94 replies to this topic

#1 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 05:23 PM

http://apnews.myway..../D83M50MO0.html

I don't smoke regularly and not at all in the past 5 years  ... but...   Good luck to these folks.  I can certainly empathize with both the pub owners and the patrons who do smoke.

Corwin
"The Enemy is upon us, so Lock and Load, Brothers.  The Emperor Calls and the Forces of Chaos must be driven back.  Though all of us will fall, none of us shall fail!"

#2 Aurelius

Aurelius

Master of the Empire

• Islander
  • 803 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 05:54 PM

Well, frankly, speaking as an Irish nonsmoker, I hope that the Minister and the Government hammer this pub for breaking the law. It's the only way to show the people that they're serious about enforcing it.

I don't believe the claims of the owner of Fibber Magees that business is really bad because of the ban. Certainly it would have had some affect on trade, but the real problem for trade is the massive price of drink. That's what's killing pubs, not the smoking ban.

The ban makes so much sense and it's brilliant to be able to have a night out in a pub and not to come home stinking of smoke and coughing.

Stay the course Micheal Martin, stay the course.

Hail All
Aurelius
"If I had all the answers, I'd run for God"
Cpl. Max Klinger, M*A*S*H

#3 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 06:47 PM

Yes we need to force businesses to drive business away or to open someplace they can smoke. Oh wait they are not allowed to.  Sorry I gave up on Big Brother.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#4 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 07:12 PM

I, for one, welcome our new non-smoking overlords.

I mean, really, if you're going to enforce something that benefits only one segment of society, it might as well be the majority ;)

Edited by Jid, 07 July 2004 - 07:17 PM.

cervisiam tene rem specta

#5 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 01:42 AM

As an asthmatic, and occasional pubgoer i'm with Aurelius on this. The law says no smoking, and if they dont' enforce it, then what legal imprimatur do they have to demand anyone obey the other laws either.

#6 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 05:51 AM

Cyberhippie, on Jul 8 2004, 01:40 AM, said:

As an asthmatic, and occasional pubgoer i'm with Aurelius on this. The law says no smoking, and if they dont' enforce it, then what legal imprimatur do they have to demand anyone obey the other laws either.
And what right do they have to tell people they can't smoke? Because that's pretty much what they're doing.

I know when I was back up in NY, I was having a ball...until I found out that there is no smoking in any public place. Now me being me, I just *had* to do something, so I called several friends of mine...all smokers.

First we went down to a local resturant, made a reservation for 30 people. There was only about 15 of us at the time. And we asked for the smoking section. Upon being informed that there was no longer a smoking section, I asked to see the manager.

When the manager came and repeated that there was no smoking section I told him to cancel my reservation. Because I wouldn't support an establishment that discriminated against smokers. The look on his face as he realized just how much money he was loosing that night was priceless.

We did this to several resturants, and the managers all had the same look of surprise when we told them to cancel our reservation...they definately didn't like loosing the money.

Don't get me wrong, I feel for the non-smokers. That's why I feel it should be up to the individual businesses to decide for themselves whether or not to have a smoking section.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#7 Lord Ravensburg

Lord Ravensburg

All your lightsabers are belong to me

• Islander
  • 533 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 06:05 AM

LORD of the SWORD, on Jul 8 2004, 10:49 AM, said:

And what right do they have to tell people they can't smoke?
They're not saying they can't smoke.  They're saying they can't smoke in certain areas.  Since smokers don't have the right to subject others to their habit, this is entirely appropriate.

#8 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 06:14 AM

LORD of the SWORD, on Jul 8 2004, 04:49 AM, said:

And what right do they have to tell people they can't smoke?
The same right they'd have to tell people that they can't go around a restaurant shining a bare 600W light in people's faces, hitting those little hand-held gongs next to other people's ears, dumping curry powder on other people's food, or poking other people with forks. When one person is attacking another, even if without creating medical problems for the victim (which one could argue that second-hand smoke does), the attack should be stopped.

First we went down to a local resturant... Upon being informed that there was no longer a smoking section, I asked to see the manager... We did this to several resturants, and the managers all had the same look of surprise when we told them to cancel our reservation.
That could very well be literally the most infantile demonstration of stupid selfish pointlessness that I have ever heard of.

#9 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 06:15 AM

LORD of the SWORD, on Jul 8 2004, 11:49 AM, said:

I just had to do something....
What LR said,

just so that I understand you correctly. You decided, to kvetch and moan about the law, book up restaurants you HAD NO INTENTION OF EVER EATING IN, denying those seats to patrons who actually wanted a night out, just so you couyld piss people off?

Dude, that's whacked  :wacko:

#10 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 06:30 AM

LotS - I consider your actions ....inappropriate- and lets leave it at that. The restraunts obeying a law is not a thing they have a choice in once that law becomes a law.

Edited by Shalamar, 08 July 2004 - 06:34 AM.

The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#11 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 08:14 AM

Cyberhippie, on Jul 8 2004, 06:13 AM, said:

just so that I understand you correctly. You decided, to kvetch and moan about the law, book up restaurants you HAD NO INTENTION OF EVER EATING IN, denying those seats to patrons who actually wanted a night out, just so you couyld piss people off?

