13 replies to this topic

#1 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 01:31 PM

40,000 protest Bush in Turkey
http://www.cnn.com/2...t.ap/index.html

The protest in the Kadikoy district, on the Asian side of Istanbul, attracted more than 40,000 people, mostly members of leftist groups, police said.

There were some 100 foreign protesters from Greece, Britain, The Netherlands, Portugal and Syria.

"We want to throw NATO out of Istanbul," said Dogan Aytac, a Turkish protester with a flag in his hat that read: "Get out Bush!"

and

They carried banners, reading: "Down with American Imperialism," and "Go away Bush!"

Greenpeace activists carried signs against nuclear weapons. Others chanted in English: "Yankees Go Home!"

#2 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 01:34 PM

Well they will need a strong war hero as well as a strong forigen policy guy.  Maybe someone to appeal to the common man. Strong domestic qualities would help.  Sounds like we need 30 or 40 guys to just be VP.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#3 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 03:57 PM

G1223 wrote:

Strong domestic qualities would help.

That leaves out Hillary Clinton.  :whistle:

-Ogami

#4 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 08:43 PM

I think Jack Ryan might be out of work, shorty and I don't think his own party will want him anymore. :whistle:  ;)
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#5 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 09:36 PM

Who's Jack Ryan? You mean the Tom Clancy character?

Is this the Alec Baldwin Jack Ryan, Harrison Ford, or Ben Affleck?

(Oh you mean the sex club guy. Well, he'd add some color to the Bush ticket, Cheney's too dull.)

-Ogami

Edited by Ogami, 27 June 2004 - 09:37 PM.

#6 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 09:42 PM

Jack Ryan is a Republican politician formerly married to actress Jeri Ryan, who recently withdrew from a race because he didn't want to deal with the kind of campaign that would result from recent revelations about the nature of their divorce. (He had tried to get her to have sex in kinky sex joints with others around to see it.)

BTW, trying to connect Kerry with Turkish protesters in a wisecrack like the first post here was pretty low. If you want to say he's unAmerican or antiAmerican, make a case from the stuff he says and does.

#7 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 09:58 PM

Ogami, on Jun 27 2004, 10:34 PM, said:

(Oh you mean the sex club guy. Well, he'd add some color to the Bush ticket, Cheney's too dull.)

-Ogami
Cheney used the "F" word to a Senator, so I don't think he's all that dull. ;)
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#8 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 03:23 AM

edited to make people happy and not tarnish the image of the 'Madonna' Clinton.

Edited by G1223, 28 June 2004 - 12:20 PM.

If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#9 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 12:02 PM

^That comment goes over the line G.  Insinuating that someone you don't even know would be an accessory to murder is libelous at best and does not belong on this message board.

This is not my forum, so I am speaking as a fellow poster here.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#10 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 12:23 PM

I'm no fan of Hillary Clinton, but I don't think she wants to be LBJ.  Indeed, it sucked to be LBJ, actually.  At least while he was President anyway.  I doubt that Hillary would want that.

Anyway, I think it's probably best to not accuse people of being murderous when all they've ever been is a senator with some ambitions.  If we implied that the same level of ambition she has equates with potential assasination, I think just about everyone in Congress would be under police survalience.

So, let's not move in that direction with this thread, eh?
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#11 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 03:58 PM

edited to make people happy and not tarnish the image of the 'Madonna' Clinton.

G, why do you always go overboard and claim that if you can't say a certain thing here, it's because everyone else obviously considers your target to be a saint or something wonderful like that? I couldn't care less for the Clintons at this point, but remain a bit suspicious about some of the things claimed about them, because I know that people love to go overboard with conspiracy theories -- so because I don't automatically believe everything you say, I think they're saints? Hardly, boy. Watch the mouth... :rolleyes:
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#12 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 05:17 PM

Delvo wrote:

BTW, trying to connect Kerry with Turkish protesters in a wisecrack like the first post here was pretty low. If you want to say he's unAmerican or antiAmerican, make a case from the stuff he says and does.

I am shocked! (chuckle) Why, I just quoted what the protesters said, I made no observation about who they were. The article said there were representatives of Greenpeace in there, others from Europe, denouncing the "imperialism" of Bush.

Find me something in there different from the rhetoric of Alec Baldwin, Barbara Streisand, Michael Moore, Martin Sheen, Algore, or Nancy Pelosi, and I'll apologize for misconstruing the nature of the protests.  These are Kerry's people, in spirit and intent. :angel:

That's a comment in itself. And very much a real problem for Kerry. For the moderate Democrats, Kerry must distance himself from such hate-crazed kooks. For the progressive Democrats, Kerry must embrace these very same protesters. It's quite a high rope act Kerry has, I don't envy him for it. But I am in no way incorrect or imprecise in noting Kerry's difficulties. And I do so with naked glee.  :D

(Perhaps naked isn't the best term since we're discussing Jack Ryan in this thread.)

-Ogami

Edited by Ogami, 28 June 2004 - 05:20 PM.

#13 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 05:48 PM

I'm not disputing that much of what the two groups say is the same, even if not all of it and not necessarily for the same reasons. But snide cracks like that only UNDERMINE the case that could be made on that subject.

#14 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:43 PM

The case is that Kerry needs both the wackos and the moderates to win, and he can't court one without insulting the other. He's in a pickle, my side just has to sit back and watch him try to please everyone.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2004, John Kerry, Running mate

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users