 PM

Hmm... ok after that I wandered back into the dealer's room where I bought a couple of books from our own KRAD, And he signed 'em. :)

I got pics of KRAD and his friend Tammy but I need to track them down and get an ok to post em.

I ambushed Andie, Arkie and Val and got a couple of photos of them  :devil:

Then I wandered outside and caught the smoking section in action.

Kat and her daughter and fiance got caught on camera too.

{{{Shamba}}} had to leave so we all hugged her goodbye and wished her a safe trip home.

Then I went back inside I saw Lexa... from the Gold Section since ///DrDoom let me borrow his seat pass. (Muy thanks! I was exhausted by that time and my knees were black and blue from kneeling on the cement in the center aisle ... not that I didn't pop out a few times and take more photos from there!)

Lexa was very animated and looked great. This was her second con, but she sure didn't act nervous.

She was funny and had lots of comments about the stutter step Kevin uses every time he starts to run, the 'puffing up' when there's a new female guest star and of course there were the 'force lance' jokes...

Edited by Shoshana, 23 June 2004 - 07:25 PM.

#19 KRAD

KRAD

just smile and wave, boys -- smile and wave

• Demigod
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 07:01 PM

I got pics of KRAD and his friend Terri

Just to set the record straight, the friend who was with me in Tulsa is named Tammy. Terri is my girlfriend and the love of my life, who will be there with me next year. This year, she had to stay home to take care of our dying cat.   :(

Tammy's a buddy of mine from way back -- she designed the specs for the I.K.S. Gorkon that appeared in the back of The Brave and the Bold Book 2. She kindly came down from Michigan to help me out with the table.
Keith R.A. DeCandido
keith@decandido.net
www.DeCandido.net
kradical.livejournal.com

"Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk."
---Tom Waits, "Heartattack and Vine"

#20 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 07:24 PM

Oops! I'm sorry!  :blush:

I knew she was your friend, but I did get the names confused. I'll go edit!

--------------------

I got permission... here's KRAD :) and the remains of the piles of books he brought with him...

Edited by Shoshana, 23 June 2004 - 09:56 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users