Dude, that's whacked  :wacko:
Yep, that was pretty much my intention. And it worked...From the look on the manager's face, it was well worth it.

I come from the old school...Where if you frell with me, it's a must that I frell with you back.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#12 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 08:19 AM

Lord Ravensburg, on Jul 8 2004, 06:03 AM, said:

They're not saying they can't smoke.  They're saying they can't smoke in certain areas.  Since smokers don't have the right to subject others to their habit, this is entirely appropriate.
I'm not sure if Irish pubs had, before this ban, a seperate smoking section or not...

In regard to the NY state ban though, I do know that NY state, prior to the complete ban, told restuarants that if they wanted to have a smoking section they had to have a complete seperate ventalitation system for the smoking section. A number of establishments spent the several thousand dollars the seperate system cost...only to be told down the road that it doesn't matter anymore.

IMO, each and every restuarant should sue the state of NY for the cost of those seperate systems.

Bottom line is this: It's suppose to be a free market, and now it isn't. If a restuarant wants to have a smoking section, they should be allowed to have it.

#13 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 08:20 AM

LORD of the SWORD, on Jul 8 2004, 02:12 PM, said:

I come from the old school...Where if you frell with me, it's a must that I frell with you back.
Yes, god forbid that pubs should obey the laws of the land  :rolleyes:

So rather than taking our your ire on the folks that got the law passed, you decided to do it on the pubs.

You know what, I think i agree with Delvo's characterisation of your action. It's like attacking a colleague because the boss said that dress down day was cancelled.

#14 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 08:23 AM

Delvo, on Jul 8 2004, 06:12 AM, said:

The same right they'd have to tell people that they can't go around a restaurant shining a bare 600W light in people's faces, hitting those little hand-held gongs next to other people's ears, dumping curry powder on other people's food, or poking other people with forks. When one person is attacking another, even if without creating medical problems for the victim (which one could argue that second-hand smoke does), the attack should be stopped.
Alright then....no more wearing perfume or cologne when eating out. God knows that some perfumes are downright offensive to the nose, as are some colognes. And little kids....leave them at home folks, because nothing ruins a meal like a screaming infant. And don't even get me started on alcohol....the smell alone is extremely offensive, so forget about that glass of wine with dinner.

If they ban the above I'd have no problem with them banning smokers.

#15 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 08:26 AM

Cyberhippie, on Jul 8 2004, 08:18 AM, said:

So rather than taking our your ire on the folks that got the law passed, you decided to do it on the pubs.

You know what, I think i agree with Delvo's characterisation of your action. It's like attacking a colleague because the boss said that dress down day was cancelled.
I took it out on the restuarants not the pubs. As I understand it, in NY several pub owners got rid of their lottery machines in protest to the ban...costing NY state several million in revenue. So there was no need to do it to the pubs, besides I never heard of someone making reservations at a bar.

#16 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 08:30 AM

LORD of the SWORD, on Jul 8 2004, 02:24 PM, said:

I took it out on the restuarants not the pubs.
You know, that's a great way to completely ignore my point.

Fine, i'll restate, by taking it out on the restaurants it is like taking out your boss decision to ban dress down day on your colleagues.

It is punishing the wrong people for what you perceive as a wrong.

#17 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 08:35 AM

Cyberhippie, on Jul 8 2004, 08:28 AM, said:

You know, that's a great way to completely ignore my point.

Fine, i'll restate, by taking it out on the restaurants it is like taking out your boss decision to ban dress down day on your colleagues.

It is punishing the wrong people for what you perceive as a wrong.
Not really. If enough restuarant owners got together and bitched about it, then perhaps they could've gotten the ban removed.

#18 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 08:36 AM

That presumes the ban is a bad thing. I happen to think it's a good one.

#19 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 08:40 AM

From my understanding of the article.....

This particular pub does have a separate smoking section... upstairs, which leaves the entire downstairs for non-smokers. Unless the upstairs part is open to the downstairs, what's the problem?  (aside from the now  illegal part)

I have asthma as well.... but I do find it quite relaxing to be able to walk into a pub here and light up my pipe if I choose to do so.  I would not do so if I was among a crowd of non-smokers though, that's just being rude.

Corwin
"The Enemy is upon us, so Lock and Load, Brothers.  The Emperor Calls and the Forces of Chaos must be driven back.  Though all of us will fall, none of us shall fail!"

#20 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,348 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 09:34 AM

I'm ashmatic and I still think a ban is wrong.  Why?  Because it should be up to the individual busineess owner if they want to allow smoking or not.  

Why the hell should the government get involved in something it has no right to get involved in?

Oh, and BTW, I know some nice people that smoke.  Should I deprive myself of their company simply because they smoke.  No.

They don't always smoke around me but sometimes they do.  Gues what?  I suck it up because I like them.

I hardly think being in a non smoking section away from the smoking section for however long it takes to eat is a big health threat.
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Smoking, Irish Pubs, Bans

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users